Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Julie Wellington
    • By Julie Wellington 13th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Julie Wellington
    Hotel compensation due to cancelled flight?
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    Hotel compensation due to cancelled flight? 13th Mar 18 at 7:47 PM
    EasyJet cancelled our flight from Bristol to Tenerife on 1.3.18 because of snow - other flights were still operating that day. We hadn't left for the airport & we subsequently rebooked our flight at no extra charge - no quibble with EasyJet. Our hotel's cancellation policy was "non-refundable" - they refused to refund or move our dates. Our travel insurance company - Alpha - also refused to pay because of adverse weather conditions. Is this correct? Is there anything else we can do? Thank you.
Page 1
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 14th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    The airline has no responsibility for accommodation you could not use but whether your insurers should pay depends entirely on the terms of the contract of insurance. You need to read the documentation, generally the cheaper the insurance the lower the cover and the more exceptions there are. Although I haven't read all the terms, there certainly appears to be delay cover at 20 per 12 hours so you might have 40 per person at least!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Tyzap
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    If you used a C/C to pay the hotel they will be jointly responsible. They may refund the whole amount for you, try that route.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    If you used a C/C to pay the hotel they will be jointly responsible. They may refund the whole amount for you, try that route.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Are you talking about S75 claims? If so, that requires a breach of contract (as I understand it).
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 15th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    Are you talking about S75 claims? If so, that requires a breach of contract (as I understand it).
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Exactly. If the hotel wasn't in breach of contract ( and it sounds as if they weren't) the credit card company isn't liable under S75
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 15th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Vauban
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    Exactly. If the hotel wasn't in breach of contract ( and it sounds as if they weren't) the credit card company isn't liable under S75
    Originally posted by legal magpie
    Yes. But I read of some examples of the cc company for whom the flight was booked being responsible for the consequential losses (such as unused accommodation).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin