Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chelle1969
    • By Chelle1969 12th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chelle1969
    Best UK mobile sim to use In Spain
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    Best UK mobile sim to use In Spain 12th Mar 18 at 11:00 PM
    My father is retired and living in Spain and has 2 mobile phones. 1 is his Spanish phone on Vodafone the other is his UK phone on 02. He used to have the 02 bolt on favourite country Spain costing £4.99 a month. This doesnít appear to be working anymore and when he calls anyone in the UK for a 30 minute call!! He doesnít use the internet or sends texts. He receives calls from the UK and makes calls to the UK. These calls probably amount to no more than 500 minutes a month. Can anyone recommend another network provider thatís better value than 02.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    Since June last year the same tariff that he is on in UK will apply in European countries, no extra roaming charges, so that's probably why there is no longer that 'bolt on'. This 'Roam like at Home' applies to any UK network.

He should be able to receive calls on the O2 number for free, and calls to UK or other European numbers at 3p/min, 2p/sms, unless he is still on the original 'Classic' PAYG tariff at 5p/min/sms. Switching to the new cheaper tariff is done by sending an SMS to O2, I don't have exact detail to hand.

But this 'free' roaming is intended for occasional travel and is subject to fair usage policy whereby O2 are likely to cut service or revert to charging after a few months of use in Spain.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    I have friends in Spain who also use a dual SIM phone, with an O2 PAYG (UK) SIM. It is the basic 3p/2p/1p O2 PAYG (was 5p). We call their UK number out of our unlimited minutes, so it is free all round.

As the last poster mentioned, roaming is for occasional holiday and business trips abroad, not for permanent use. If O2 wake up one day, their freeloading Spanish users will be cut off.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    My father is retired and living in Spain and has 2 mobile phones. 1 is his Spanish phone on Vodafone the other is his UK phone on 02. He used to have the 02 bolt on favourite country Spain costing £4.99 a month. This doesnít appear to be working anymore and when he calls anyone in the UK for a 30 minute call!! He doesnít use the internet or sends texts. He receives calls from the UK and makes calls to the UK. These calls probably amount to no more than 500 minutes a month. Can anyone recommend another network provider thatís better value than 02.
    Originally posted by Chelle1969
    Short answer:

Similar situation for myself when living temporarily in France and the solution was net-to-net which we know as Skype: It's free.

Slightly longer answer:

The solution is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol).

The first service that comes to mind is Skype because if everyone who makes and receives calls to and from each other has Skype then calls are free. For other net-to-phone and phone-to-net calls a telephone number can be had and rates are cheap.

The second service which comes to mind is Vonage. More expensive than Skype but has the illusion of a landline and works like a landline. The benefit is that if you move you take the adapter with you.

For both of the above you need an internet connection. Ok if you already have an internet connection but (a lot) more expensive than a phone if you get an internet connection just to use V.O.I.P.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    As the last poster mentioned, roaming is for occasional holiday and business trips abroad, not for permanent use. If O2 wake up one day, their freeloading Spanish users will be cut off.
    yes 'fair use policy' is in the contract for roaming

But has anybody any experience of being cut off? or those on a monthly contract being billed for roaming in Spain, if they dont get to visit Uk regulary?
    • Chelle1969
    • By Chelle1969 16th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chelle1969
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    Unfortunately my dad isnít clued up on the internet
    • jadex
    • By jadex 17th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    jadex
    • 17th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 17th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    yes 'fair use policy' is in the contract for roaming

But has anybody any experience of being cut off? or those on a monthly contract being billed for roaming in Spain, if they dont get to visit Uk regulary?
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    not so explicitly cut off but charged for usage (as in the old days);
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 17th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 17th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    not so explicitly cut off but charged for usage (as in the old days);
    Originally posted by jadex
    Was that O2, PAYG? Just curious.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 18th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 18th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 18th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    Unfortunately my dad isnít clued up on the internet
    Originally posted by Chelle1969
    Vonage Mobile app (not the same as the Vonage Extensions app) works like Skype but you have to buy credit. Free Vonage to Vonage and cheap Vonage rates for the rest.

As I have Vonage VOIP I don't use the Mobile app but if I didn't have Vonage VOIP I would prefer Vonage Mobile over Skype.
    • fortyfoot
    • By fortyfoot 18th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fortyfoot
    Avoid EE, recently while in Tenerife I was locked into the Spanish service provider called Yoigo. Rubbish service from them. While at the airport there was no service from them.

Fortyfoot
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 18th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I am with Three, my phone has latched onto Yoigo in mainland Spain. On Three the phone has auto selected other networks too. I doubt itís just an EE/Yoigo issue.

Since June, when EU roaming opened up, the data throughput on 3 has improved significantly. Was the EE/Yoigo problem prior to then?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eDicky
    Here is Fortyfoot's thread about the problems he had with EE roaming in Tenerife:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5799626

I'm inclined to think it's a handset problem, but he was unable to try his SIM in a different phone.

I had no problem roaming in Tenerife with EE a year ago, it seems unlikely they would have limited their service since the 'Roam like at Home' began, but who knows...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin