Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • NiceguyEddie
    • By NiceguyEddie 13th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Can I sue training provider?
    • #1
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    Can I sue training provider? 13th Mar 18 at 2:41 PM
    My issue is with a training provider of Forest Schools. I am an teaching assistant and completed a level 3 course last September.(I have emails confirming this) I paid for the course myself and as it was a residential paid for a week accommodation in a hotel. I should have received my certificate within 3 months of completion, I have now been waiting 7 months for it. I have emailed the traing providers several times requesting it, even informing them that is is costing me financially as I cannot apply for new (and better paid) jobs without the certificate. I am considering legal action to claim the course costs back (over 700) but can I claim for additional costs like my travel or the hotel or the hours I spent completing the work for a certificate I've never received?

Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    More of a consumer rights issue than an employment one. Maybe PM a board guide and ask them to move the thread to the consumer rights board.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,727 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    As you attended the course, I doubt you would succeed in reclaiming the course costs, let alone any additional costs.

    I see you have e-mailed them. Have you written (hardcopy) or telephoned them?
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    Have you had any response to the Emails you sent? Is the training provider still in business?

    If so, send a letter before action and a copy to Forest Schools head office. Give them 2 weeks to issue the certificate or tell them you will file a claim with the small claims court. Chances are an official letter to the head office will get something done.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    What qualification provider did they use for the level 3 course? You could potentially contact them directly.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    • #6
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • #6
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    Emails often get you nowhere. There's a much simpler step before considering court action and that's to send an old fashioned complaint letter. I would ring up and ask who you should send your complaint letter to. In the letter ask them to confirm they've received it. In the letter basically just say what you've said to us but be clear that you want your certificate within seven days, be clear that you are making a complaint, and say that given the very poor service you've received you expect they'll want to consider a goodwill gesture of some sort.

    If I can't sort a problem out with a single email or phone call I often write a letter. It usually takes less time to write, print and post it than I would spend on a single call centre call.
    • pop_gun
    • By pop_gun 22nd Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    • #7
    • 22nd Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • #7
    • 22nd Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    Lets say you take them to court and win, how will you recover the money owed?

    I paid 425 for a course for which the company never conducted. The accrediting body and the institute which oversees the training, told me, it was nothing to do with them.

    I'm sorry to say this but you've lost your money. You could take them to court for the certificate, but that's all you can hope for. Trust me I've lost thousands of pounds to training providers. I've never seen a penny back, even when I went to court and won.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,144Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

  • We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should?

  • RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

  • Follow Martin