Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chalky2011
    • By chalky2011 13th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 3Thanks
    chalky2011
    Can I claim back tax on unused fuel on fuel card
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    Can I claim back tax on unused fuel on fuel card 13th Mar 18 at 7:17 PM
    Hi, I am again deciding whether to take a company car or opt out and take a car allowance. If I take the company car I also get a fuel card but the BiK for this fuel card is horrendous (5600) more than the actual BIK for the car! I have worked out I would need to do 20000 miles just to break even and I typically do 12000 miles a year, roughly 3000 of which are personal. I am in construction and I am wondering is there a way I can take the company car option with the fuel card and claim back tax I have paid on fuel I have not used in previous year? Because my company has fuel cards all mileage is logged so should have all figures too hand. I wouldn't mind paying for the fuel if I was anywhere near using the full amount. Is there any way of reducing the fuel tax side of the BIK.
    Any suggestions welcome.

P
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 12,738 Thanks
    molerat
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    2 options as long as the employer will do it.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advisory-fuel-rates/when-you-can-use-advisory-fuel-rates
    Last edited by molerat; 14-03-2018 at 2:24 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,065Posts Today

7,784Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin