Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vorietons
    • By vorietons 13th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    vorietons
    Conditions imposed to exercise warranty rights
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    Conditions imposed to exercise warranty rights 13th Mar 18 at 9:37 PM
    Brief Background
    • Bought (new) Sony smartphone from Amazon.co.uk in Dec-17
    • Device had connectivity issues that were resolved (software update) around end of Jan-18
    • Device had (still has) touchscreen issues along edges
    • Device has developed severe touchscreen responsiveness issues (that appear to be software-related, as they are intermittent)
    • Device has two years' warranty and is not physically damaged or marked in any way

Situation

Sony Mobile UK has a well-established online process for sending in a device (freepost) for "repair". I phoned their Help line and was advised to follow this process, which seemed reasonable, so I started to fill it out.

The Conditions
    The final page of the process contains a note:
    Note: If the damage to your device is not covered by warranty, we will send you a quotation for the repair cost. If you choose to not accept our quotation, we can either return your device at the cost of 20.54 GBP or recycle it for free.
    Where a quotation to fix your device has been refused by you, and the device is held unrepaired for more than 90 days of the quotation date and you have not requested the device back from us and/or not paid delivery charges for its return, you agree for Sony Mobile to dispose of the device in an environmentally friendly way.
    It would seem that by submitting the form and entering the "Repair" process (remember: this is for a faulty device, not a damaged item), I am required to:

1. Assert, at least implicitly, that the device is damaged, and;
    2. Agree to the imposition, at the manufacturer's discretion, of a 20.54 fee for the return of my device, with the understanding that refusal to pay any fee so imposed will result in the confiscation of my property

Questions

1. Am I being unreasonable to think that this represents a dilution of my Consumer Rights under the warranty, in requiring me to accept these conditions?
    2. Can anyone point me to anything (e.g., on citizensadvice.org) that would explain whether (or not) I'm right in thinking that access to my warranted rights should not be subject to conditions and threat of punitive action of the part of the warranting party?

References

One example (of many) of forum threads of Sony Mobile's site where the touchscreen issues are discussed (and lamented as recurring after "repair" by authorised Service Centres):
    search for "sonymobile 1225456" and it should be in the first couple of results

• I replicated the issue on two display handsets at different mobile phone shops myself; it appears a very widespread issue, although with differing levels of severity

The eventually-resolved Wi-Fi/BlueTooth issues are discussed in this forum thread (amongst many others):
    search for "sonymobile 1277342" and it should be in the first couple of results

• Basically, you could use Wi-Fi or BlueTooth reliably only if one of them was switched off
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    Your consumer rights are with the retailer not the manufacturer (unless you purchased directly from the manufacturer). If you don't like Sony's warranty policy, raise an RMA with Amazon. (You're within 6 months from purchase so any fault is deemed inherent and the retailer must prove otherwise if they wish to avoid providing a remedy).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • vorietons
    • By vorietons 14th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vorietons
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, @DoaM.

Leaves me wondering why Sony Mobile didn't point me straight back at Amazon.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 6,156 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    Your consumer rights are with the retailer not the manufacturer (unless you purchased directly from the manufacturer). If you don't like Sony's warranty policy, raise an RMA with Amazon. (You're within 6 months from purchase so any fault is deemed inherent and the retailer must prove otherwise if they wish to avoid providing a remedy).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    My experience with Amazon and a faulty phone is that they'll refund without quibble once their courier has the phone back.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, @DoaM.

Leaves me wondering why Sony Mobile didn't point me straight back at Amazon.
    Originally posted by vorietons
    Because they can't get any money out of you if you deal with Amazon. It's not their job to explain your consumer rights to you. Personally I no longer buy Sony products because of an acrimonious warranty dispute I had with them over 20 years ago.
    • bris
    • By bris 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    Why is the text so small? It's not as if you cant it it all in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin