Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonesy1977
    • By Jonesy1977 13th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jonesy1977
    Vanguard plan Sensible?
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    Vanguard plan Sensible? 13th Mar 18 at 4:46 PM
    Hi All,

I have a specific goal in mind here... paying off my mortgage at 50

I would like to invest 50K and I was thinking I would put it into a couple of Index Linked Vanguard funds mainly due to the low fees and also because I have read so much that you cant beat the market so better to invest in it directly! I was thinking of investing a further 200 per month and by my calculation this would give me potential account in excess of 100K in 9 years (pay off the remaining mortgage)

Can anyone let me know if they think this is a good idea?
    Last edited by Jonesy1977; 14-03-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: too much background information in the preceding post
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 93,050 Posts
    • 60,443 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    I would like to invest a further 50K in cash and I was thinking that rather give this to Investec, I would put it into a couple of Index Linked Vanguard funds mainly due to the low fees and also because I have read so much that you cant beat the market so better to invest in it directly!
    Apart from all those that do beat the market (and plenty of posters here do as well as DFMs and adviser firms). Although not sure I would want your DFM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Jonesy1977
    • By Jonesy1977 13th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jonesy1977
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    Mainly with Investec because I know the Investment Director and trust him. Also not confident that I have the knowledge to pick better myself.......... thought the Vanguard funds look like a good index option with low costs after reading about it..
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 13th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    No one who knows what they are talking about will say you can't beat the market.

Of course it's possible to beat the market.

Truisms include...

The average investor will fail to beat the market, market-timing is only possible with hindsight, fund managers' performance can be expected to revert to the mean, owning all the market eliminates the risk of underperforming it, and so on.

Those might sound the same as "You can't beat the market", but they are not.

Edit. Don't take that as a suggestion that you should try to do so, however.
    Last edited by ChesterDog; 13-03-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin