Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RentalHelp
    • By RentalHelp 13th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RentalHelp
    Offers/bidding on a rental property
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Offers/bidding on a rental property 13th Mar 18 at 4:44 PM
    Hi everyone.

My fiance and I are trying to find a new home to rent in London and I wondered if I could seek your advice on what we're up against?

Having seen some awful, uninhabitable places, had one (full asking price) offer rejected (reason given was that we have a cat, although we were upfront about this from the start), we placed an offer (full asking price) on a property on Thursday.

We chased the agent on Friday who said they are yet to hear from the landlord - same happened on Saturday. We asked them to chase; again, nothing. After further chasing on Monday, the agent emailed us to let us know the landlord has been in touch and they have had another (full asking price) offer from another couple who also have a cat. The agent asked whether we would consider offering more. We asked whether they can tell us what the other offer is and have been told that even the agent themselves does not know this (as the other offer was taken by a colleague albeit in the same office!). We have responded with a (slightly) higher offer (the most we can afford) and are in limbo, waiting to hear back.

We have never experienced bidding for a rental property. In the meantime, the house is continuing to be advertised as available so presumably viewings (and perhaps other offers) continue. We are now starting to question the legality of this. It strikes us as unethical if not illegal.

Would appreciate any advice and/or experience anyone can offer.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    No, it's perfectly ethical and legal.

You aren't entitled to rent the property and if the LL wants to wait for a better offer, that's up to him/her.
    • luckypotato
    • By luckypotato 13th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    luckypotato
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    Doubt whether it's illegal. However, I'd be inclined to move on... but then again I can't be bothered with the hassle of any sort of bidding war. Unless it's your dream pad, I'd keep looking.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 13th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    Never heard of this before and would not recommend getting into a bidding war for a rental as its not normal practice.. Though nothing illegal about it.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 6,231 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    It doesn't work on first offers or even highest offers. The landlord chooses who they think suits them best as tenants. Nothing illegal about it. If you are not happy withdraw your offer and look for a different rental.
    • Abby_W
    • By Abby_W 14th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Abby_W
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    It seems like the landlord first want to receive many offers, so that he can pick the best one. Possibly does the landlord not only consider the rental price, but also if the renters are friendly, reliable and easy-going.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin