Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 13th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 116Thanks
    aliby21
    mixing different thickness tiles
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    mixing different thickness tiles 13th Mar 18 at 5:41 PM
    Can I use two type of tile with a different thickness on a wall? I have found a nice 'feature wall' tile that is 8mm thick, and a plain tile that is 6mm thick. I'd like to have the bottom part of the wall done with the 6mm thick tile, and the top with the thicker feature tile. Will this be ok? I am getting a tiler to do it, not DIY job (tiler on holiday this week, I am keen to get tiles there for when he gets back )
    TIA
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    z1a
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    As long as you're OK with the 2mm difference, I would imagine he'll do whatever you want.

Or, maybe he can get some 2mm hardboard to use as a base for the 6mm tiles.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 25,025 Posts
    • 68,506 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    As long as you're OK with the 2mm difference, I would imagine he'll do whatever you want.

Or, maybe he can get some 2mm hardboard to use as a base for the 6mm tiles.
    Originally posted by z1a
    You can't use hardboard as a base. No way.

I do use complimenting tiles in the same range where one tile is in relief but the base thickness is ultimately the same, as are the other dimensions. You could use a trim to separate the two but I'm not sure I'd try to make it work if the tiles were very different. What about matching the widths? Do they intersect at points or will they sit differently too? Possibly better off putting them on different walls?

Trim separating varying thickness but ultimately the same tile...https://imgur.com/a/oTS80
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-03-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 13th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    You can pack out a little if using rapid set adhesives , wouldn!!!8217;t want to do huge volumes

Wedi used to do a 4mm board that was ideal for mosaics against porcelain

I wouldn!!!8217;t use trim, your ending up with a step somewhere. Tiles should be flat, level and lip free between all surfaces
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 13th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    I think it sounds like it will look odd - like you ran out of tiles.
    It's also likely if in a wet area to form a water trap - ideally water should be able to run straight off (you don't mention what room)
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    I think it sounds like it will look odd - like you ran out of tiles.
    It's also likely if in a wet area to form a water trap - ideally water should be able to run straight off (you don't mention what room)
    Originally posted by Lizabeth21
    That's what I think too.
    Sounds like a bad idea to me.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 13th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    Thank you all. I think i had better talk to the tiler before I do anything rash! It looks as though it is not straightforward - not just a matter of a bit more adhesive under the thinner tiles . I do have a plan B with a tile that is the same thickness but not quite as nice. Thanks for that pic doozergirl, that has given me ideas for a plan C as well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin