Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 13th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 2,280Posts
    • 24,892Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    "First grade loose roots"
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    "First grade loose roots" 13th Mar 18 at 7:30 PM
    I assume the above actually means "bare roots", but if I buy these types now (in spring) will they grow this year or will they be dormant until next year?
    Only asking because a Google search seems to imply that you buy bare roots in winter when they establish and emerge in spring.
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 26,118 Posts
    • 35,097 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    Anything in particular?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    I agree with peter_the_piper. You don't say where you are, but spring is coming in pretty slowly in Yorkshire, so you would be OK around here for a couple more weeks. Clock's ticking, though.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    It's just a poncey way of describing bare root plants, and yes, it's still fine to plant these now.

Looks like Parkers are the place that uses this description. They get 'mixed' reviews...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.jparkers.co.uk
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 14th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 24,892 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    Yes, I'm in Yorkshire where it's still freezing.
    I was looking at the wholesale section of Parkers.
    I know they get mixed reviews, but they're the only wholesalers I can find who supply to public and you don't have to buy hundreds. If anyone knows of another, I'd be grateful for the tip.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    Now is a really good time to generally plant bare roots - but as others said not for much longer.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    Yes, I'm in Yorkshire where it's still freezing.
    I was looking at the wholesale section of Parkers.
    I know they get mixed reviews, but they're the only wholesalers I can find who supply to public and you don't have to buy hundreds. If anyone knows of another, I'd be grateful for the tip.
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    What are you after and how many? It's hard to advise without knowing what you might want.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 14th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 24,892 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    What are you after and how many? It's hard to advise without knowing what you might want.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Probably about 150 plants in total.
    Mostly perennials (delphiniums, echinacea, astrantia, peonies etc), but some for shade (ferns), shrubs (buddleia).
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 6,238 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    Farway
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    Mostly perennials (delphiniums, echinacea, astrantia, peonies etc), but some for shade (ferns), shrubs (buddleia).
    Depending how quickly you want them to grow, buddlia take very easily from hard cuttings so you could only buy a few and spend the rest of the dosh on the others

Just treat the buddlia prunings as hard wood cuttings, they only need pushing into the soil
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There's loads of mail order nurseries.

For shade plants, my default response is:

https://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/

but there are other nurseries with more limited selections of the more bog-standard perennials:

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Claire Austin has bare root peonies:
    https://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/t/plants/peonies

as do the go-to firm for those:

https://www.kelways.co.uk/category/peonies/1/

Prices may well be higher in these nurseries, but bear in mind that plants come in different sizes and stages of maturity. Also, although bare root is fine for some plants, for others it can be better to get a small plant in a 9cm pot.

I agree with Farway about buddleia. Buy three, get 15!
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 15th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    rosy10
    I've used Parkers wholesale. I find they're good for bulbs/corms/tubers; bit pricey on shrubs given the size of the plant, (I have a very good independent plant nursery nearby - always worth checking out independents); Parkers perennials are v. small and I've had some failures (though I've never had a problem with getting replacements). The prices shown are ex VAT so 20% needs to be factored in on anything not classified as an edible. Another approach on perennials could be to buy a good size plant from a decent nursery with a view to splitting. Happy planting!
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 20th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    I would be very wary of planting Buddleia, especially B. Davidii, due to it's invasive nature. It will readily seed almost anywhere, even in the mortar between bricks. Thus it's roots swell in the mortar on buildings and cause untold damage to masonry.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I would be very wary of planting Buddleia, especially B. Davidii, due to it's invasive nature. It will readily seed almost anywhere, even in the mortar between bricks. Thus it's roots swell in the mortar on buildings and cause untold damage to masonry.
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Although if your masonry is in good condition and you keep other parts of your property properly maintained, this probably won't happen.

You'll likely have a few seedlings though, which should be removed, because they'll be inferior plants.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 20th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Although if your masonry is in good condition and you keep other parts of your property properly maintained, this probably won't happen.

You'll likely have a few seedlings though, which should be removed, because they'll be inferior plants.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I've seen them easily take root in gutters, on chimney stacks and in the mortar courses of brick walls. They seem to be able to take root almost anywhere and of course if they do take route in any brickwork then the integrity of that brickwork will be compromised as the roots swell.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 20th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 26,118 Posts
    • 35,097 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    A quick squirt with roundup solves the problem quite quickly.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The fact that buddleia are seen on old, badly maintained buildings, maybe 4 floors up, indicates how small and wind-driven the seeds are.

So it doesn't matter whether an individual grows them; the seeds will still be around, especially in urban areas. There will be neighbours and pieces of waste land with them nearby.

There isn't anything quite as effective as buddleia for attracting butterflies, which is why I grow them. I don't think they're the only reason, but friends about a mile away had few butterflies last year, when I was counting up to 30 at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter