Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 13th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 118Thanks
    RealGem
    Am I Eligible For a Grant For a Washing Machine?
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    Am I Eligible For a Grant For a Washing Machine? 13th Mar 18 at 8:11 PM
    Hi,

I have a disposable income of about 20 a month after all bills and food. I already cut meat out because I can't afford it.

But my washing machine is about to croak.

I am on a very low income. Am I eligible for a grant (or a donated appliance from a charity) if I don't have dependents? It's just me.

I get ESA, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

There is no launderette near me.

I'm asking because I know someone in a similar situation who got a cooker from Currys paid for by a local charity. I think they had a support worker though.

Thank you
    Last edited by RealGem; 13-03-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
Page 2
    • John-K
    • By John-K 14th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    John-K
    Privately owned businesses are still governed under the law. I am sure MSE Forum are transparent enough to moderate in compliance with Article 10, whether optional or not.
    Originally posted by Controversial-Liberty
    Oh, for goodness sake, you were not using hyperbole, you really believe that the site is obliged to let you post what you want!

That is imbecilic.

https://xkcd.com/1357/

This obviously refers to a foreign land, but the point stands...
    • John-K
    • By John-K 14th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    John-K
    Unlike some, I do understand that.

When people demand you not to post such opinion or threaten to tattle tail to the moderation staff, I would consider that an attack on freedom of speech and diversity of opinion.

It was capitalized because the context of the three words were sourced from Article 10 of Human Rights rather than the standard phrase of freedom of speech vs. Freedom of Speech.
    Oh dear.

That law says nothing about you being able to post here, it is utterly irrelevant so no, you clearly do not understand it. How can you not? The article does not protect your right to post here. It is silent on the subject. It protects you from the state taking actions against you.

This is really simple stuff. No-one is stupid enough to not understand this, so you are trolling, and I!!!8217;ll leave you to it.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    diggingdude
    can't the troll just leave threads alone if they have nothing positive to contribute. If you have a child a referral to the Buttle Trust is what I used to do for people
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 16,400 Posts
    • 41,449 Thanks
    elsien
    No harsh, offensive or otherwise prohibited language was used.

Please do not question Freedom of Speech when executed in tolerant form.
    Does freedom of speech not give them the right to question your freedom of speech then? Or is the good old double standard alive and well and living in controversial-liberty?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 14th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    Have you ever considered something called employment? If you are living on the bear minimum, perhaps it would be wise to pause reliance on the state and step into the world of the working class.

As for the washing machine, ask for credit. Once you've found employment, even if it is cleaning out the bins, the re-payments will be manageable.

I am sure those who prey on the vulnerable like Vanquis or Satsuma Loans will be more than graceful to accept your credit application.
    I forgive you for making assumptions that I am fit for work.

I forgive you for not being aware that I am learning to work from home online (studying 28 hours a week) because I have had my PIP and severe disability premium taken away (more than 70% of my former benefits) since the assessors now famously receive high commissions to throw as many PIP cases out as possible (reported about MANY times on this forum. Do you say the same to them?)

I forgive you for suggesting I apply for credit. I cannot apply for credit because since my money has been reduced by such a lot, I went over my overdraft limit, and now owe the bank money, which is being paid back via StepChange the debt charity by so much each month taken out of my bank account. As I am on a Debt Management Plan, my credit score is shot for six years, so no I cannot ask for credit.

I don't forgive you for your disgusting tone, because no matter what your opinion, we should still be able to share our views and advice whilst being respectful and civil to each other. I doubt you would like to be spoken down to like that.

To partially quote your own judgemental phrase;
    Have YOU ever considered something called... Thinking before you Type - that there might be a perfectly good explanation as to why I am on such a low income?

Thank you to everyone else who left very helpful responses. I made some phone calls today based on the links you gave above, and will go to the Citizens Advice Bureau next week.

People only get upset
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 14th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    Try hand washing or your local free to you site on facebook
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    Thanks I handwashed when I was a student years ago, and had a great little spin dryer. Sadly I am not fit enough to handwash large items anymore. They get very heavy when full of water.

I didn't know about Free To You Facebook groups. I will have a look, thank you.
    People only get upset
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 14th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    That's extremely harsh!! You don't know anything about the OP to judge them! The OP claims ESA so they obviously have a health condition that limits or even stops them from being able to work.

This forum isn't here to judge people. I have no idea why you joined the forum to judge this person when they've simply come here for advice. You should leave the forum the same way you joined and find the nearest door. What a horrible judgmental person you are.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Thanks a lot Poppy12345!

Hope my new support worker is as good as you are!
    People only get upset
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 14th Mar 18, 10:00 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    Surely the fact they get ESA would tell you that they are medically unable to work. Ordid you miss that part oh wise one. I am using my right of free speech to propose that you are a moron. Obviously you will not be offended by this as you support the right of free speech.
    Originally posted by Ron2017
    Thank you Ron2017. Very well put!

I notice all their posts have been deleted. Luckily, some very helpful people, incuding yourself, quoted CL in their responses, or I would not have seen their subsequent pathetic comments!
    Last edited by RealGem; 14-03-2018 at 10:35 PM.
    People only get upset
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 14th Mar 18, 11:09 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ron2017
    Thank you Ron2017. Very well put!

I notice all their posts have been deleted. Luckily, some very helpful people, incuding yourself, quoted CL in their responses, or I would not have seen their subsequent pathetic comments!
    Originally posted by RealGem
    I must say i'm baffled by the whole thing. Never in my life would I take the time to go onto anywhere and just be spiteful. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
    I hope you get your machine sorted.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 14th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 17,244 Posts
    • 30,375 Thanks
    Ames
    It looks like they've been banned, so probably best to just stop talking about them.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    venison
    I know its a well trodden path but the advice not to "feed the trolls" is good advice, and please try not to copy post that are obviously controversial and or break the rules.

Thanks all x
    Ex Board Guide
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th Mar 18, 6:03 AM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Try hand washing or your local free to you site on facebook
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    Bit tricky to hand wash sheets, towels and duvet covers.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 16th Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 2,007 Thanks
    _shel
    Bit tricky to hand wash sheets, towels and duvet covers.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Not really I did it for about 3 years with only the help of a 30 drainboard spinner
    • venison
    • By venison 16th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    venison
    OP this might help if you are still following this tread
    https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits
    Ex Board Guide
    • Wizardy18
    • By Wizardy18 16th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Wizardy18
    Wash your clothes in the bath for now, simple.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin