PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a tenant get a valuation on a rented property?

Hoping someone can help :money:

Can someone who rents a property get a valuation on the property that they rent/live in? If so how would they go about it?

The property has never (in over 100 years been sold) so Zoopla etc is some help but not really what is needed.

Thanks in advance!! Appreciate any help

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Call a few local estate agents and ask them to come and value it? They wouldn't know you were the tenant unless you mentioned it.
    But why would you want to? Are you planning on buying it off the landlord?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Call a few local estate agents and ask them to come and value it? They wouldn't know you were the tenant unless you mentioned it.

I think it wouldn't be too difficult for an EA to guess.

Based on this....
    tashjovi wrote: »
    The property has never (in over 100 years been sold)...

Unless you prepare your story very carefully, I can imagine the conversation going something like this:
    EA: So you're the owner
    OP: Yes
    EA: There's no record of any sales on land registry - they started publishing them in 1995. So did you buy before 1995?
    OP: Yes
    EA: Well you look like you're about 30, so did you buy the property before you were 7?

Personally, I would be up-front with the EAs. Over the years, I've found quite a few EAs who are happy to share their opinions on property values etc, as goodwill gestures.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The alternative is to pay a surveyor for a formal written Valuation - jut like a mortgage lender does.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    Go on, tell us why!:)
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just say its your parents (or grandparents) property, they're now living elsewhere and you're about to move out, so they want to sell, and have asked you to make a start on the donkey work.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    tashjovi wrote: »
    Can someone who rents a property get a valuation on the property that they rent/live in?
    Stupid question - why?

It shouldn't be hard to get a wet-finger ballpark, if you're thinking of buying it from the landlord. Close enough so that you know if it's realistic to open discussions with the landlord. If the property hasn't changed hands in over 100 years (how do you even know this?), then the chances they'd sell it now are very low.

If you're just being nosy...
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    I have to say I’m not very impressed with the suggestions to lie to an EA to get a service from them. I know EA’s aren’t universally popular but it’s still a pretty crumby thing to do. I can’t see how it different to stealing from a moral standpoint.
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If it is because you are thinking of asking the owner if they would sell to you and you want to find out if you can afford it, then I would be honest and tell any estate agent just that. You could always offer them small payment as a thank you.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the property is similar to others nearby then just look at prices on Right Move or Zoopla to give you some idea of a ballpark figure.
  • Nobody cares if it annoys estates agents as they are grossly over compensated for what they ‘do’ in addition to only ever caring about lining their own pockets.

Personally, I’d do my own research or call an estate agent, describe it and ask for their view.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure