Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si78
    • By Si78 13th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Si78
    Big purchase advice
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    Big purchase advice 13th Mar 18 at 11:59 AM
    Iíve booked a flight to the USA in the summer and intend to stay 3 weeks. Travelling about and doing trips.
    I want to book the trips before I arrive, car hire, hotels and a return flight.
    Iím budgetingto spend around £5k. Iíll be able to pay it off in full when I get back.
    I donít have a credit card at the moment. Is it better to get a credit card that gives 0%on purchases; a cash back card or a loan? I know that booking flights and things on a credit card gives more protections should things go wrong. Is there a suitable card for this? TIA
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 16,814 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    Ideally you would get a card with no foreign exchange fees for use out there, and a cashback or 0% card for the bookings beforehand if in sterling. But if you have a limited credit history, your options may not stretch to that.

I would start with a quick eligibility checker - no point in chasing after something good if you're stuck at the sub prime end of the market.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    If any of the bookings are being made on US websites then the no exchange fees card would probably be your best option for those too.
    • stuwho
    • By stuwho 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stuwho
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    TBH, if you're paying it off when you return, they'll be plenty short term 0% interest cards available to you. Maybe better going for one that'll give you something back, ie, cashback, rewards etc. Unless you're planning to use it again for anything.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    If you intend to use the card mainly abroad a combined travel card and 0% purchases card, for example the Virgin Money travel credit card. may be a good idea.
    You mention using the card to book flights for the S75 protection but as you have already booked your outward flight it's a bit late for that.
    You mention that you want to use this card to book your return flight. Suggest very strongly that you book your return flight before you go otherwise you risk being denied boarding on your outward flight and will almost certainly be refused entry to the US if you arrive with a one-way ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin