Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Keen_Investor
    • By Keen_Investor 13th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Keen_Investor
    Can I rent a house to a friend on benefits?
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    Can I rent a house to a friend on benefits? 13th Mar 18 at 2:26 PM
    As the title says. I have a friend on Benefits, his housing benefit is paid for.. he's on Personal Independence Payment, I won't go into the details why that's his business.

He's in no way related to me. I'm considering buying a flat in cash and renting it to him for the going rate. It appeals to me as I've known him for 20 years and trust him. Albeit I would still keep it completely legal with tenancy agreement etc.

Just wondered if there were any laws/rules preventing this.
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You probably can rent it to him, but it's a bad idea to rent to a friend.
    Originally posted by bobbymotors

Especially one with benefits.....
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 17th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Looking at your other posts you lost your job just over a month ago....so does it really seem a great idea to tie up your capital (or some of it) buying a place to rent to someone on benefits, given the wayward and arbitrary way the UK benefit system wobbles around?
    • Peterjones2018
    • By Peterjones2018 17th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Peterjones2018
    Very good points about not mixing friendship with money matters.

However, just to offer the other side: at least you would know who you're dealing with and hopefully the chances of your property being turned into a cannabis farm are reduced.

I've seen it work both ways with friendship and business.
    There is no right answer.

Well, apart from the fact that you'd be LETTING the property to your friend. He would be RENTING it from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin