Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 13th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 28Thanks
    ecclesto
    Differing advice on moving meters
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    Differing advice on moving meters 13th Mar 18 at 6:30 PM
    I am drowning in advice from so called 'builders' and don't know who to believe. I have got quotes for a garage conversion into part garage storage and part utility with downstairs toilet and shower. The problem seems to be the gas and water meter which are placed on either side of the walls. Some builders have said they will box these meters in, one even said he would box it in in the shower room (even I know this is not good) but one has now said you shouldn't box the meters in at all. If I have to have them moved, I will use the correct people but have been warned it is very expensive to get them moved. How can the experts give such conflicting advice?
Page 1
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    Is the current garage single skinned brick and if so,are they going to built internal breeze brick walls to form a cavity?

some pics would be useful.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ecclesto
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    The garage is an integral one and both of the walls where the meters are situated, are inside walls. they were going to build a breeze block wall to separate the storage from the utility. I will try and post photos.
    • J B
    • By J B 13th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    but one has now said you shouldn't box the meters in at all......
    Originally posted by ecclesto
    Hmmm

Both our meters are in proprietary boxes - one wall mounted and one floor mounted.

Expert advice - don't you just love it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin