Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 13th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fleur52
    ASDA charged my card twice and very poor service
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    ASDA charged my card twice and very poor service 13th Mar 18 at 2:41 PM
    Hi there
    I ordered some grovery items via online shopping at ASDA website and it was for the very first time I have used ASDA.
    My order was supposed to have delivered between 8.30-9.30pm and around 10.15 I called them to find out what happened to the order, and was told they need to cancel it because the van broke down. Having waited for two hours no one informed of this until I called and I was not happy.
    I asked them to cancel the order and refund me the money.
    Then 10 minutes later the order arrived, and I told the two peopled who delivered the goods to let the customer services know that they delivered because I asked them to cancel the order so they may have cancelled it.
    This morning I checked the card statement online, and saw that ASDA had debited my account on 12th in the morning for the order placed on Friday, and at 10.48pm another debit shows. I think either there is a fault at the system whereby an order is cancelled it goes into a new order hence another debit or the person put through refund did not do it properly.
    I could not get any help through Customer Services as the woman had no clue whatsoever about the debits and credits and refunds. Kept telling me the order was cancelled and I have book another date.
    I was looking into some complaints and found out there are hundreds of people complaining.

Does anyone think that they do this deliberately so they keep taking money twice?
    Just because card data is saved on their systems does not give them right to use the money as they did not call me or get my authorisation.

Please let me know if any one has had this experience with ASDA or any other retailer.

Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,812 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM

Does anyone think that they do this deliberately so they keep taking money twice?
    Originally posted by Fleur52
    No. I'd be astonished if anyone thinks that.
    • WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 13th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    You're very unlucky to have this happen on your first ever delivery from them. I've been using Asda as well as a few other grocery delivery services every week for probably 12 years now, and have never had a single problem.
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 13th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    ASDA charging twice
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    I have no experience of shopping at ASDA and it was the very first time, and I must say it was a really bad experience.
    I have used TESCO and Sainsbury's and had no problems.
    Just that customer services not able to help was disappointing as I was expecting a better standard of service from them.
    I sent an email with a complaint and see if they really help customers. I have seen lots of reviews on their customer website where people have left messages complaining about the poor service they received.
    Surely a big company such as ASDA need to make sure when refunding customer they need to take care.
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 13th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    ASDA charging twice
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    Yes I know you may have been lucky.

I have used Tesco and Sainsburys and had no problems.

When processing refunds they need to take care as part of their job. Unless there is a fault in their computer systems where credits appear as debits.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 18,567 Posts
    • 12,723 Thanks
    molerat
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    Are both amounts the same ? Asda used to put a hold on the order amount and then take the actual delivery amount, the earlier amount dropping off after a few days. Have the amounts cleared yet or are they still pending ?
    Last edited by molerat; 13-03-2018 at 3:26 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    Are both amounts the same ? Asda used to put a hold on the order amount and then take the actual delivery amount, the earlier amount dropping off after a few days. Have the amounts have cleared yet or are they still pending ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    ^^ This.

If this only happened yesterday, the hold will still be showing.

Tesco and Sainsbury's do the same thing.
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 13th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    Have the amounts have cleared yet or are they still pending ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    There is possibility a refund might be pending as well (which will not show as pending).

Possible scenario: your card got charged in the morning, then you phone up, cancel and your card gets refunded. Later they realise the goods have been delivered and charge your card again.

Presuming that happened yesterday or today, it is too early to know what got actually charged.
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 13th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    Hi everyone

Thank you all for your comments.

I sent an email copied to CEO and Customer Service complaints department this morning, and I think some one has acted quickly and deleted both charges which are the same amounts. They also charged 1p on the same day I placed the order, which I think is used to see if the card is active - perhaps I do not the reason behind this but they have taken 1p.

So I think my email making the complaint may have worked. I also called the credit card company and explained that they have charged me twice, one of which I have not authorised. Anyway, I will check the card details again tomorrow.

the 1p showing as Pending. Will let you know tomorrow if the debit has returned.
    I ordered the goods on the 9th March, so the first debit was ok along with 1p debit (pending).

I was asking them about the second debit taken out last night after 10.30pm. Hopefully all will be sorted in the end.
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Hi everyone

Thank you all for your comments.

I sent an email copied to CEO and Customer Service complaints department this morning, and I think some one has acted quickly and deleted both charges which are the same amounts. They also charged 1p on the same day I placed the order, which I think is used to see if the card is active - perhaps I do not the reason behind this but they have taken 1p.

So I think my email making the complaint may have worked. I also called the credit card company and explained that they have charged me twice, one of which I have not authorised. Anyway, I will check the card details again tomorrow.

the 1p showing as Pending. Will let you know tomorrow if the debit has returned.
    I ordered the goods on the 9th March, so the first debit was ok along with 1p debit (pending).

I was asking them about the second debit taken out last night after 10.30pm. Hopefully all will be sorted in the end.
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    A little patience would have had the same outcome.
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    Sorry Borris
    When I see someone has taken money out without authorisation I needed to act quickly.

I don't let anyone take my hard earned money.
    • 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 13th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    My order was supposed to have delivered between 8.30-9.30pm and around 10.15 I called them to find out what happened to the order, and was told they need to cancel it because the van broke down. Having waited for two hours no one informed of this until I called and I was not happy.
    First of all...Is it or is it not a 2hr timeslot? I presume you have then been sent a msg with a 1hr window?
    Between 8:30 and 10.15 is not 2 hrs either...so nobody waited for two hours to be informed of a breakdown did they?...then to make matters a little less believable the van appears 10 mins after call to customer services?

I apologise if I seem a little harsh but can you see why I have doubts over the authenticity of the event?

Now, if all appears above board then surely the situation with the bank charge is straightforward? As we all know if the original purchase was "cancelled" by customer services a refund will not be instant and the original charge still pending because the delivery would not have been complete?

Secondly, a request was made to the delivery drivers to inform customer services that the order was delivered. Which would trigger another charge I would presume after the delivery driver contacted his HQ? Hence "ASDA have took my money twice"

Now OP please, for your own sake never visit a self serve Petrol pump and pay with your card because it will only cause you a lot of pain and heartache...
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 14th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    ASDA charging twice
    I don't think you understand the issues thatI was trying to make.

Having waited till 10.15pm I called ASDA. When I placed the order I put all my contact numbers, so in the event of delays they should have informed me that the van had broken down or there was a delay. No one contacted me. Also why should I wait any longer than necessary when I placed the order and expected a good service? This shows cheaper does not mean a good service. So my point was until I contacted ASDA no one contacted me and that in my opinion was not good enough.

Also it seems a lack of communication between delivery and the customer services department. When it finally arrived I told them that I had just spoken to CSD and they were in the process of cancelling the order so can they inform CSD that the order was delivered. Again my point was poor service. The next morning I had an email to say that the order was cancelled and asked me to re schedule for another date. That proved there was no communication taken place and necessary steps taken by the CSD.

The order was placed on the 9th March with delivery scheduled for 12th March.

With regards to payments taken out from my account which was the important point that I was relaying - the first payment on the 9th March taken out for 1p as a verification process. Then on the 12th the correct amount was taken out for the goods. So that is all ok.

However, the second debit taken on 12th March was taken out without my authorisation. That was my point here. I did not place another order. Just because the card details were saved does not mean to say that they can debt my card without my permission. If you saw a debit on your account to which you had not given permission would you be just happy and let them take the money without making any complaints? No I donít think so.

Please read the title and the points raised here before you making a judgement. Thank you.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 14th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    The debit would correct itself naturally in a few days - it's not uncommon. It would be pending rather than debited.
    I have had several debits pending for the original order amount, then the amended order amount (if items are out of stock etc) plus the penny pending too.

I would probably not have said anything and waited. Whenever my delivery has been cancelled, which is rarely, I have received a voucher.

OP I think you were slightly premature to ring adding to the confusion of how things would have naturally played out. If this is the first time you've used them then the way the transactions are processed is something you weren't to be aware of. Hopefully if you use them again in the future you will see how pending transactions alter/debit which will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not alone and there's no need to panic.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 14th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,524 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Sounds like two authorisations or a single authorisation / single debit.

This comes up all the time with grocery deliveries - using a credit card or doing the shopping yourself are the best answers. Debit card payments are always exposed to these issues as they 'earmark' actual funds.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 14th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    MataNui
    Gave up on deliveries a long time ago. Tried Asda and Tesco. Both as bad as each other. Just too many issues with every single delivery. List includes:
    Rotten veg being delivered.
    Late deliveries
    Cancelled deliveries that we didnt get notified of.
    Endless billing mistakes.
    Missing items (some we were still charged for).
    Out of date or on its use-by date food (far too much to be a coincidence).
    Some of the most bizarre substitutions.
    Unreasonably long waits for refunds.
    Saw the Asda one drop a load of unwrapped bakery products on the floor outside then not say anything. We certainly said something to him.

It just got too much of a pain having to go through everything while the guy waited then be sending stuff (on occasions most of the order) back then waiting 10 days for a refund and having to go to town to buy the missing stuff anyway. The throwing food all over the road then sneakily trying to palm it off on us was the last straw.

Remember a watchdog type program last year i think about the disgusting condition of the vans and baskets. Clearly not much has changed for the better since we tried it. Wouldnt use it again.
    • Fleur52
    • By Fleur52 14th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleur52
    ASDA charging twice
    This would be the last time I shop at ASDA or order anything online.

I would rather pay a bit more and go to a decent shop such as Marks and Spencer or Waitrose.
    I have had lots of deliveries from Marks and Spencer and they are excellent from ordering to taking payments so it shows not all Supermarkets debit twice or cancel orders at last short notice.

No more ASDA.
    Thanks everyone and I will end this thread now. I have made my points so no point of dwelling on it any more.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 19,290 Thanks
    Merlin139

I would rather pay a bit more and go to a decent shop such as Marks and Spencer or Waitrose.
    I have had lots of deliveries from Marks and Spencer and they are excellent from ordering to taking payments so it shows not all Supermarkets debit twice or cancel orders at last short notice.

No more ASDA.
    Thanks everyone and I will end this thread now. I have made my points so no point of dwelling on it any more.
    When did M&S start doing food deliveries?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson

No more ASDA.
    Waitrose also put a hold on the amount beforehand. It's common practice.

There's no reason to stop shopping online. You had a misunderstanding and now that is resolved. No harm done, and you'll understand for next time.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    When did M&S start doing food deliveries?
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    Like so many threads on here you really should pull too hard at it...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin