Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kiely27
    • By kiely27 13th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 66Posts
    • 35Thanks
    kiely27
    Any guidance before I make an offer?
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    Any guidance before I make an offer? 13th Mar 18 at 10:38 AM
    I posted this in diy but there doesn't seem to be any traffic there, plus I certainly will not be diy-ing it!

Morning All,

I'm after a bit of advice. We are about to offer on an Edwardian semi that needs some work doing. Unfortunately for us, we are complete newbies to period refurbishment so have no idea on what to budget for most things. I will list what needs doing, then if anyone could advise (with approx cost to have a professional do) I would be really grateful! I realise without knowing the spec it will be a ballpark figure but it would be good to have some idea!X

Edwardian semi, 4 double bedrooms, 3 reception rooms 2 bathrooms.

Job 1
    Refurbish sash windows, to include draft proofing. 14 Windows (approx 2mx3m) and one 3 part bay

Job 2
    2 bathroom refurbishment- tiles, new bath x1, showers x2 including enclosures, sinks x2, toilet x2.!

Job 3
    Intall driveway - lower drain by appox 2m, remove soil to street level appox 2m, install block paving driveway for 2 vehicle in length.

Job 4
    Rewire whole house

Job 5!
    Paint solid oak kitchen units, approx 20 units.!

Job 6!
    Skim and repaint each room - approx 4mx4m in size x 6 rooms all with high ceilings!

Job 7!
    Skim and repaint hall stairs amd landing again high ceilings.
Page 1
    • Beardmidget
    • By Beardmidget 13th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Beardmidget
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    I would have thought your best bet would be to take a contractor with you for a visit with that list of jobs and they could give you a ballpark. Personally I would be thinking you!!!8217;re looking at the thick end of about 40k, but then this is london...

Myself, I would think by far the most expensive bit of that list would be the refurb of all those windows, as their condition can mean the costs add up and provides an explanation of why people go for replacements (whether in wood or plastic or whatever).

Two things I think are probably missing from your list are
    1) central heating- if there!!!8217;s not already a newish system in there I would be looking to do it at the same time as the rest of the work- it!!!8217;s a lot of upheaval and would make sense to sort it with your new plastering, bathrooms etc etc
    2) Roof- unless work has been done to the roof, it!!!8217;s quite likely to represent your most obvious !!!8216;hidden!!!8217; cost, because again it would be a shame to renovate the house and end up with water damage from an un-refurbished roof.

(Oh and builders won!!!8217;t really care how high your ceilings are, but make sure that if you!!!8217;re wanting to save features like cornices or roses that you are explicit about it with your contractor.)
    • kiely27
    • By kiely27 13th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    kiely27
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    Thank you @beardmidget.

Unfortunately, we live 150 miles from where we are buying so will not have a chance to view it again with a contractor.

The boiler was installed, with radiators in every room, in 2006. It looked in pretty good order but is probably nearing the end of it's life.

I agree the windows are probably the costly part and I will budget around 1k per window (whilst keeping fingers crossed it's less!)

The roof looks in good shape but I will leave that for the survey, if the surveyor thinks there is an issue I would look to renegotiate.

Unfortunately the ceiling roses have already been lost.
    • kiely27
    • By kiely27 13th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    kiely27
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    Thank you @beardmidget.

Unfortunately, we live 150 miles from where we are buying so will not have a chance to view it again with a contractor.

The boiler was installed, with radiators in every room, in 2006. It looked in pretty good order but is probably nearing the end of it's life.

I agree the windows are probably the costly part and I will budget around 1k per window (whilst keeping fingers crossed it's less!)

The roof looks in good shape but I will leave that for the survey, if the surveyor thinks there is an issue I would look to renegotiate.

Unfortunately the ceiling roses have already been lost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

5,084Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin