Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahFermi
    • By SarahFermi 13th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SarahFermi
    Removing pre-payment meter
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    Removing pre-payment meter 13th Mar 18 at 1:20 PM
    I'm in the process of moving into a new house and it has a pre-payment meter installed.
    I contacted my current supplier from my old address to ask them to remove the meter and they have said that they won't do it unless I keep the meter in credit and don't use the emergency credit button for six months! This seems ridiculous since I have been a customer for over two years, paying by direct debit.

Can anyone recommend a company that will remove the meter immediately? Would much prefer an eco-friendly / ethical supplier if possible.
Page 1
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 3,404 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    Ask if they'll swap it out for a "smart meter" instead
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 13th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    You need to contact the supplier at the new address first, make sure you take a meter reading when you move in, ask them if they will change meter or what they need to remove it. If they swap it for a Smart Meter it may make the switch to a billed meter faster as they tend to look at 3 months use and can change its mode at their end without any appointments etc.
    • SarahFermi
    • By SarahFermi 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SarahFermi
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    Yes I gave them the meter reading and got a new top-up token to use but wasn't intending on sticking with them as my supplier so didn't ask about them changing it. I suppose it may be easiest to deal with them as the current supplier though.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    We found it was easiest to get the existing supplier to change the pre-pay meter to a credit one and then we swapped suppliers.

It might have helped that the supplier I moved to was the same as the one I'd left.

I also wanted to swap from E7 to a single rate, which had to be done after the meter was swapped. They insisted in swapping like for like (ie E7 to E7) they then sent another bloke out a few days later to convert it to a single rate.

I then swapped suppliers.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    EDF have a reputation for being plain stupid and switching prepays to credits without checking if an occupier is a half decent risk or just out to rob the suppliers, as many are..So EDF is your choice if you re finding it difficult.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin