Theft of blue badges - the answer...

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    How?

Once the vehicle is parked and unattended there!!!8217;s no one to compare the photo to.
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Exactly - the only "constant" is the vehicle itself !

Will it make take some monitoring, and is not ideal but it would be a start. There was a TV programme a while back where a London Borough Council officer would phone up the badge holder to see it the badge was being used legitimately or not.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well what do you suggest to combat theft of cards ?

I don't think there is an easy way to prevent them from being stolen but more enforcement and far harsher penalties for those caught with stolen badges or abusing the system might prevent a lot of the problems.
    The law allows for fines of up to £1000 for fraudulently using a blue badge but in reality I wouldn't be surprised to find that the average fine is far lower than this.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had an argument with a 4x4 woman who had parked in the last disabled space at Morrisons a few years ago - she couldn't see the error other ways and ignored me - I complained to Morrison's but they told me that they couldn't do anything...
    I stopped shopping at Morrison's
    She was not disabled by the way
  • Inner_Zone
    The real issue is not the theft but the abuse, crack down on the abuse and in turn the theft may decrease if the deterrent is big enough and seen to be being enforced.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Will it make take some monitoring, and is not ideal but it would be a start. There was a TV programme a while back where a London Borough Council officer would phone up the badge holder to see it the badge was being used legitimately or not.
    At what cost ?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had an argument with a 4x4 woman who had parked in the last disabled space at Morrisons a few years ago - she couldn't see the error other ways and ignored me - I complained to Morrison's but they told me that they couldn't do anything...

What did you expect them to do?

There’s no legal reason she couldn’t use it.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Inner_Zone wrote: »

Yes, but was that because the cameras were there?
  • Inner_Zone

Well there will always be idiots:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16078544.Parent_refuses_to_move_parked_car_blocking_fire_station/

Did Morrison's own the car park?
  • Inner_Zone
    At what cost ?

Well if it generates enough fines it may well be self financing.
  • Inner_Zone
    Yes, but was that because the cameras were there?

I've no idea, you would need to ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure