Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    Unfair parking charge. Didn't even do it. :(
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    Unfair parking charge. Didn't even do it. :( 13th Mar 18 at 1:08 PM
    The keeper received one of these parking charges through the post for apparently overstaying in their local tesco car park for over 4 hours. Thing is, the driver never did. The driver must have been there around 2.30pm and returned at 7pm. So they've clearly missed the drivers car exiting and returning in between. The keeper can't get through to the !!!!! over the phone. The keeper has been down and spoken to the manager of the car park and he says he can't do anything. So the keeper will probably have to go through the appeal process. The keeper knows the advice used to be ignore these notices but belives things have changed recently? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Gazbaz77; 13-03-2018 at 3:05 PM.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 36,636 Posts
    • 82,987 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    The advice to ignore has not been given here since the law changed in 2012.

Never, never, never, ever 'phone a parking scammer.

Pease also edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people.

Once you have done that, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the template appeal you will find there.

Please also tell us the name of the PPC.

Please also complain to your MP.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 13-03-2018 at 1:30 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 13th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    Well, if youd read a little bit before posting, you would have found the NEWBIES thread.

Read it. POst 1. then edit your post to avoid the identity of the driver beign blatantly obvious.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 57,498 Posts
    • 71,087 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Received one of these parking charges through the post for apparently overstaying in my local tesco car park for over 4 hours. Thing is, I never did. I must have been there around 2.30pm and returned at 7pm. So they've clearly missed my car exiting and returning in between. Can't get through to the !!!!! over the phone. I've been down and spoken to the manager of the car park and he says he can't do anything. So will probably have to go through the appeal process. I know the advice used to be ignore these notices but belive things have changed recently? Anyone know?
    Originally posted by Gazbaz77
    Have you missed the NEWBIES thread, if so, go and read it and use the template. PLEASE DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' AND ASK FOR A LINK...

PLEASE if this is Highview, just search the forum for 'Highview' and read all the very very easily won appeals done recently.

No questions about which box to tick on the Highview appeals page - never again do we want to have to answer that! Obviously NOT the driver one.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    I've edited it and will look a the newbie thread. On phone so can't really see the forum page as good as I will be able to on my laptop when home. Will reply to anything then. Thanks.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    was this car park a tesco car park, or one attached to a retail park?
    what parking company is it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 6,736 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    I've edited it...
    The whole point of editing your post was to ensure that the driver was not identified.

You have failed to do that.

It was the driver that parked the car, but it was the keeper that received the PCN through the post.

It is the keeper that is about to appeal.
    When the keeper appeals he will take great care to avoid giving clues to the driver's identity.

As Fruitcake said:
    Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Last edited by KeithP; 13-03-2018 at 3:12 PM.
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    Right I have edited my post again and hopefully got it right this time.

The car park is a retail car park not a Tesco one.

and the PPC is Premier Park.

Now at home on my laptop, so off to read the newbies thread and follow the advice on there.

Thanks all.
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    Ok I know what needs to be done now. Just a quick question regarding this section..

'You can (carefully!) add a little to the template above, 'in order to resolve the dispute I attach copies of...':'

Should I add a bit explaining that the driver didn't even overstay and they might want to check their cctv. I could also attach a screen shot of the drivers tesco clubcard statement showing. two separate transactions on that day, obviously nothing with the drivers name on. or should i just send the template alone?
    Last edited by Gazbaz77; 13-03-2018 at 3:27 PM.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 13th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    They dont have CCTV. Just ANPR. Only records numberplates.

Send proof of two visits, and state that the vehicle went to the site twice that day.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    Half_way
    next question, do you have a smartphone?
    Do you know who owns the retail park?

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    next question, do you have a smartphone?
    Do you know who owns the retail park?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    Yes and yes.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 36,636 Posts
    • 82,987 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Yes and yes.
    Does the smartphone (or the car) have GPS tracking that can show the car left the site and returned, or was elsewhere for even part of the time?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 13th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    Does the smartphone (or the car) have GPS tracking that can show the car left the site and returned, or was elsewhere for even part of the time?
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    I'm not sure. I've just upgraded my phone not sure if it was just before the date in question or just after. I'll look into it.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    Half_way
    The car park owner will be jointly and severely liable for the actions of his/her/its agents, the parking company, have you made contact with the landowner yet? or was it just the tesco drone?

as for maps, if you have google maps, and/or an android phone try here https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb you will need to log into your google account, next select the day in question, you will get a blue line trace.
    next in the bottom right theres a gear icon, click on it and select show raw data, you will find loads of red spots in your blue location line, click on a red spot and it should be time stamped, ie you were at locaiton X 9 or thereabouts ) at such and such a time

Before you contact the landowner, post on here what you are thinking of sending

• Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 13th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 3,271 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    Oh ..... and just in case I have missed it ..

its called 'double dipping'

do a forum search and you will see thousands of case .....

please note ... I have been known to exaggerate slightly

Ralph
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    DoaM
    @post #14 ... so the driver has updated their phone and is not sure whether the event was before or after the update?

If the before and after phones are both Android they'll be linked to a Google account ... check the Google location history.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    The car park owner will be jointly and severely liable for the actions of his/her/its agents, the parking company, have you made contact with the landowner yet? or was it just the tesco drone?

as for maps, if you have google maps, and/or an android phone try here https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb you will need to log into your google account, next select the day in question, you will get a blue line trace.
    next in the bottom right theres a gear icon, click on it and select show raw data, you will find loads of red spots in your blue location line, click on a red spot and it should be time stamped, ie you were at locaiton X 9 or thereabouts ) at such and such a time

Before you contact the landowner, post on here what you are thinking of sending
    Originally posted by Half_way
    I've spoken to the car park manager over the phone. He said he cant do anything and I need to appeal. as he can't appeal for me..

Tried going through that link, and it's trying to send something to my phone to verify me or something. But nothing came through. Probably sent it to my old phone..
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 14th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    @post #14 ... so the driver has updated their phone and is not sure whether the event was before or after the update?

If the before and after phones are both Android they'll be linked to a Google account ... check the Google location history.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Went from Iphone to android. With a different sim. Tried checking but its tryiong to verify me through my device. Not received anythinng so probably going to old sim..
    • Gazbaz77
    • By Gazbaz77 14th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gazbaz77
    But I have google maps on my new phone and im logged in. just need to figure out how to see where I've been. ahh but it's not turned on.... oh well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin