Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ra2258
    • By ra2258 13th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ra2258
    Moto Chievley / CP Plus / Hire Car
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    Moto Chievley / CP Plus / Hire Car 13th Mar 18 at 1:58 PM
    Hi folks,

In early February, a family member / friend pulled into the Moto Chievley as they were unwell. They went in, had a coffee and did some work. The left a bit under four hours later...

It was in a hire car as their normal car was in the shop.

They received a PCN yesterday. CP Plus apparently contacted the hire agency who passed on my contact details which is how they found me (as the car was hired under my name) so thus they got my address. This does not mean I was the driver.

From reading the Newbie thread - I think this is a good thing that the hire car sent this on to me (as the car was under my name but others can drive it)?

I planned on writing Moto Chievely (parkingqueries@moto-way.com) to explain the situation.

I also planned on sending the "Edna Basher" template but cannot find the actual template (it is mentioned a lot in the forum).
    1. Can someone point me to to the actual "Edna Basher" Template / Link?
    2. Or should I use the "generic" letter as it was a hire car and the hire agency sent them to me?
    3. Should I do anything else?

Again - not saying this was me but the car was under my name...

Many thanks for any help and advice....All the best!
    Last edited by ra2258; 14-03-2018 at 7:30 AM.
Page 1
    • Castle
    • By Castle 13th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Castle
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    Edit your post as it identifies the driver!!
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 13th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5,455 Posts
    • 5,573 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    Did CP Plus include a copy of the hire agreement when they wrote to you by any chance....?

Failure to comply with POFA 2012 para 14 (2) a is a good defence point to start with That means they can't hold you liable as hirer.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 13th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 9,229 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors..

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • ra2258
    • By ra2258 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ra2258
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    @StaffsSW: Did CP Plus include a copy of the hire agreement when they wrote to you by any chance....?

No - they just sent the request for money. :-)

So I can use the above?

Do I contact Moto and explain that the person was ill and was using the parking lot as designed?

And where can I find the "Edna Basher" template please?

Thanks!!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 7,660 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    And where can I find the "Edna Basher" template please?
    Originally posted by ra2258
    There is a link to it towards the bottom of post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Read this section of post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread:
    COMPANY, LEASE OR HIRE CARS ANYWHERE IN THE UK
    Last edited by KeithP; 13-03-2018 at 9:04 PM.
    • ossie
    • By ossie 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    ossie
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    Should have gone in to Moto at time and explained as they can cancel parking if taken ill or car broken down.
    • ra2258
    • By ra2258 13th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ra2258
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    @KeithP - Many thanks - sorry I missed it.

Here is the if others stumble on this thread.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69859059#post69859059

@Ossie - there was no notice on the car and I do not think the person had thought they had done anything wrong so they were unaware they had to "check in" as they were ill.

All - how long do you advise I wait to send the "Edna" letter to CPPlus? The alleged incident took place in early February. And do I also contact Moto?

Thanks!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 58,374 Posts
    • 71,895 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    You appeal straight away (as hirer, not saying who the driver was) when you have a postal PCN.

Yes you should also complain to MOTO.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 14th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 5,455 Posts
    • 5,573 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    @StaffsSW: Did CP Plus include a copy of the hire agreement when they wrote to you by any chance....?

No - they just sent the request for money. :-)

So I can use the above?

Thanks!!
    Yep, exactly that. It's a simple point that is nearly always overlooked in this situation, but no different to failing to comply with the conditions to hold a keeper liable.

As they have now contacted you, the lease company has discharged their liability, so CP Plus cant (or at least shouldn't) try to go back to them.

In other words, they had their chance and blew it.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • ra2258
    • By ra2258 28th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ra2258
    I got a second notice from CP Plus today. No other paperwork included. Is there a second template to use for this? Or just send the first "Agnes" template again?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Mar 18, 1:31 AM
    • 58,374 Posts
    • 71,895 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Isn't it merely a 'reminder'?

Not a brand now parking event?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• ra2258
    • By ra2258 29th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ra2258
    Yes - it is a "reminder". Sorry to be not clear...

Should I respond again? There were no other documents in the "reminder"....Thx!!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 17,982 Posts
    • 28,463 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have you sent the 'Edna Basher' appeal to CP Plus? If so when, and have you had a response to it?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 31st Mar 18, 12:45 AM
    • 58,374 Posts
    • 71,895 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    If you have appealed, who cares about the standard computerised reminder?

• ra2258
    • By ra2258 3rd Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ra2258
    Thanks! I just wanted to check if I needed to do anything (again). I guessed it was an auto-generated reminder.

What should I expect or do? Just wait? How will I know if my appeal is granted and this has been resolved. Should I expect formal confirmation at some point?

Thanks!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 3rd Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,407 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Wait
    Email at a guess.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 3rd Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 17,982 Posts
    • 28,463 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thanks! I just wanted to check if I needed to do anything (again). I guessed it was an auto-generated reminder.

What should I expect or do? Just wait? How will I know if my appeal is granted and this has been resolved. Should I expect formal confirmation at some point?

Thanks!
    Any chance of a response to post #14 above?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 3rd Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 9,229 Thanks
    The Deep
    Only in Rip Off Britain would they charge for using a MSA for longer than 2 hours. Why on earth should someone taking say a three hour nap, be expected to pay £10 - £12 for it. IIRC, MSAs in France are free, and the food is better.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 58,374 Posts
    • 71,895 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It.is.a.computerised.reminder.

Why do you even care about it? Why are we talking about a useless reminder?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter