Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilem
    • By neilem 12th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 102Thanks
    neilem
    S&S ISA - US stocks
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    S&S ISA - US stocks 12th Mar 18 at 10:35 PM
    Hello, I have a Cash ISA and HTB ISA, latter being the only active ISA this tax year. Im wanting to put some money into a S&S ISA (10-15k) before this term ends.

What provider is recommended when investing into US stocks? I have marked out a couple, so Id need to select these individually myself, as opposed to a fund. Also, maybe the possibility of a precious metal ETF (optional).

Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks!
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 7,836 Posts
    • 14,311 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    The different platforms/ brokers don't all offer all the foreign markets and some will not offer any foreign ones at all. Will you only want US stocks forever, or do you want US stocks now but then Hong Kong and Australian listed stocks in a few months time and German and Swiss stocks next year?

Depending on the amount of buying and selling you're doing and size of deals you're doing, the fee per transaction may not be as important as the fx commission rate. You can't hold foreign currency cash in an ISA so all your dollar purchases and sales will get converted from / to sterling each time. If a typical broker transaction fee to place the trade on the stockmarket for you is 10-15 per trade but you are trading in 5000+ chunks of stock, that trade cost is only about 0.2% of your transaction size and over a long term holding period can be pretty much ignored; whereas the broker might charge you 0.75%-1% of fx rate loading on your buy and sell which is 1.5 to 2% for the round trip. Whereas if you are only buying 1000-worth at a time, a 10 fee is a whole percent so you would be looking to try to shave down the fixed transaction fees rather than just looking at for the lowest fx rates.

Brokers that cover the US market (and others) include IG.com, interactive investor (iii), AJBell Youinvest and many more ; I just mention those to get you started as on average the others are more expensive or offer fewer international markets or don't offer ISAs or whatever.

You mention you have marked out a couple of stocks to select individually as opposed to a fund; but within your 10-15k will it all be stocks/ETFs or might you want some open ended funds too (OEICs / unit trusts)? As not everyone offers everything - e.g. IG.com are competitive for US stocks but don't do OEICs, while Youinvest and iii do open ended stuff but their charging structures will differ.

The precious metal ETF is not really a problem as you can buy them on the London exchange quite easily.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    I am with Halifax and have ended up with US stock due to take overs. Some of this stock can be traded live online and some can't, so once you have picked a platform I would message them and find out just what sort of trades you can place as trading over the phone may be more expensive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,054Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin