Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 13th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 217Posts
    • 94Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Three million let their EHIC expire...
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Three million let their EHIC expire... 13th Mar 18 at 9:16 AM
    Almost three million people let their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) run out in 2017, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal. If you're due to travel in other European countries, check now if yours is still in date...
    Read the full story:
    'Three million let their EHIC expire last year - check yours now'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    Not sure why this is news.

Three million people who have previously been on holiday in Europe chose not to last year. The EHIC card is something you only need if you travel to Europe, so no reason to renew it if you aren't planning on travelling to Europe
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    Three million people who have previously been on holiday in Europe chose not to last year.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Source please?
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    Source please?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Good question! ..
    Last edited by mgdavid; 13-03-2018 at 8:54 PM.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 13th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    Not sure why this is news.

Three million people who have previously been on holiday in Europe chose not to last year. The EHIC card is something you only need if you travel to Europe, so no reason to renew it if you aren't planning on travelling to Europe
    There was actually a 7% increase in the number of European holidays taken by British people in 2017 compared to 2016. Croatia saw the largest number of British holiday makers ever, getting almost twice as many British holiday makers as in previous years.

Possibly people are getting EU breaks in before Brexit when potentially flights and insurance might increase significantly in price?

Yes there probably are some people who didn't go to Europe last year who didn't in previous years but if you go anywhere by plane it's advisable to have an EHIC. For example, when the volcanic ash cloud happened a few years back many people had an unexpected stopover in Spain.
    Last edited by epm-84; 13-03-2018 at 2:11 PM.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 13th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    Para 3 of the linked article, should you choose to read it!
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Maybe you should have chosen to read the claim made in the part of kathrynha's post quoted before posting!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    Three million people who have previously been on holiday in Europe chose not to last year.
    If that's an assumption from reading the article it's not valid - the figures given show that three million people allowed their EHIC to expire without renewing it. Perhaps most of them subsequently did renew or reapply.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    Do EHIC cardholders get a reminder when it's due to expire ?

If not, the fall in renewals is very likely a result of ignorance, rather than a conscious decision to let it lapse.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    Maybe you should have chosen to read the claim made in the part of kathrynha's post quoted before posting!
    Originally posted by epm-84
    You're absolutely right - I misread it! Post amended.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Source please?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

It's just a sensible assumption to make based on the fact that 3 million let it expire.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    It's just a sensible assumption to make based on the fact that 3 million let it expire.
    It's a guess. The lack of renewal reminder is going to be the key reason. That's a guess too, but seems more sensible.
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 14-03-2018 at 8:55 AM.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 14th Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    The lack of renewal reminder is going to be the key reason
    Correct, rather than deliberately allowing the EHIC to lapse.

I suspect the vast majority of cardholders are unaware of the expiry date.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Correct, rather than deliberately allowing the EHIC to lapse.

I suspect the vast majority of cardholders are unaware of the expiry date.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    I would think most are aware that there is an expiry date, but only check it when they have a trip coming up. Bit like a passport. you know it runs out, but you don't generally know when, or bother renewing it automatically. You just check the date when you book a trip.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 14th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I would think most are aware that there is an expiry date, but only check it when they have a trip coming up. Bit like a passport. you know it runs out, but you don't generally know when, or bother renewing it automatically
    You need to give passport details when you book a holiday, so that provides a heads up if there is a potential problem with expiry - at least I can't think of any in recent(ish) years when we haven't had to provide such.

Nobody asks for EHIC though in my experience, so it can slip under the radar.

I had to go and check ours this morning to ensure both are still within "use by" date !!!

The other issue (I suspect) is that most punters are uncertain on what kind of treatment it does and doesn't cover........me included.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    mgdavid
    You need to give passport details when you book a holiday, .........
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Not if you self-arrange (and per the frequent advice on here why would anyone use a travel agent?), you can book the flights and accommodation and add the passenger info later on. I usually do it at the seat allocation / selection stage.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    Lorian
    A more interesting question I think is - when I renew mine next year will the new one last for five years too?
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Not if you self-arrange (and per the frequent advice on here why would anyone use a travel agent?), you can book the flights and accommodation and add the passenger info later on
    Well spotted, I wasn't precise enough - I meant when it comes to entering passport details for flights etc. - that's when you might get a unwelcome reminder of its validity.

There are key advantages of booking a package holiday with the big brand outfits.

I witnessed the disadvantages of DIY in Malta, April 2010 with guests in our hotel who had made their own flight and accommodation arrangements.

Fortunately we had booked with Thomas Cook and had no such problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

7,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin