Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 8,291Posts
    • 1,964Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Theft of blue badges - the answer...
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    Theft of blue badges - the answer... 13th Mar 18 at 11:26 AM
    Why don't they fit blue badges with ID chips - that could be read through the windscreen - by parking wardens ?
Page 3
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Robisere
    Once again there are people taking out their opinions about who should be registered disabled, based on appearances. No one posting here has X-Ray vision and no one here is so experienced in medicine that they can tell who is, or is not, disabled. There are many forms of disability and many reasons for disability. I do not believe that elderly people are seen "running from their cars", for instance. What a lurid turn of phrase. I have one very visible disability and 2 more that are not visible. Any of the latter 2 would qualify me for a BB.

As for those who regularly park in Blue Badge spaces, I had acure for one of those. A blonde fiftyish woman drove across me to park in the last BB space, in a huge Porsche Cayenne 4X4. I drove across the front of her car, parked, got out, fetched my crutch and locked the car. "Where are you going?" she asked "I won't get out!" "I know," I answered " I am going to the Town Hall to report someone parked illegally in a BB space."

I was answered with a torrent of abusive language, including the information that, if I could move my ******* car, she would move her ******* car, and further, I was several kinds of (Anglo-Saxon expletive)

I informed her that she could really do with improvements to her attitude and limited vocabulary, and moved my car. She left.

50Twuncle, if you really do have walking difficulties, take it up with your GP, who could help you to qualify for a Blue Badge. That would be a better plan than posting here with your anger at people who do not deserve it.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    50Twuncle, if you really do have walking difficulties, take it up with your GP, who could help you to qualify for a Blue Badge. That would be a better plan than posting here with your anger at people who do not deserve it.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Did you read the thread? or just sim it?

I use a blue badge - so am I being selfish to myself ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 8,291 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Once again there are people taking out their opinions about who should be registered disabled, based on appearances. No one posting here has X-Ray vision and no one here is so experienced in medicine that they can tell who is, or is not, disabled. There are many forms of disability and many reasons for disability. I do not believe that elderly people are seen "running from their cars", for instance. What a lurid turn of phrase. I have one very visible disability and 2 more that are not visible. Any of the latter 2 would qualify me for a BB.

As for those who regularly park in Blue Badge spaces, I had acure for one of those. A blonde fiftyish woman drove across me to park in the last BB space, in a huge Porsche Cayenne 4X4. I drove across the front of her car, parked, got out, fetched my crutch and locked the car. "Where are you going?" she asked "I won't get out!" "I know," I answered " I am going to the Town Hall to report someone parked illegally in a BB space."

I was answered with a torrent of abusive language, including the information that, if I could move my ******* car, she would move her ******* car, and further, I was several kinds of (Anglo-Saxon expletive)

I informed her that she could really do with improvements to her attitude and limited vocabulary, and moved my car. She left.

Originally posted by Robisere
    I have a blue badge already which I find extremely useful - thank you.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Exactly - the only "constant" is the vehicle itself !
    But it's not constant at all. The only constant is the disabled driver/passenger.

A clamp down on badges being used without the owner being in the vehicle would solve it. Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).

Ramping up the penalties for letting someone else use the badge (if not reported stolen) would crack down on it as well. Ideally confiscation of the badge if theft proceedings aren't filed against the abuser.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Car 54
    As a deterrent because thieves know that there is no way that they can be caught at the moment

The ID could be tied in to the number plate
    There are approx 2.5 Million blue badges currently issued in UK - With around 3000 being stolen every year (numbers increasing due to "value" - a mobile phone could be converted to read chips - so a cheap solution is readily available
    So for every 1,000 badges, one is stolen. That hardly even qualifies as a problem, let alone one worth spending money on.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    But it's not constant at all. The only constant is the disabled driver/passenger.

A clamp down on badges being used without the owner being in the vehicle would solve it. Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).

Ramping up the penalties for letting someone else use the badge (if not reported stolen) would crack down on it as well. Ideally confiscation of the badge if theft proceedings aren't filed against the abuser.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car. My wife has a blue card and it always grates when you see cars parked up without one. Mums with kids seem to believe they can use them with impunity as well which winds me up.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,738 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Johno100
    Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car. My wife has a blue card and it always grates when you see cars parked up without one. Mums with kids seem to believe they can use them with impunity as well which winds me up.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    What, the space or the badge?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    So for every 1,000 badges, one is stolen. That hardly even qualifies as a problem, let alone one worth spending money on.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Country wide probably not but 3000 thefts in one area would suggest a problem.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    What, the space or the badge?
    Originally posted by Johno100
    The space. (obviously?)
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    It's certainly an uphill issue, but you can certainly get evidence of people not getting in or out, via some targeted effort.

i.e. hire some council wardens to spend a few days observing bays and spot checking people that aren't obviously the person on the badge.

Currently there's almost no risk to getting caught, but a few days of targetted effort in a few car parks would put a lot of badge abusers off, whilst costing relatively little.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 14th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 8,291 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Originally posted by Car 54
    A similar ratio to the numbers of cars stolen annually in the UK - and people would complain if the police took that attitude...
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Herzlos
    A stolen car costs a lot more money and hassle.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 14th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 29,255 Posts
    • 74,720 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).
    There would have to be a check on people leaving the car and returning to it.

Sometimes I dropped my Mum off for an appointment, went off and did some jobs and then came back, parked in a disabled space and went in to collect her.

Just watching me getting out of the car could have lead people to think I was misusing the BB.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Car 54
    A similar ratio to the numbers of cars stolen annually in the UK - and people would complain if the police took that attitude...
    And they'd be right to complain, as a stolen car will cost £000s to replace.

But a new BB costs £10.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I bet there are more cars stolen than blue badges. People regularly complain about the polices attitude to vehicle offences, itís more a case of the policies stink rather than the attitude.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Car 54
    I bet there are more cars stolen than blue badges. People regularly complain about the polices attitude to vehicle offences, itís more a case of the policies stink rather than the attitude.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    You're right. 86,000 cars stolen in 2016 - Almost 3 per 1,000. Or 3 times more common than BB theft.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 14th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    John-K
    Cars cost hundreds or thousands of pounds, blue badges do not.

On your point above, complaining about people whoís disabilities are not obvious to you, have you realised why that is wrong yet?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Herzlos
    There would have to be a check on people leaving the car and returning to it.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Absolutely; that's why I'm talking about a focused campaign. Also I assume most abuses are non badge holders parking to pop into a shop for a couple of mins
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 15th Mar 18, 3:46 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    seashore22
    My mum has a blue badge. Not only does she not own a car, she couldn't drive one if she had it. She's been blind for 70 years.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 15th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 8,291 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Absolutely; that's why I'm talking about a focused campaign. Also I assume most abuses are non badge holders parking to pop into a shop for a couple of mins
    Not only "shop poppers" but also long term abusers - I see the same cars (without badges) parked in the same disabled spaces for hours at a time on regular ocassions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin