Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pirateboy
    • By Pirateboy 13th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Pirateboy
    Wedding suit problems 6 days before wedding.
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    Wedding suit problems 6 days before wedding. 13th Mar 18 at 1:37 PM
    Hi.
    I’m getting married on Monday 19th.
    I was measured up & paid for a suit on 23rd October from A Suit That Fits, the Birmingham branch. I paid on visa debit, £900. I had the first fitting November 16th. The trousers didn’t fit well at all. I was told to rearrange at the end of January in case of any weight being gained over the Christmas period. I didn’t gain or lose any weight. I called back but the lady who had measured me had left the company. They couldn’t fit me in until the 15th of February because another member of staff had left, they were now operating once a week in Birmingham instead of 5 days a week. Another lady measured me up again & said the trousers would have to be remade because they were too far out. Assured me they would be done as a priority & guaranteed one or two more fittings before the wedding. After many phone calls, on Friday afternoon they called & asked me to come to London on Monday morning, which was out of the question because of work. They said they were 95% sure they would fit & posted them out. I received them today & they are worse than the original ones, ill fitting, baggy & short. I’ve sent photos via email & I’m waiting for a manager to ring me. The wedding is in 6 days so there is nothing they can do anyway. Am I in my rights to ask for a full refund since the suit was specifically for this event & they had 5 months to have it fitted properly?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 15,782 Posts
    • 21,678 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    They are clearly not fit for purpose and they have had more than enough time to make th adjustments which they failed to do.

I would write to them IMMEDIATELY stating that the suit is not fit for purpose, they have failed to fit the trousers properly despite many requests (write down the dates of what happened) and tell them that you are returning it for a FULL refund.

Send back fully tracked with proof of delivery.

I would be speaking to your debit card company for a chargeback if the company are not forthcoming with a refund.

Good luck suit hunting.

Ps - £900 on a suit??? Go spend £200 on an M&S one then spend the £700 having a blast with your new wife!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 10,037 Posts
    • 11,302 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    TSend back fully tracked with proof of delivery
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Making sure of course that you choose a service that will provide compensation for the full £900 should the suit get lost or damaged.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    Selfridges in Birmingham offer a personal shopping service, or as above M&S or John Lewis will have plenty of options for you. I think JL offer an adjustments service too.
    • Pirateboy
    • By Pirateboy 13th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pirateboy
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    They are clearly not fit for purpose and they have had more than enough time to make th adjustments which they failed to do.

I would write to them IMMEDIATELY stating that the suit is not fit for purpose, they have failed to fit the trousers properly despite many requests (write down the dates of what happened) and tell them that you are returning it for a FULL refund.

Send back fully tracked with proof of delivery.

I would be speaking to your debit card company for a chargeback if the company are not forthcoming with a refund.

Good luck suit hunting.

Ps - £900 on a suit??? Go spend £200 on an M&S one then spend the £700 having a blast with your new wife!
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Thank you for your advice.
    £900 is a bloody fortune to spend on a suit, especially for a welder! Nothing off the peg fits. I originally went to Slaters, they tried to fit one 3 times, then said I needed a made to measure one.
    Ex rugby player, 6’2”, 48” chest, 19” neck, 33” waist, 26” thighs. Regular fit allows a 6” difference between your chest & waist, mine is 15”!
    When I go into a shop all I see is ‘slim fit, skinny fit, super skinny fit’
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    High and Mighty might help . They used to be on smallbrook queensway in Birmingham, no idea if still there. Google tall men's clothing as well for others.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    0121 643 1940 still on smallbrook queensway. High and Mighty.
    • Pirateboy
    • By Pirateboy 13th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pirateboy
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    Thank you. I won!!!8217;t be able to get to high & mighty until Thursday & the jacket would definitely need taking in, there!!!8217;s no time left. We!!!8217;re setting off to the venue in the lakes Sunday morning. I decided to get it sorted last October to give them plenty of time to get me in for fittings. Since January there!!!8217;s been nothing but delays, I!!!8217;ve been promised a call back 3 times from a manager today & still nothing. I!!!8217;ve contacted my bank & they!!!8217;ve given me a number to ring if they don!!!8217;t resolve a refund today. I!!!8217;ve got a suit that doesn!!!8217;t fit very well which it looks like I!!!8217;ll end up wearing.
    • Pirateboy
    • By Pirateboy 13th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pirateboy
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    I don!!!8217;t know what all those numbers & exclamation marks are about but I didn!!!8217;t type them!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 4,387 Posts
    • 4,414 Thanks
    DoaM
    If you wear it you may compromise any refund rights.

PS - turn off Smart Punctuation on your iThing.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 8,575 Posts
    • 28,530 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Thank you. I won!!!8217;t be able to get to high & mighty until Thursday & the jacket would definitely need taking in, there!!!8217;s no time left. We!!!8217;re setting off to the venue in the lakes Sunday morning.
    Originally posted by Pirateboy
    You've got time. Buy the best fitting suit you can, find a local seamstress to do the alterations over the weekend. Honestly a bit of taking in won't take a huge amount of time and you've got two days before you need to leave.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Loanranger
    You can buy online from high and Mighty, trousers and jackets are available separately.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Which town do you live in? Or city?
    • Pirateboy
    • By Pirateboy 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pirateboy
    A courier is picking the trousers up tomorrow morning & they'll be back with me on Friday. The shirt, waistcoat & jacket for like a glove so I'm going to have to give them the chance at this late stage.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 13th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Another option for the future, OP, is Skopes - I don't know if there's one near you but they do more tailor made suits and accessories, but they can be up to 6 weeks to deliver.

They were recommended to me and, if I hadn't needed a new suit quite quickly, I'd have got one from there as they seem to be reasonably priced (I went to Slaters Birmingham in the end as they were able to adjust my suit in a week, and I've got previous experience buying suits and jackets from them).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Another option for the future, OP, is Skopes - I don't know if there's one near you but they do more tailor made suits and accessories, but they can be up to 6 weeks to deliver.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Not that useful when the OP is getting married in 6 days...
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4,387 Posts
    • 4,414 Thanks
    DoaM
    Not that useful when the OP is getting married in 6 days...
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Pointless response given MBW clearly says ...

Another option for the future, OP,
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    That doesn't mean "When you next get married" ... it means "When you next need a suit" <rolleyes>
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    Les79

That doesn't mean "When you next get married" ... it means "When you next need a suit" <rolleyes>
    Originally posted by DoaM
    "When you next a £900 suit" more like it...

I wonder if OP buys a £900 suit for any event other than a wedding? Maybe, maybe not.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Mar 18, 8:15 AM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thank you for your advice.
    £900 is a bloody fortune to spend on a suit, especially for a welder! Nothing off the peg fits. I originally went to Slaters, they tried to fit one 3 times, then said I needed a made to measure one.
    Ex rugby player, 6’2”, 48” chest, 19” neck, 33” waist, 26” thighs. Regular fit allows a 6” difference between your chest & waist, mine is 15”!
    When I go into a shop all I see is ‘slim fit, skinny fit, super skinny fit’
    Originally posted by Pirateboy
    WOW!

If your bride-to-be doesn't like the look of your suit, I'll marry you instead.

Hope this company manage to sort your trousers out for the big day.
    Best wishes.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,078 Thanks
    agrinnall

Originally posted by DoaM
    You're right that I missed the 'for the future' bit, but as the OP isn't asking about anything beyond the next few days I maintain my position that MW's post was not helpful in the context of the thread. If it had been a newbie posting it I'd have hit the spam button (obviously not the case with MW though).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter