Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 574Posts
    • 547Thanks
    Firetastic
    Failing graphics card?
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    Failing graphics card? 13th Mar 18 at 3:58 PM
    I have a Dell All In One computer. It has started displaying things in red for example I right click on the menu and when I scroll down some of its blue and some of its red. When I was watching Youtube videos it was a bit red in some parts. I was dusting behind the compter today so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or it is a failing graphics card. If so where would I take it for repair? It doesn't look simple to dismantle unlike a case.

Thank you very much for your help.
Page 1
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    It could be the display or the graphics card, although it probably doesn't have a separate card.

How old is it? Post the model number.

Very hard to diagnose an ALL-IN-ONE unit as there probably isn't any way to plug in a separate display.

Often they are uneconomical to repair if you have to buy a replacement part from the OEM.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    Well I was watching a video there and the lines are wavy. I got it in 2014 and I will go and check the Model Number. Oh the lines have just disappered Went into the start screen and came back and the lines are gone. Really Really strange. The scroll bar at the side was red. Just looked at System information and the System Model is Inspiron 23 5348
    Last edited by Firetastic; 13-03-2018 at 4:17 PM.
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    You could always try uninstalling the video drivers, then reinstalling them.

This model doesn't have a removable video card, so you would have to replace the whole system motherboard if that is the fault.

It looks like your model does have HDMI connections, so you could try connecting a separate HDMI monitor and seeing if it's any better. You could even try connecting the HDMI out into the HDMI in, to see if the second HDMI output is any better than the internal one
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    It's back to normal now no redness or anything. I went into the Start screen and came back to this website and it was gone. I'll update if it returns again. On another note is it recommended to try and dismantle it myself or do I have to send it to a shop or repair centre?
    Last edited by Firetastic; 13-03-2018 at 5:13 PM.
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    If you can find the spare parts you could try repairing it yourself but it's MAINS voltage, so only if you think you can do it safely. Obviously it has to be disconnected fully from the mains, and leave it for at least 30 minutes for any energy to fully leave the system.
    If you damage any of the power circuits inside then you would want to throw it away incase it becomes a fire risk.

Dell have service manuals on their website, so you can read them and see which screws to remove in order to get at certain pieces. But if it's a video card fault there is nothing you can do except replace the mainboard. Quite a big job.

If you replace it then you can always strip it down and sell the spare parts. Hard drive (wipe it), CPU, RAM are all easily saleable.. Other spare parts might sell, if someone else is trying to repair a similar model.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    I don't think I'll bother if anything goes wrong trying to fix it myself. I'll think I'll leave it to a professional. It's just I have heard that LCD televisions can be dangerous to try and fix if you do not know what you are doing.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    It could be heat related due to dust build-up, all-in-ones are similar to laptops in that there's not a lot of room in there and any build up of dust can have a disproportionate effect. You need to remove the back and use compressed air to blow everything out.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    Yes dust is a killer isn't it? It's not like a case where you slide the side panel off and then you just blow it out.
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Mar 18, 12:37 AM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    stator
    I prefer a carefully handled vacuum cleaner than an air duster.
    Once friend a PSU using an air duster. If you hold it wrong liquid comes out
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I prefer a carefully handled vacuum cleaner than an air duster.
    Once friend a PSU using an air duster. If you hold it wrong liquid comes out
    Originally posted by stator
    A vacuum cleaner probably wouldn't do what's needed, although you're right about the compressed air cans. If the OP has one or has access an actual air compressor would be ideal.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 14th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    One of my old computers years ago kept shutting down one morning. Got someone out who hoovered it out and it was fine for four years untill I got rid of it.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 15th Mar 18, 6:50 AM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Using a vacuum cleaner can be dangerous in a computer, it causes static and it can seriously damage components.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Using a vacuum cleaner can be dangerous in a computer, it causes static and it can seriously damage components.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Leave the mains lead of the computer plugged in to ground it, use a brush to agitate the dust and just have the vacuum cleaner in close proximity to suck up the loosened dust.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 15th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Firetastic
    Am I right in saying you have to ground yourself by touching something metal to reduce the static? Might be wrong.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Am I right in saying you have to ground yourself by touching something metal to reduce the static? Might be wrong.
    Originally posted by Firetastic
    As long as you're not touching the electronics yourself then no, you'll be fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter