Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,816Posts
    • 4,704Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Free view through Sky box
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    Free view through Sky box 12th Mar 18 at 10:44 PM
    My daughter has been asking for Disney life and because I’m mean, I said, “Yeah sure, if we can cancel Sky.”

Generally, the only reason I have Sky is for Disney and nickelodeon channels, but recently they haven’t been watching them as much as watch a lot of Netflix and YouTube.

If I cancel Sky, can I still watch freeview through the box?

Also, I will miss the record function, but I have a smart tv, so assuming I can still watch iPlayer and ITV hub?

And finally, is there an app for Disney life so that it can be watched on the telly rather through an iPad?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - £180,813.85
    Equity - £219,186.15
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 18, 1:42 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:42 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:42 AM
    You can watch a version of Freesat through your box or Freeview via aerial.

You can probably catch up with iPlayer,but some smart tvs have lost ITV Hub and Channel4 catch up. (Ours ,a Panasonic,has,but the small amount of ITV required I watch on my laptop).

ITV Hub is annoying as you get adverts which you can't fast forward past,but they offer a no ads service for, I think, £3.99 a month (not worth it).

It's easier to have something like a Humax and record, so you can forward through the ads.
    • HWW
    • By HWW 13th Mar 18, 7:58 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    HWW
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:58 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:58 AM
    Remove your viewing card - BEFORE you cancel SKY & after waiting 2 months after cancelation, re-insert your card - it should (after a couple of days) still record the Free channels & play Free channel recordings as well. It will not of course, play encrypted recordings.

It works, because at the point in time you ring up to Cancel, SKY transmit an off-air signal to "Kill" your card on a certain date. They may repeat this signal a few times, but then that's it! Remove your card & it cannot receive the signal. The same happens, if you simply stop paying for a SKY subscription.

You then have a SKY freesat recorder, in fact the card will work like this in ANY SKY box, not just the original one. As these boxes, are very well made, it is a real money saving bargain......
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    Remove your viewing card - BEFORE you cancel SKY & after waiting 2 months after cancelation, re-insert your card - it should (after a couple of days) still record the Free channels & play Free channel recordings as well. It will not of course, play encrypted recordings.

It works, because at the point in time you ring up to Cancel, SKY transmit an off-air signal to "Kill" your card on a certain date. They may repeat this signal a few times, but then that's it! Remove your card & it cannot receive the signal. The same happens, if you simply stop paying for a SKY subscription.

You then have a SKY freesat recorder, in fact the card will work like this in ANY SKY box, not just the original one. As these boxes, are very well made, it is a real money saving bargain......
    Originally posted by HWW
    Are you sure?

While that did work for a few Blue cards years ago, never head of it working for White or Red cards.
    • HWW
    • By HWW 13th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    HWW
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    Are you sure?

While that did work for a few Blue cards years ago, never head of it working for White or Red cards.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Yes certain,
    one I created myself ages ago - & two more I acquired (With BOX) from Car Boots (About £3 each) & one from a Cash Generator shop. They behave as if you are paying for the "Record & play only" £10 subscription - but your not! All White cards BTW.
    It's most important to remove the card from the box BEFORE you phone to cancel your subscription.
    Last edited by HWW; 13-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 13th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:15 PM

Originally posted by HWW
    Thanks. This sounds great.

Do I just leave the card out for two months after cancelling (I'm assuming I have to give them a month's notice). Will the box work without the card?

Or do I just leave it out when I am ringing to cancel?
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    Thanks. This sounds great.

Do I just leave the card out for two months after cancelling (I'm assuming I have to give them a month's notice). Will the box work without the card?

Or do I just leave it out when I am ringing to cancel?
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    You have to leave it out entirely for 2 months which means you wouldn't be able to record or play back recordings or access the paid for channels (Sky One, Sky Atlantic for instance) for the final 30 days of your contract.

This is because they could send the switch off signal at any time. I haven't ever tried this myself by the way so have no idea if it works. They could of course send the signal at any time in the future as well.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 13th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    You have to leave it out entirely for 2 months which means you wouldn't be able to record or play back recordings or access the paid for channels (Sky One, Sky Atlantic for instance) for the final 30 days of your contract.

This is because they could send the switch off signal at any time. I haven't ever tried this myself by the way so have no idea if it works. They could of course send the signal at any time in the future as well.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks for this. That's fair enough. I don't watch any of them anyways. And my daughters have said they will forego Disney and Nickelodeon.

But freesat or freeview would still work without the card in the box?

I have looked up my bill for the next few months and it has gone up (still no letter), but only by 90p. Not the point though, right? I can still get out of my contract?
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    Thanks for this. That's fair enough. I don't watch any of them anyways. And my daughters have said they will forego Disney and Nickelodeon.

Post #2

I have looked up my bill for the next few months and it has gone up (still no letter), but only by 90p. Not the point though, right? I can still get out of my contract?
    Unlikely if your within the minimum term. You need to see what the letter states.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 13-03-2018 at 4:35 PM.
    • HWW
    • By HWW 13th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    HWW
    To see what you get for free, just pull the card out now! It is similar, but not quite the same that you get on Freeview. Probably give it 3 months after your contract has expired with SKY, to be safe. The cards I use, expired their contracts over 2 years ago & still record & play.
    You will obviously have to subscribe to the end of your contract - SKY MIGHT even make you a very cheap offer for you to stay when you ring to cancel - your choice if you take it of course. As with Internet Providers "Better a tiny bit of cash from you, than none at all" is their logic - of course, they would much prefer it, for you to have a full subscription.
    Good money saving.....
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Yes, you don't need a card in the box for Freesat from Sky (well mostly).

It used to be the case that you needed a card for the likes of channels 4 & 5 both for instance but now there's only really the Sony Channel that still needs the card (there a handful of others but you'd probably never watch them).

The following link shows all channels (including upcoming changes) on the Sky platform. The Free-to-air channels don't need a card, the Free-to-view channels don't require a subscription but do need the card in the box.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Sky_(UK_and_Ireland)
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Mar 18, 1:17 AM
    • 20,483 Posts
    • 11,351 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Pulling out the viewing card prior to cancellation won't subsequently leave the Sky+ functionality in place.
    This apparent glitch was fixed some years ago.

In addition, the OP would have to forgo all her subscription channels for the notice period, a month she'll still have to pay Sky for.

Far easier to just cancel in the normal way and use the Sky box simply to subsequently view the Free-To-air channels post cancellation.

Freesat-From-Sky's days are numbered anyhow. As more and more customers migrate to SkyQ (now at two million), those who cancel will have to return their decoder to Sky.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Post #2

Unlikely if your within the minimum term. You need to see what the letter states.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    It worked with BT Broadband. They tried putting it up by £2 ish within contract and I rang them and left them. Is this not a similar scenario.

I don't watch anything that is paid for, so don't mind trying the pulling out the card trick.
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Think my telly might be too old to stream Disney Life through it. Might have to buy a firestick (which is two months' worth of Sky).

Through my PS3, we seem to get Netflix and iPlayer and the like.
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 14th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    It worked with BT Broadband. They tried putting it up by £2 ish within contract and I rang them and left them. Is this not a similar scenario.
    No.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74020587&postcount=9

I don't watch anything that is paid for, so don't mind trying the pulling out the card trick.
    Post #12
    • HWW
    • By HWW 15th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    HWW
    Pulling out the viewing card prior to cancellation won't subsequently leave the Sky+ functionality in place.
    This apparent glitch was fixed some years ago.

In addition, the OP would have to forgo all her subscription channels for the notice period, a month she'll still have to pay Sky for.

Far easier to just cancel in the normal way and use the Sky box simply to subsequently view the Free-To-air channels post cancellation.

Freesat-From-Sky's days are numbered anyhow. As more and more customers migrate to SkyQ (now at two million), those who cancel will have to return their decoder to Sky.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    How do you explain the three white cards I have, that still record with no Subscription to this day?
    True, once SKY have conned everyone into SKY Q - it will be job done, but until then.......
    Save some cash folks.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 20,483 Posts
    • 11,351 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    How do you explain the three white cards I have, that still record with no Subscription to this day?
    Originally posted by HWW
    The glitch is fixed so that it doesn't work now. I didn't say it hadn't worked in the past.

If the OP (or anyone else) wants to take a gamble and attempt this then by all means do so.

The problem is that it means no access to subscription channels from the moment the card is pulled out and therefore for the whole month-long notice period. There is then no guarantee it will even work..
    Save some cash folks.
    Originally posted by HWW
    Actually wasting money in my opinion, paying Sky for a whole month of subscription channels which won't be viewable.
    • HWW
    • By HWW 15th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    HWW
    The glitch is fixed so that it doesn't work now. I didn't say it hadn't worked in the past.

If the OP (or anyone else) wants to take a gamble and attempt this then by all means do so.

The problem is that it means no access to subscription channels from the moment the card is pulled out and therefore for the whole month-long notice period. There is then no guarantee it will even work..

Actually wasting money in my opinion, paying Sky for a whole month of subscription channels which won't be viewable.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    How do you know it was "Fixed" ? source of your knowledge please.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin