Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 8,283Posts
    • 1,961Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Theft of blue badges - the answer...
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    Theft of blue badges - the answer... 13th Mar 18 at 11:26 AM
    Why don't they fit blue badges with ID chips - that could be read through the windscreen - by parking wardens ?
Page 2
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And I am also fed up with non-blue card holders lparking their 4x4's in the spaces reserved for disabled...
    What can be done about them ?
    And whilst I am on my bandwagon - how many people genuinely have mobility problems and how many are just lazy ?
    I struggle to walk and see many elderly people virtually running away from their blue badge parked cars ..
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Sometimes enforcement sometimes nothing.

If youíre talking your local Asda youíve no more right to the space than anyone else.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    How?

Once the vehicle is parked and unattended there!!!8217;s no one to compare the photo to.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Exactly - the only "constant" is the vehicle itself !
    Will it make take some monitoring, and is not ideal but it would be a start. There was a TV programme a while back where a London Borough Council officer would phone up the badge holder to see it the badge was being used legitimately or not.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 13th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    George Michael
    Well what do you suggest to combat theft of cards ?
    I don't think there is an easy way to prevent them from being stolen but more enforcement and far harsher penalties for those caught with stolen badges or abusing the system might prevent a lot of the problems.
    The law allows for fines of up to £1000 for fraudulently using a blue badge but in reality I wouldn't be surprised to find that the average fine is far lower than this.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I had an argument with a 4x4 woman who had parked in the last disabled space at Morrisons a few years ago - she couldn't see the error other ways and ignored me - I complained to Morrison's but they told me that they couldn't do anything...
    I stopped shopping at Morrison's
    She was not disabled by the way
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The real issue is not the theft but the abuse, crack down on the abuse and in turn the theft may decrease if the deterrent is big enough and seen to be being enforced.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Will it make take some monitoring, and is not ideal but it would be a start. There was a TV programme a while back where a London Borough Council officer would phone up the badge holder to see it the badge was being used legitimately or not.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    At what cost ?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I had an argument with a 4x4 woman who had parked in the last disabled space at Morrisons a few years ago - she couldn't see the error other ways and ignored me - I complained to Morrison's but they told me that they couldn't do anything...
    What did you expect them to do?

Thereís no legal reason she couldnít use it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yes, but was that because the cameras were there?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Well there will always be idiots:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16078544.Parent_refuses_to_move_parked_car_blockin g_fire_station/

Did Morrison's own the car park?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    At what cost ?
    Well if it generates enough fines it may well be self financing.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Yes, but was that because the cameras were there?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I've no idea, you would need to ask them.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    As a deterrent because thieves know that there is no way that they can be caught at the moment

The ID could be tied in to the number plate
    There are approx 2.5 Million blue badges currently issued in UK - With around 3000 being stolen every year (numbers increasing due to "value" - a mobile phone could be converted to read chips - so a cheap solution is readily available
    You haven't really thought this out, have you. A blue badge isn't tied to any one specific vehicle, the owner can use it in any vehicle they're travelling in.

And given that local authorities issue badges who do you think would pay for such a thing.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 13-03-2018 at 1:50 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Just wish they would put the photo in the top side, that way it would be a lot easier to see potential abuse.
    Would only work if an enforcement agent was around when the BB holder (or not) was getting in or out of the car.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    And whilst I am on my bandwagon - how many people genuinely have mobility problems and how many are just lazy ?
    I struggle to walk and see many elderly people virtually running away from their blue badge parked cars ..
    For someone who's supposedly has mobility issues you're coming across as very small minded and ignorant in your attitude to disability. Just because you can't obviously spot a disability doesn't mean there isn't one that requires the help a BB can give.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Would only work if an enforcement agent was around when the BB holder (or not) was getting in or out of the car.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I realise there are pitfalls, but currently you can't see the photo so even more open to abuse.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I realise there are pitfalls, but currently you can't see the photo so even more open to abuse.
    It's very simple for a parking attendant to ask to see the badge should they so wish so I'm not sure it would make any difference, especially bearing in mind the BB owner isn't necessarily the one driving the car.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 13th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Geodark
    Maybe they should be?
    Defeats the whole point if they are tied to a car and not a person. My mum has one and most of the time its my sister who drives her about, but there are times if I am down seeing her that I use it when I am taking her shopping etc.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3,511 Posts
    • 11,089 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    For someone who's supposedly has mobility issues you're coming across as very small minded and ignorant in your attitude to disability. Just because you can't obviously spot a disability doesn't mean there isn't one that requires the help a BB can give.
    Neilmcl is correct. I know someone who has epilepsy so has a blue badge. Heart and breathing conditions can entitle a person to getting a blue badge. All things that aren't necessarily immediately obvious like my needing a wheelchair or at least crutches. Doesn't mean the others aren't disabled.
    29 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 3,729 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    Johno100
    Well what do you suggest to combat theft of cards ?
    Perhaps educating Blue Badge holders not to leave the badge on display or even in the vehicle when it is not being used would be a start.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    It's very simple for a parking attendant to ask to see the badge should they so wish so I'm not sure it would make any difference, especially bearing in mind the BB owner isn't necessarily the one driving the car.
    If only. I see someone who I think regularly abuses a badge. I have informed the local council but they won't do anything unless I supply evidence, talk about passing the buck. There are the same local council regular traffic wardens patrols supposedly enforcing residents parking restrictions who could collect the evidence they require. But they seem to ignore all blue badges irrespective of potential misuse or appalling parking. I am sure this badge is being used for visitors and customers (home based car mechanic) despite the fact he has off road parking and a garage available and the local council does also offer visitor parking permits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin