Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 13th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 223Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    Won a comp, received letter asking for photo
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    Won a comp, received letter asking for photo 13th Mar 18 at 7:10 PM
    I received a letter today to inform me that I have won 200 from a That's Life magazine competition that I entered recently. The letter states that to receive the money, I must send in a photo of myself and a story of around 50 words explaining what it felt like to be a winner. I am chuffed to have won, but slightly nervous about my photo appearing in a national magazine. I'm the type who tends to avoid the spotlight as much as I can. I was wondering if any other compers have appeared in a magazine or any other publication after winning a prize?
Page 1
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 41,632 Posts
    • 6,513,871 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    I've appeared in the local paper after winning a prize - companies offer prizes for the publicity so I think it's good to co-operate when asked to do something reasonable.

In this particular case, the winners photos in the mags are usually so small that you wouldn't recognise your own mother, and I bet that hardly anyone looks at them anyway.
    • Freelikeabird
    • By Freelikeabird 13th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    Freelikeabird
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    You could always try a bit of a subtle disguise if you're not completely comfortable - if they haven't specified what to do in the photo you could have someone take your picture rather than a selfie (so you're further from the camera), and be outside with sunglasses or a hat or something on? Congratulations on the win!
    • Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 17,879 Posts
    • 981,160 Thanks
    Daphne01
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    I once appeared as an Elf in a puzzle magazine after sending in a photo to win a cash prize.
    They put the winners on the second page and added special effects to make you an elf or (the lucky 1st prize winner) Santa.

I won 25

Personnally I wouldn't lie about a bereavement as it could be tempting fate but making up the 50 word story and sending a photo of a pet with the cheque or just the cheque would be better IMHO

Congrats on your win
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• mansey
    • By mansey 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 14,567 Thanks
    mansey
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    I won with a company last year and when I went to collect the cheque they took a photo of me and my hubby shaking the managers hand while accepting the cheque, I was there less than 10 minutes our photo was on their website and in their magazine.
    Well worth it to my reckoning for the prize.

As mentioned above competitions are for publicity and we have to scratch each others backs
    Last edited by mansey; 13-03-2018 at 9:46 PM.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    !!!8213; Billy Joel

"You are awful - but I do like you! - Mandy
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 13th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 14,032 Posts
    • 867,974 Thanks
    thingamaBob
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    Pretty standard for Bauer Mag comps. I won 500 with Take a Break last year. I eMailed a few words about how good it was to win and attached a head and shoulders photo which was published in their next issue. Other winners were shown with just a blank outline presumably because they didn't supply a photo.
    Bob
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Omar Khayyam
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 18,547 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    I try to avoid publicity too, but I don't mind writing a few lines of thanks and something about the prize and/or post a picture of it-I think it's a nice gesture. I will also compliment the person who I was in contact was about the prize if they were particularly helpful.
    • GHolmesAdmin
    • By GHolmesAdmin 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    GHolmesAdmin
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    I've dodged a bullet a couple of times when asked to take part in publicity I will strictly not supply a photograph of me with a prize for personal privacy reasons, usually a claim to be too busy works if not then at best they will get a photo of my cat and the prize unless of course my camera breaks.
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 14th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 10,076 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    I also won a prize from there and it requested a photo- but the cheque was included so I didn!!!8217;t send a photo and nobody chased it up.
    • sandeepg
    • By sandeepg 14th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 7,828 Thanks
    sandeepg
    My wife won a 14 nights cruise trip in 2015 worth 8750. Take a break requested us to send them a photo with the story. A full sized photo along with the story was published.

It is fair to fulfill the requests made by them prize provider as they want to use it for promotion, which will in return help them to attract more customers.
    Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing

Never never give-up
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 14th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 95,836 Thanks
    Blulu
    I've done this a few times. I quite like it. But each to their own. If you're worried about sending a photo of yourself, how about doing something that doesn't show who you are, like a close of just your hand holding the prize. The 50 words could explain that you are shy about having your pic taken.

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 14th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    You could always ask a friend to help? I have no issue showing my face but if I was uncomfortable with it, i'd maybe ask a friend to use a picture of them and offer to buy them some lunch or something as a thank you
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 14th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 9,320 Posts
    • 57,446 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I've just won a prize and they've asked for a photo which I will provide when the prize arrives. More than happy to provide this, even though I don't like my photo being taken, I may digitally enhance it haha
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 38,549 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I have been asked a few questions for a press release before and my answers were turned (edited) into about a 300 word article and published across social media, their website, email newsletter and physical newsletter. They asked for a photo, so I sent them one of the prize (without me in it) and they didn!!!8217;t mind.

I have seen several people over the years mention That!!!8217;s Life asking for a photo, but I have won 3 times with them (100 each time) and every time I just get a congratulations letter with the cheque attached......they never ask for or mention a photo or statement etc.........should I be insulted? Haha

.....or do they just pick people at random and only ask a few each week?
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 14-03-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 14th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 141,288 Posts
    • 4,048,953 Thanks
    fire**fly
    I received a letter today to inform me that I have won 200 from a That's Life magazine competition that I entered recently. The letter states that to receive the money, I must send in a photo of myself and a story of around 50 words explaining what it felt like to be a winner. I am chuffed to have won, but slightly nervous about my photo appearing in a national magazine. I'm the type who tends to avoid the spotlight as much as I can. I was wondering if any other compers have appeared in a magazine or any other publication after winning a prize?
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas

lol, theres no worries you don't have to send a picture,
    ive won on many mag comps & been asked to send a pic but
    have always declined stating I have no recent photographs along with a thank you for my win etc & still received the win.
    ''Be happy for this moment.
    This moment is your life''
    Omar Khayyam.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin