Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 5,353Posts
    • 7,401Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Being own solicitor
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    Being own solicitor 13th Mar 18 at 1:54 PM
    Selling house, no mortgage, got time on my hands (but no legal training). Not buying new house.

I gather from Google that it's legally possible to do the solicitor work myself but is it wise? MSE or a road of pain? Anyone else done it?
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 3,784 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    The problem with some of the more extreme examples of moneysaving is that you can become someone who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I think this is an example of that.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    I know some of the regulars will shout at me, but if you are selling, have time, and have some wits about you, use an online solicitor.... I never would for buying, but for selling, it's fine. It will give considerable financial security to your transaction, and you'll have the time to cross-check and harry as required.

You should be able to get a fixed-price sale (no fee no sale as well) for well under 500, 350 if you press them.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 13th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    Yes technically it is possible. I did my own on three occasions, including buying and selling a leasehold flat, in the 80s/early 90s. (I'm not a legal eagle, I'm a fashion designer!)
    However, times have changed, there was no internet, or at least it wasnt widely used, there was less opportunity for fraud, money laundering, etc etc.
    The process is much more security-conscious now, with all manner of Data Protection issues too that didn't exist back then, so imo, it simply isnt worth the hassle you are going to get. And trust me, you will.
    Whilst there is nothing to prevent you doing your own conveyancing in theory as far as the law is concerned, you are going to come up against a myriad of obstructions, not least from your future buyer's solicitor who will likely refuse to work with you, plus your buyer's lender, etc etc. The list of people ready to make your life very hard indeed if you dont 'tow the line' and get a solicitor is going to be endless.
    Even without the obstacles as above, your buyer and their solicitor will be suspicious of a DIYer and you've got to be a person who enjoys fine detail and form filling (which luckily I do!)

As for saving money, I'm afraid it's not as great as it might seem - maybe a few hundred pounds.
    And most importantly, you have to be a thousand per cent sure youve got absolutely everything right and have checked, checked and rechecked as theres just too much to risk if it goes pear shaped.

I think anyone of reasonable intelligence and literacy (plus of course an interest in the subject) should be just as capable - if not more than, an online conveyancer of doing this.
    But try telling that to those you will be dealing with.
    Would I do it today?
    Not on your Nellie.
    Last edited by victoriavictorious; 13-03-2018 at 2:43 PM.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    I have bought and sold before, years ago, but I would 100% agree with the above comment that these days it is not worth the hassle
    • hjghg5
    • By hjghg5 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    hjghg5
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    I*am* a solicitor (different area of law) and am currently selling a mortgage free property (inherited, not moving house or anything like that), and wouldn't dream of trying to do it myself!
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    I think there is too much scope for running into problems.

The buyer's solicitor may refuse to send money to you.

You won't be in a position to give a proper response to any issues identified by the searches or enquiries.

Given the value of a house, I don't think it is worth the risk of messing up the sale and losing your buyer for the sake of saving a few hundred quid.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 14th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    Thanks all for your views.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 3,784 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    You could always give DIY dentistry a try if you're looking for something to do....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin