Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ftb_deena
    • By ftb_deena 13th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 7Thanks
    ftb_deena
    Can I leave my tenancy before end of contract?
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    Can I leave my tenancy before end of contract? 13th Mar 18 at 11:57 AM
    Hello I am a FTB currently renting. I recently signed a 3-month contract that ends on 19th May. I'm pretty sure I will be exchanging/completing on a house sale soon, so I'm wondering if I can end my tenancy early if I need to?

I'm hoping to have a move-in date by March 19th, which my solicitor said is doable. (not move in by this date, but have a date to work towards by then)

Does this sort of thing depend on different landlords? He's a cool guy, but he has been chasing me for a date, and fairly so!
    Last edited by ftb_deena; 13-03-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I'm confusing people!!
Page 2
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    This hopefully won't be something you'll ever need to know again now you're buying a place, OP, but you've misunderstood how tenancy contracts work. When it comes to an end, you do not have to leave. If you don't sign a new contract, your tenancy does NOT end - you begin a periodic tenancy. If the landlord was unhappy about you refusing to sign, they would have had to start eviction proceedings against you, which would have taken a MINIMUM of two and a half months, and probably a lot longer!
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    True, but not everyone is that kind of tenant though it is easy to forget that on this board. Not everyone wants the hassle. Some prefer to abide by the rules and not go out of their way to cause themselves or their LLs a load of legal hassle, to say nothing of expense. Some tenants behave with decency. Let us hope the OP's LL does so too.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    True, but not everyone is that kind of tenant though it is easy to forget that on this board. Not everyone wants the hassle. Some prefer to abide by the rules and not go out of their way to cause themselves or their LLs a load of legal hassle, to say nothing of expense. Some tenants behave with decency. Let us hope the OP's LL does so too.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Which 'rules'?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Which 'rules'?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Those of decency. Google it if you don't know what it means.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Those of decency. Google it if you don't know what it means.
    I know the meaning, I just don't understand the relevance. I don't concern myself with mr Sainsbury's, I see no reason to do so here.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    What has a supermarket to say to anything regarding renting? Oh, don't bother.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    What has a supermarket to say to anything regarding renting? Oh, don't bother.
    I simply meant these are commercial relationships, and should be treated as such.

I wouldn't waive my rights for consumer goods, so why would I as a tenant?
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 13th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Smodlet, either we have quite different views of decency, or you're extrapolating to the general case when I was being very specific to the OP.

The OP and their landlord had been mutually agreeing 3-month extensions. However, the OP was now buying a property and wanted their tenancy to run up to completion on their property instead of staying for 3 months. I don't think it would be in any way "indecent" of a tenant in this situation to say "no, sorry, I don't want to sign another fixed term contract as I intend to leave within the next 3 months". If the landlord chose to respond to this by serving a section 21, I think that's a pretty significant breach of the "rules of decency" on THEIR part, and I wouldn't see any issue with the tenant staying until their completion date as long as that was before a court granted possession to the landlord.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you, Pants; that makes sense.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin