Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Opash1986
    • By Opash1986 12th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Opash1986
    Four months between exchange and completion
    • #1
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    Four months between exchange and completion 12th Mar 18 at 10:53 PM
    Hi,

    Hope someone can help. We're due to exchange tomorrow (13/3/18) on a house but don't want to complete until 27/7/18. This is because the seller is moving in to a house that hasn't been built yet but will have by this date.

    The traditional and mainstream insurers seem to have an issue with this four and a half month period and we can't get insurance so cannot yet exchange. Does anyone know of any specialist companies where you can get cover for this period between exchange and completion?

    Thanks!
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 7,794 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • #2
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    Isn't an alternative to get the sellers to take on the risk instead? I know the norm in England & Wales is that the purchasers take on the risk (even though they don't live there yet and have got s0d all ability to control what's going on) but that doesn't mean it's compulsory.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 12th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • #3
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    could you not delay exchanging?
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    eddddy
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    could you not delay exchanging?
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    I expect that everyone (especially the newbuild developer) wants certainty that the transactions will happen.

    There is no certainty until contracts are exchanged - before that, anyone can change their mind.
    • Opash1986
    • By Opash1986 13th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Opash1986
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    Yeah thats exactly right. The new build company wants the exchabge to be done asap although the house isnt ready until June/July. I suspect we could bring forward the completion date but don't want to let the sellers suffer.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • #6
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • #6
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    ..don't want to complete until 27/7/18. This is because the seller is moving in to a house that hasn't been built yet but will have by this date.
    Originally posted by Opash1986
    Are you sure the house will be built by that date or is 27July a long stop date? Will your sellers will have a fixed completion date, or 'completion on notice'? What happens if the build under/overruns, which is frequently the case?

    Even with a fixed completion in your transaction with the seller, you'd be compensated if the seller isn't able to give you vacant possession but it's still a lot of hassle finding temporary accommodation, keeping ALL receipts etc. With completion on notice, you don't know the date until the notice is received, so need to keep alternative accommodation options open.

    Alternative is for seller to break the chain and move out into rented accommodation. Sooner the better, as its hard to get very short term rentals. Currently they could still use it for ~4 months with some overlap to allow smooth move in
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 13th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • #7
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • #7
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    saajan_12 gives good advice. Not that this answers your original question about insurance ...

    Our vendor is / was buying new build and in mid January we were told w/c 19th Feb for completion. We decided to not hold up the sale of mine and put all our stuff into storage and moved into temporary accommodation.
    We are still waiting and have no idea how long our purchase is going to take.
    The new build was taking so long and was no where near completed the vendor is now buying a different property on the same retirement development that is a probate property.
    I am getting fed up of living out of one small room!!
    Last edited by pink_pirlie; 13-03-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Remove random characters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin