Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 9,322Posts
    • 57,501Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    New Scam
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    New Scam 13th Mar 18 at 6:27 PM
    Hi

I received a message from a buyer today stating that there is a bug in Ebay and/or Paypal systems that causes the last letter of her postcode to change when she purchases something and because it is the wrong postcode then RM will not deliver? I've already shipped it.

Laughable I know. Luckily it was only a low value item.

I totally don't believe the buyer, given that there is only one road in her town with the same name.

Posting here just to remind others to check addresses on RM website before shipping. I am not a business seller and had a lot of items sold around the same time so must have missed checking this one.

Ms Choc
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 3,370 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    It doesn't sound like a scam to me. It sounds like someone who knows all their mail is slow and arrives with the wrong post code on, but they can't figure out it's the paypal address.

Under the eBay user agreement, it is the customers duty to provide an accurate shipping address. Based on the message they've already sent to you, you would probably get eBays backing if it failed to get delivered. (and eBay backed me up when it happened - they take this quite seriously)
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 13th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    Agree with the above. Last letter of the postcode won't make much difference. It will most likely get there in the end but slowly if its the wrong address. Even if they convinced you to change it to a slightly incorrect postcode then I don't see what difference it would really make. If it couldn't be delivered then it would be returned.

Not everyone on Ebay is out to get you.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    We had something similar with paypal - except in our case it was the first letter of the postcode that was missing, so a couple of parcels ended up far, far away.

Luckily, the post office must have realised that the post code was wrong and re-directed both parcels.

Paypal couldn't explain why the first letter had been 'dropped', but it seems to be ok now.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 9,322 Posts
    • 57,501 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    Sorry I should have added more. The buyer said that Royal Mail will NOT deliver but other delivery companies will.

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 9,469 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    Agree with the above. Last letter of the postcode won't make much difference.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Might depend on whether the last letter is valid or not... In my street, changing the last A to B just means it ends up a block further on, changing the last A to Z means it ends up on the other side of the road but changing the last A to V becomes invalid. So RM might have to check and put it to one side but another courier just goes by the road name - and then gets lost because they use a satnav to actually get there...
    Womble #7 - Running Total 9.68 $1.99 3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 9,322 Posts
    • 57,501 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    Might depend on whether the last letter is valid or not... In my street, changing the last A to B just means it ends up a block further on, changing the last A to Z means it ends up on the other side of the road but changing the last A to V becomes invalid. So RM might have to check and put it to one side but another courier just goes by the road name - and then gets lost because they use a satnav to actually get there...
    Originally posted by NBLondon

Just checked and the postcode is the same street name, obviously it's a long road so the postcode last letter changes for the other end of the street.

• custardy
    • By custardy 14th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 33,462 Posts
    • 28,355 Thanks
    custardy
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    Last letter wont make any difference except the sorting machines wont read it.
    first part with letters/numbers gets it to its delivery office.
    DOs dont use postcodes for delivery sorting unlss its an address query.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 18, 2:42 AM
    • 26,967 Posts
    • 10,865 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:42 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:42 AM
    Worst case it ends up with 2 different postmen who split that street? Wrong one takes it back and sticks it out for the other round the next day?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 33,462 Posts
    • 28,355 Thanks
    custardy
    Worst case it ends up with 2 different postmen who split that street? Wrong one takes it back and sticks it out for the other round the next day?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    items at DO level dont sort by postcode.so they would be sorting by the house no.
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 16th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    Sorry I should have added more. The buyer said that Royal Mail will NOT deliver but other delivery companies will.
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    Yes we do. I have delivered letters and parcels without postcode. As Custardy says it's all to do with knowing your rounds and customers.

• kangoora
    • By kangoora 18th Mar 18, 12:34 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    kangoora
    Every Xmas we get an almost completely wrongly addressed Xmas card from my DWs uncle via Royal Mail. And we do ask, every year, for them to update their address book...lol

Wrong last name (B substituted for D at start)
    Street address correct
    Incorrect post code, only first 3 correct - others just wrong

The irish postal service will take some beating in delivering mail though http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-43328227
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin