Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NickH85
    • By NickH85 13th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    NickH85
    0 WOW
    Trade in broken washing machine?
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Trade in broken washing machine? 13th Mar 18 at 2:26 PM
    Hi MSE forum.

I need to buy a new washing machine, as the bearings have gone and, for my old particular model, it's apparently not possible/extremely difficult to repair.

I was hoping to find a company who might accept a trade-in to get some money off, but not sure how likely that is. There must be an assortment of spares someone could salvage from it, and then there's the scrap metal, but perhaps I'm overestimating what someone might be willing to pay, particularly as most places will add a charge to take an old machine away!

I'm looking at AO.com who charge 10, and I'm very tempted to just go ahead with it, as I don't have access to a van and disposing/transporting it myself would be practically impossible, but I wanted to see if there was any opportunity to save a few bob before going ahead.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 13th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 13,083 Posts
    • 41,323 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    Hi MSE forum.

I need to buy a new washing machine, as the bearings have gone and, for my old particular model, it's apparently not possible/extremely difficult to repair.

I was hoping to find a company who might accept a trade-in to get some money off, but not sure how likely that is. There must be an assortment of spares someone could salvage from it, and then there's the scrap metal, but perhaps I'm overestimating what someone might be willing to pay, particularly as most places will add a charge to take an old machine away!

I'm looking at AO.com who charge 10, and I'm very tempted to just go ahead with it, as I don't have access to a van and disposing/transporting it myself would be practically impossible, but I wanted to see if there was any opportunity to save a few bob before going ahead.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick
    Originally posted by NickH85
    AO.com every time for me ! Prices are reasonable and the delivery guys are usually very helpful.

As it could cost you or anyone else to dump it, 10 is a bargain. My local council charge 43.
    Last edited by sarah1972; 13-03-2018 at 2:37 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 13th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    Lots of adverts on gumtree for free waste metal collection
    https://www.gumtree.com/removal-services/uk/free+scrap+metal+collection

Maybe try one of these if any local ?
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    fred246
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    You can sell broken machines on eBay. The man who bought ours said he was hoping to repair it and sell it on. If that wasn't possible he would dismantle it and sell the parts. They pick them up from your house.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 26,954 Posts
    • 10,852 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    99% of the weight is concrete and motor, very little metal by weight.

Bearings gone, motor maybe well worn also, so its pretty worthless. Advertise locally where someone may come and offer you pennies. Or just not turn up and your stuck with it.

Had no issues with AO, drivers very good. Having work done in the kitchen when they arrived so said drop the oven in the front garden, they asked several times if i was sure and they said no trouble bringing it in.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 17th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 17th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    Just get the thing carted off - at 10 to do so it's a bargain.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 17th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 17th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    Loads of free collection services on my local Facebook pages. Can't see it being worth much tbh

I actually left mine on the drive - it was gone within a few days. They dismantled it before chucking it on their van - I guess the drum is worth more (stainless?) than the steel side panels and plastic bits
    • agatham
    • By agatham 22nd Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    agatham
    • 22nd Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 22nd Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    AO seems to be a good one to exchange faulty items. How about Hotpoint? Did you try that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

411Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin