Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 13th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 122Thanks
    lovehols
    Seller Offered us Keys before Completion
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    Seller Offered us Keys before Completion 13th Mar 18 at 10:40 PM
    We have exchanged and due to complete on 22/03. The house is empty and the seller is dealing with probate. We are in regular contact with him and he has been very reasonable. He text asking if we want to meet up over the weekend and get the keys. I did text back saying I didn't think we were suppose to have them until completion and he said he trusted us and if we want them we can have them.

It's only a few days before completion but this extra weekend would give us a head start in cleaning and ripping the dog sh*t stained carpets up which he knows we need to do as it's been a long standing joke about the carpets (!) and some cleaning as the house has been empty for 9 months. We would literally only plan on transporting lots of cleaning products and ripping the carpet up but this extra weekend would be a godsend.

We have buildings and contents insurance in place but is there any possible downside or things we should be aware of.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 7,845 Posts
    • 8,030 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers, but if you're just clearing stuff out etc rather than investing s in it then not much risk.
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 13th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    lovehols
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers, but if you're just clearing stuff out etc rather than investing s in it then not much risk.
    Originally posted by davidmcn

Yes literally taking up carpets and putting them in outbuilding til the following weekend when my dad will do a tip run and cleaning the concrete floors. Hopefully a few days without the carpets will mean some of the smell will have gone by time the 22/03 arrives.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 13th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    betsie
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    We have been lucky to have the keys after exchange on an empty house. It makes such a difference being able to clean in advance of move in day. We cleared the whole place out and started on the garden.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th Mar 18, 12:18 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:18 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:18 AM
    This is really a risk for the seller rather than the buyer.

If the seller is happy to give you early access, I can't see the problem.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 17,045 Posts
    • 8,932 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    You have exchanged contracts. You are legally bound to purchase the property.

Personally I would have no issue giving you the keys as the vendor/taking the keys as the buyer. It might be worth doubling checking what the potential pitfalls of you taking the keys now are - if any.

You should have buildings insurance in place also.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Exchange has already happened. If the vendor pulls out now, all costs would be covered.

I really don't see an issue here, tbh. Accept his kind offer.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 7,845 Posts
    • 8,030 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    Exchange has already happened. If the vendor pulls out now, all costs would be covered.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    More likely to fall apart for some reason on the purchaser's side, in which case (as well as all their other losses) they also won't recoup whatever they've done to the house. Not much in this case but I'd hesitate before e.g. installing a shiny new kitchen.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 43,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    Personally - I'm thinking "If only...." if I'd had an offer like that, then I would certainly have accepted it and said "Thank you nicely" for it.

I had the frustrating situation with starter house of walking past it and seeing it was sitting there empty for weeks between Exchange and Completion. It would have helped a lot if I could have just got on and given it a good clean/had a chance to change the locks in advance/generally think about where I wanted everything.

EDIT; Practical point time - is there going to be water available to do that cleaning? Though - goodness knows - it will be a help even to be able to just rip out the carpets and sweep the place.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    Personally - I'm thinking "If only...." if I'd had an offer like that, then I would certainly have accepted it and said "Thank you nicely" for it.

I had the frustrating situation with starter house of walking past it and seeing it was sitting there empty for weeks between Exchange and Completion. It would have helped a lot if I could have just got on and given it a good clean/had a chance to change the locks in advance/generally think about where I wanted everything.

EDIT; Practical point time - is there going to be water available to do that cleaning? Though - goodness knows - it will be a help even to be able to just rip out the carpets and sweep the place.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm astonished given how you have mentioned on several threads about the 'proper' length of time there should be between exchange and completion.

With regards water, if it's been turned off at the stopc o c k then it's a simple enough job to turn it on, nobody comes out from the water company to do it.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 25,317 Posts
    • 93,080 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I moved in before completion. It was a long time ago, when squatters were in the news, so the sight of 'my' empty house just sitting there was a concern.

I knew the vendor and the vendor's POA wouldn't be coming around, so when British Gas had the keys to do some mortgage retention work, I borrowed them, had them copied and that was it.

Saved hundreds of miles of commuting too.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 43,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm astonished given how you have mentioned on several threads about the 'proper' length of time there should be between exchange and completion.

With regards water, if it's been turned off at the stopc o c k then it's a simple enough job to turn it on, nobody comes out from the water company to do it.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Yep...as I recall - the vendor was doing the "proper" length of time between Exchange and Completion.

I accepted that (though it meant a few weeks of rent money thrown away). They had actually moved already - and so didnt need any time for doing "whatever-it-was" and/or continuing to live there for a while.

I was doing it all officially - and pointing out they didnt need the use of the house any more and asking if I could get in to clean it as soon as Exchanged had happened. They refused.

The most I would have done unofficially was that I was going to move in on scheduled Completion Day - even if Completion hadnt happened due to someone-elses'-fault. But that went according to plan and I wasnt having to search for a brick to go through single-glazed window whilst removal van was parked outside waiting to unload.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    So the 'proper' period of time between exchange and completion should be whatever the buyers and sellers in a chain agree is convenient to them, not some artificial wierd convention.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 14th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 3,814 Thanks
    cajef
    Yep...as I recall - the vendor was doing the "proper" length of time between Exchange and Completion.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    What is the 'proper length of time', two hours, two days, two weeks, two months?

As far as I am aware the length of time between exchange and completion can be any time that is agreed at the exchange of contracts.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 10,652 Posts
    • 13,935 Thanks
    hazyjo
    What is the 'proper length of time', two hours, two days, two weeks, two months?

As far as I am aware the length of time between exchange and completion can be any time that is agreed at the exchange of contracts.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Many moons ago, everyone had around four weeks. Money is under the impression this is still the case. Just an outdated view really. I'd class 'proper' or 'normal' to be more like 1-2 weeks in this day and age.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • cajef
    • By cajef 14th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 3,814 Thanks
    cajef
    Many moons ago, everyone had around four weeks.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Not in my moons and I have bought and sold many properties since 1970 and always agreed my own proper time with the vendor or buyer.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 14th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    I did this, had carpets ripped up and gutted the place before completion.

As long as you're aware of associated risks - if it falls through you'll have to put it back to as it was.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 44,463 Posts
    • 52,798 Thanks
    G_M
    If you were the seller asking about this, I'd be urging caution.

But you're the buyer.....

I once had early access and by Completion had installed all new UPVC windows, painted every room, re-carpeted, fixed the fitted kitchen, tidied the garden and advertised the property.

I had a tenant installed 2 days after Completion.......
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    We have done it twice.

First time in England when a problem with the vendor getting the money from his building society which arose the day before we were due to move in. Our furniture was already on its way from Scotland.

The vendor already had the keys for the house they were moving to and had moved thier furniture so offered us the keys.

The completion didn't happen until about 4 weeks later.

Both solicitors were not happy we had done it.

Second time was our current home. the transfer of our buyer's money was delayed , We only found out at 4pm the day we were moving.( Friday) when the furniture was on the van and on the road.
    The vendors had moved out and offered to meet us at the house that night to give us the keys.

The money was received on the Monday.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 14th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    ThePants999
    I would definitely agree to this, and by way of thanks, I'd also offer to take over the electricity/gas/water early so that the seller isn't paying the standing charge (or for any of my usage).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter