Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • basherbaz
    • By basherbaz 13th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    basherbaz
    council tax re claim ?
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    council tax re claim ? 13th Mar 18 at 11:28 AM
    Looking for help re council tax claim - Bought property in Jan 87 for either 90,000 or 91441 including all charges and fees. Which figure should I use on the nationwide calculator to get an april 91 figure ? If is use the lower purchase price this comes out at a value of 159,256 which is just below the G valuation band rating of 160K to 320K. So presume it may be worth challenging the band rating ? the higher figure takes it over the 160K but still may be worth challenging ? Also if I challenge the rating can my band be raised (as I have added several extensions to the property since) ?. Thanks for any help first post.
Page 1
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 13th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    Warm welcome, and first question is what band are you currently, I assume G, or is it H???
    Looking for help re council tax claim ... Also if I challenge the rating can my band be raised (as I have added several extensions to the property since) ?. Thanks for any help first post.
    Originally posted by basherbaz
    The MSE page on this is great, I just went though it last night for my Dad, key points:
    You can't ask for your band to be lowered, only for a 'reassessment', which means your band could be moved up as well as down.
    It's even possible that your neighbours' band could be increased, although this is rare.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change
    Last edited by telemarks; 13-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 10,659 Posts
    • 8,897 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    If you've added extensions prior to April 1993, the these can be taken into account. House price indices are inaccurate and at best can only give a general guide price.

You should look for properties of a similar age, type and size in a lower band in the area. But be aware these bands may be too low and could be increased as previous poster has said
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin