Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 13th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,060Posts
    • 1,865Thanks
    downshifter
    Just wondering...what paid work do you do?
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    Just wondering...what paid work do you do? 13th Mar 18 at 12:14 PM
    Dear all, after I downshifted from the lifetime career over 10 years ago now, I took on a range of part time jobs, one of which lasted 9 years, often several at a time. At one point I had 5 part time jobs, none of which added up to full time equivalent but I loved the variety and how my brain was kept in top gear!

Now I'm 67 and have 3 jobs (2 parish clerks and one working for a small charity) I also do quite a bit of voluntary work. However my brain definitely isn't in top gear any more and neither is my bank balance so I could do with a bit more work.

I just wondered what paid work other people of my age do? My friends work in shops (one downshifted from a high responsibility job in Civil Service), a pet rescue, website work etc. So I thought I'd ask what work others have found? I'm happy to be creative in my job-seeking, for example I once applied for a job as a volunteer and they decided to take me on as an employee and paid well for my professional skills and experience.

I really do have plenty of time and waste it all faffing around really. So what work do you do?

DS
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 24,048 Posts
    • 62,667 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    I did supply for a year after I retired from teaching, but do nothing now.

U3A keeps me busy, as well as keeping the brain active. Not so much of a swot as I used to be, though. I!!!8217;m frequently doing my writing group homework last minute.

As for paid work, I always fancied working in Boots!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    DH has signed up for invigilating at the local Uni: the local secondary schools also need this.

He's also signed up to be a life model.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Mar 18, 5:07 AM
    • 30,707 Posts
    • 58,169 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:07 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:07 AM
    We do house/petsitting. We work through an agency.

We don't actually do that much now, (one or two regular clients) but could do a lot more.

If you're anywhere near the Midlands or Welsh Borders, here's details of our agency, but there are others all around the country.

https://www.while-your-away.co.uk/our-sitters
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 14-03-2018 at 5:12 AM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,912 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    Have you thought about becoming self employed or going freelance. Maybe setting up a little sideline business. Do you have a hobby you can turn into a little money maker.

I was offered the chance to go back to work as a new build sales negotiator but decided against it, even though I love the work and had had a very successful career.

Firstly because it can be very cold in winter.......site offices can be a tad chilly. Secondly I fancied a change. As a widow I decided it was time to build a new and different kind of life for myself.

I have decided to go back to college to retrain and upgrade my original beauty therapy qualifications. I start next Wednesday. The course is part time so not too onerous. When I have completed my studies I shall be able to practise as a complementary therapist. I will be self employed and can therefore be flexible, choosing my own hours and working as much or as little as I please.

A new chapter begins.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 14th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    I am 65 and work three evenings a week in a well known chain restaurant, a job I have been doing for 32 years, firstly when my children were very small, then on top of a full time professional post. I have always enjoyed it as I enjoy meeting people, walk five miles a night, and it certainly keeps your brain working! I have never been bored, as every day is different, but at the end of the night, whether it has been stressful or not, that is it until the next shift. However, the main advantage is that I can take as much unpaid leave as I want as long as I give plenty of notice. I wouldn’t still be working if I was restricted to certain holiday periods as my OH and I are doing lots of travelling before we get much older.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 16,532 Posts
    • 41,747 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    Parent ran childcare courses for a local charity and did NVQ verifying, both on a self-employed consultancy basis. She finally retired at age 77 when funding started to dry up.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    DH has signed up for invigilating at the local Uni: the local secondary schools also need this.

He's also signed up to be a life model.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Should have said, he's also developing a sideline in offering advice on GDPR to small local charities. If you have a niche in that kind of area, there's a fair bit of panic / dumb ignorance around it.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 15th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,146 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    I have no need to earn money now, I have enough with my pension. But I do like to keep busy. I deliver parish newsletters three times a year in a smallish village and get a few quid for doing it. The bonus is the walking, it's good training for longer walks, and I meet people.

I also dog walk but don't take money for it. I love dogs and walking so that's a bonus. I am 68 and don't want a regular or part time job, don't want commitment. Free to do what I like.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 20,335 Posts
    • 16,088 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If you can wait until 2021 then working during the next census might be an option - one of my friends did it in 2011 when she was taking a career break and enjoyed it.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 24th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    crv1963
    I'm not retired yet but a few colleagues who have retired do a variety of things- Citizens Advice- lots of roles and training, one helps the Mentally Ill with benefit forms, another volunteers as a Listener at our local Cathedral, a couple in charity shops and another took up long distance walking, walks a distance, stays in a B and B then walks some more after a week or so gets the train home! I'm told that retirement is as easy or as hard as you make it, have an open mind and follow your ideas is what I've been advised!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 24th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    downshifter
    Goodness, thank you so much for all these replies, I had no idea they were here (aren't you supposed to get notifications or something?) Lots of ideas, thank you.

Interesting re GDPR, I logged in here immediately after writing a long screed about it this morning, however it was about how collaboration and reciprocal working will cover the regulations rather than paying for it. Our local Council is offering to do the work but for a small fortune and it's so straightforward for small organisations. I've obviously talked myself out of paid work here!!!

I live out in the sticks so am a bit restricted and don't want to pay for petrol any more than I have to but will look into some of these ideas, thank you so much everyone.

Have a lovely weekend all.

DS
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 25th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Goodness, thank you so much for all these replies, I had no idea they were here (aren't you supposed to get notifications or something?)
    Originally posted by downshifter
    It's an option!

If you go to UserCP (which is likely to be near the lh side of a row of options above the thread), and click on 'Edit Options' in the Settings and Options block, you can choose to have an email sent whenever there's a reply to a thread.

Or you can do it on a thread by thread basis, using the 'Thread tools' option at the top of each thread you're looking at.

Hope that makes sense ...
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin