Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,287Posts
    • 1,742Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    redirect on ebay
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    redirect on ebay 13th Mar 18 at 9:53 PM
    just started happening today , ebay keeps redirecting to another web site , run all anti malware and add on progs , coming back clean

only happening on ebay uk , no other sites , anyone having same problem?
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 60,337 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    Despite running a virus checker this still sounds like you have some sort of malware on your PC. Try asking on the techie board about a proper deep clean of your PC.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,742 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    thank you , I do often "give" advice on the tech forum , this is only happening on ebay Uk , the redirect goes to gamiss.com

as this seemed specific to ebay , I thought to ask on this forum rather than the general tech forum
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    Not getting any issues here. Perhaps it is a tech issue rather than an issue with eBay?
    • amadeus53
    • By amadeus53 14th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amadeus53
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    Hii,

Just registered my account to post on this topic, happening since yesterday afternoon on both my browsers, chrome and firefox, its a malware infecting you via some ebay code or not sure what, redirects you to gamiss site which is a fake e-com store.

So far not able to remove this trojan or whatever it is. Only affects ebay uk site.
    • amadeus53
    • By amadeus53 14th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amadeus53
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    Similar issue a person is having with tomshardware website, he has posted github link and on tomshardware forums if you search on google since i can't paste links here.

Seems like its with an ad technology that ebay and site like these use and those spammers are exploiting it...
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 14th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    I've had this every so often with ebay. Usually I think it's been when viewing a listing (so a code in a listing would have made sense), but had it yesterday on the search page. I clicked back, it did it again so I clicked back, changed a search preference at the side (e.g. clicked new or UK only) before it could redirect again and then it was fine.

Had it on different laptops and desktops and the site it redirects to is always different. Malware, spyware and virus checks always back clean.

I'm sure in the past I've cleared all cookies, history etc. on my browser. I've checked through files/folders to see if I can find anything that looks odd, but might not be picked up in a seach. Nothing.

It doesn't do it often, it's very random and I don't know what causes it. Nothing else appears affected. It only happens on ebay.

I think it's something with the ebay site, perhaps even account specific. Ebay are known for having bugs, some of which only affect certain accounts. Wouldn't surprise me if there is some coding somewhere that isn't working as it is meant to and is causing redirecting. For example, an ad code that instead of displaying the ad redirects to their site. It is odd though.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 18, 2:45 AM
    • 26,972 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:45 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:45 AM
    I use noscript which prevents naughty scripts trying to redirect.

The page will either work normally or i get a box appear saying the sites trying to access another url.

Like this website trying to connect to chartbeat and visualweboptimiser as well as google stuff.

I can see what its connecting to and choose whether to allow it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin