Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 13th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3,493Posts
    • 19,044Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Valiant Boiler problem
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    Valiant Boiler problem 13th Mar 18 at 4:03 PM
    Hi my mother in laws boiler has stopped working.

My husband has taken a look at it and said it is leaking inside because the pipe that takes the condensation outside has rotted away!

He managed to get a new part sent out but in order to fit it, the entire boiler and casing needs taking apart which obviously he is not qualified to do.

He rang Valiant and after taking the serial number they said it was a known problem for that boiler and as he had the part to get a plumber to fit it!

He argued if it was a fault known to them then they should resolve it.

They've now agreed to "service" the boiler and at the same time replace the faulty part for 79.

His worry is that the leak has now caused the inside of the boiler to become rusty and they may condemn it when they come to service it.

I feel that as Valiant KNEW this particular boiler had a faulty part then surely they should have contacted the boiler owners in order to rectify it.
    Had this been done then the boiler would now not be rusty as a result.
    They would know the address of where the boiler was fitted when it was registered so why did they not contact my mother in law?

To be honest, I don't feel she should even be paying the 79 service charge because it was a known fault.

Any ideas where she stands please? Surely Valiant should have a duty of care if they were aware of this fault?

Thanks for reading.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    Not Valliants problem, if you want to evoke your consumer rights you need to speak to the person/company that supplied and fitted the boiler (good luck with that).

Take the deal it's a dam good one.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 13th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    Is it a Ecotec around 5 years old. Very common, see lots. When was it last serviced, its very easily picked up on a service. When there not picked up they can rot through the bottom case in extreme cases.

If it is the boiler above and the corrugated plastic pipe you should stop using it immediately. Its leaking before the boiler trap and will be leaking products of combustion into the boiler.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 13th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 19,044 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    Not Valliants problem, if you want to evoke your consumer rights you need to speak to the person/company that supplied and fitted the boiler (good luck with that).

Take the deal it's a dam good one.
    Originally posted by bris
    She has, they are coming on Friday.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 13th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 19,044 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    Is it a Ecotec around 5 years old. Very common, see lots. When was it last serviced, its very easily picked up on a service. When there not picked up they can rot through the bottom case in extreme cases.

If it is the boiler above and the corrugated plastic pipe you should stop using it immediately. Its leaking before the boiler trap and will be leaking products of combustion into the boiler.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    I've no idea which model sorry.

I doubt she's had it serviced annually due to cost.

It is switched off because she has no water and heating at present.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 13th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    Pedant Alert: It's VAILLANT - so many people get it wrong, I'm surprised the manufacturers didn't change the name to VALLIANT!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin