Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 12th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,134Posts
    • 1,130Thanks
    Alan Cross
    A healthy 'full English'...
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    A healthy 'full English'... 12th Mar 18 at 9:56 PM
    I suspect this has been aired more than once before... but, just in case, I thought I would share with folk the results of my recent scheming.

Full English breakfast - images of greasy spoon cafes and the idea of a heart-attack-on-a-plate, right? Not necessarily. Here's what I've come up with:

Egg.......... poached
    Sausage........ Linda Macartney veggie version (don't bother with any other type - they're all awful sawdust jobs)
    Bacon........ no, Tesco bacon-style turkey rashers
    1 medium Tomato...... halved or quartered
    Baked beans.......Tesco low salt/sugar variety - actually still very tasty
    Mushrooms........ full, halved, quartered, sliced according to taste
    Bread......... toast, rather than fried bread
    OJ 150ml......or other breakfast juice but not 'juice drink', to accompany

The only things that necessarily have to be fried as such are the tomato, the 'bacon' and the veggie sausage. The beans can be heated on the hob or microwaved and the cut up mushrooms with them.

Use a minimum of oil - ordinary 'vegetable' (i.e. rapeseed) oil is better than sunflower or olive.

This is actually a surprisingly healthy, low-ish fat breakfast which is pretty authentic and true to the taste of your traditional 'full English'. It also gives you 2 - 3 of your five-a-day straight off, amazingly. As a recovering heart patient I can now have this at least once per week without qualms.
Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    I'd rather not have sausage than eat vegetarian ones. But that's just my taste.

Surely bacon & sausage can be grilled instead of fried.

I have a 'full English breakfast' once in a blue moon so wouldn't worry unduly about it being that healthy.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 19,911 Thanks
    JIL
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    I do mine in the oven!
    Oven goes on top quality sausages go in, with hash browns.
    I then put a little oil in the wok, heat it and toss some mushrooms in it, these then go in the oven, I half tomatoes and they go in. I even put the baked beans in a casserole dish. I let this bake for 25 mins and then I put the bacon in the oven. I have been known to brush bread with a little oil and bake that, can't tell it's not fried bread.

My eggs are done by putting a little oil into the frying pan, cracking the eggs in, letting them cook a little then I add boiled water from the kettle, not loads just enough to create some steam lid on and they come out like fried eggs.

Then I just serve and it's all got and not greasy.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 30,364 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    I would never eat a cardbored snorker. As for the turkey rasher, reformed meat cannot beat best back!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    Cauldron fresh sausages are the nicest veggie ones I've found even though I haven't found them cheaper than nice meat ones. I wasn't overly keen on the Linda ones but will snack from the pack with cauldron.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    I do mine in the oven!
    Oven goes on top quality sausages go in, with hash browns.
    I then put a little oil in the wok, heat it and toss some mushrooms in it, these then go in the oven, I half tomatoes and they go in. I even put the baked beans in a casserole dish. I let this bake for 25 mins and then I put the bacon in the oven. I have been known to brush bread with a little oil and bake that, can't tell it's not fried bread.

My eggs are done by putting a little oil into the frying pan, cracking the eggs in, letting them cook a little then I add boiled water from the kettle, not loads just enough to create some steam lid on and they come out like fried eggs.

Then I just serve and it's all got and not greasy.
    Originally posted by JIL
    Oh yes, it must be high meat content sausages.
    And (for me) plain pork for breakfast. I save the 'fancier' ones for other meals.

I would never eat a cardbored snorker. As for the turkey rasher, reformed meat cannot beat best back!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    And proper dry cured bacon, not the stuff that gives out that awful white foamy water.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    For me, a healthy full English would be:
    -Good quality butchers sausage - grilled
    -Dry cured bacon medallions - grilled
    -'Fried' egg - dry fried, done in a decent non-stick pan
    -Mushrooms - grilled
    -Tomato - grilled
    -Baked beans

No veggie sausages or fake bacon. Good quality proper versions are a lot healthier than overly processed alternatives

If I'm wanting a treat, a slice of black pudding with it too. Once again the better quality stuff has less fat and more flavour, and it too can be grilled
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 5,240 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    But if course "the experts" are now coming round to the view that natural fats are not bad for you after all.

I often eat a full English - but with no bread. A high protein, low carb, diet has helped many people to lose weight and lower BP.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 24,065 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    But if course "the experts" are now coming round to the view that natural fats are not bad for you after all.

I often eat a full English - but with no bread. A high protein, low carb, diet has helped many people to lose weight and lower BP.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Nearly what I was going to say. I've cut out most of the carbs, lost nearly 1.5 stones and weigh the same now as I did 35 years ago. Been high fat/low carbing for about 3 years now, as has my OH with similar results. I eat chocolate every day, except it's 74% cocoa and look forward to my weekly full English at my breakfast group.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For me, a healthy full English would be:
    -Good quality butchers sausage - grilled
    -Dry cured bacon medallions - grilled
    -'Fried' egg - dry fried, done in a decent non-stick pan
    -Mushrooms - grilled
    -Tomato - grilled
    -Baked beans

No veggie sausages or fake bacon. Good quality proper versions are a lot healthier than overly processed alternatives

If I'm wanting a treat, a slice of black pudding with it too. Once again the better quality stuff has less fat and more flavour, and it too can be grilled
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    I've got my coat on and I'm on my way round to yours.

Re black pudding: I like a slice from the big pudding rather than a round from the little sausages - and it has to be from a 'proper' butcher.
    My Christmas morning breakfast is a tomato sausage and black pudding sandwich with brown sauce (HP of course).

Re the thread topic, I go with the 'everything in moderation' principle.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    A full English IMHO should be an occasional and proper treat. When we have it, it is the main meal of the day.
    Personally I wouldn't spend any calories on Linda McCartney sausages & turkey 'bacon' but we all have likes and dislikes, and I share my ideas below in the same spirit.
    Vege version in our house includes Glamorgan sausages done in the oven (see Delia, and they freeze well)
    And one of my favourite 'quick snack anytime, go with anything' recipes (thanks to Rose Elliott where I found this recipe and have been making for 35 years!). Sweet corn fritters:
    Separate 1 egg. Stir about 10ml cornflour into the yolk and add a drop of milk to make a smooth, thick batter. Season well - I often add a few chilli flakes.
    Beat the egg white, it has to be frothy, but not as much as meringue
    Stir all together with a small can of drained sweetcorn (grated courgette can be used during a glut, but need a lot of seasoning). Double for a large can.
    Lightly oil a pan and drop spoonfuls on - they don't soak up much oil.

I too do tomatoes and mushrooms in the oven. We don't regularly feed vegans.
    Last edited by buildersdaughter; 13-03-2018 at 9:35 AM. Reason: addition
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I've been served grilled halloumi instead of sausage in a veggie fry-up; this went surprisingly well with eggs and beans.

Just reducing the portion size of everything would help; I was genuinely shocked by the size of the "large" breakfast in Weatherspoons (3 sausages, 3 rashers, 3 eggs etc).
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 19,385 Posts
    • 44,943 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Are the processed foods like LMcC 'sausages' and 'bacon-style turkey rashers' really better for us than the natural product in moderation? I doubt it.

Which sausages would you prefer:
    Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (64%), Water, Soya Protein Concentrate, Palm Oil, Seasoning (Sulphites) (Dextrose, Salt, Flavourings, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Colour: Red Iron Oxide), Rapeseed Oil, Rusk (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Bicarbonate), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Tomato Pur!e, Salt

or

Pork shoulder (86%), water, FORTIFIED WHEAT FLOUR (wheat flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin), hog casing, sea salt, ground spices nutmeg, ginger, black pepper, mace, mustard powder and chilli powder, salt, herbs thyme and sage, antioxidant ascorbic acid, yeast

And which bacon would you prefer:
    Turkey Breast (84%), Water, Salt, Lactose (Milk), Flavouring, Sugar, Stabilisers (Sodium Triphosphate, Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Polyphosphate), Dextrose, Onion Powder, Preservative (Sodium Nitrite)

or

Free range British pork (97%), sea salt, light brown sugar, preservative sodium nitrite
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    ITA peachy, but to each their own.

I was amused by a friend who has for years tried to reduce sugar and fat in her diet, and would buy processed foods that advertised as such. I buy very few processed foods. She would say 'do you know how much sugar is in a loaf of bread?' Me 'yes'. She 'It's x spoonsful'. Me 'No, it's 2.50ml'. She always fell for it, even though she knew I made my own.
    The most recent was 'you must stop eating yoghourt, it's full of sugar'. Me 'no it isn't'. She 'have you read the information on the carton?' etcetc. She has eaten my home cooking so many times, but doesn't quite believe it's done from scratch!
    Last edited by buildersdaughter; 13-03-2018 at 1:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 13th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    My yogurt contains no sugar whatsoever, nor preservatives,
    stabilisers, thickeners or anything else. I make it myself by the litre or two in my Instant Pot and sometimes strain to make a thick yogurt. Anything I put on it is home prepared...stewed fruit, hm lemon curd, home made jam. Sometimes a bit of sugar, but never artificial sweeteners. Exception is that honey isn't home prepared.

ITA peachy, but to each their own.

I was amused by a friend who has for years tried to reduce sugar and fat in her diet, and would buy processed foods that advertised as such. I buy very few processed foods. She would say 'do you know how much sugar is in a loaf of bread?' Me 'yes'. She 'It's x spoonsful'. Me 'No, it's 2.50ml'. She always fell for it, even though she knew I made my own.
    The most recent was 'you must stop eating yoghourt, it's full of sugar'. Me 'no it isn't'. She 'have you read the information on the carton?' etcetc. She has eaten my home cooking so many times, but doesn't quite believe it's done from scratch!
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    suki1964
    No harm to the op, but I'd rather go without then eat that

The once in a blue moon I have a fry up ( about once in 6 weeks ) it's a proper one, grilled real high meat content sausages and proper dry cure bacon. I grant that I do prefer poached eggs, beans, potato-bread,mushrooms nuked with a nob of butter and if I can find it, real proper black pudding with big lumps of fat in it, not that stuff made with pearl barley

A fry is a treat and it should be big enough to keep you going until tea time at least, which mine does

I always thought that LMs 'sausages' were very high fat
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 13th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    Izadora
    I always thought that LMs 'sausages' were very high fat
    Originally posted by suki1964
    They're only 5.4g fat per 100g. They are utterly disgusting though.

I agree with Lolly, Cauldron are the best veggie sausages. They are pretty high in fat though, 9.8g per 100g. Strangely, they're lower in saturated fat than the LM ones though.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    I just wanted to echo the Tesco reduced salt and sugar beans recommendation. I tried the Heinz one but it's awful - then I saw why. They add sweetener! It's not good.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • MSE Nick T
    • By MSE Nick T 15th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MSE Nick T
    Has anyone noticed if it's been cheaper to switch out meat in their fry ups?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Has anyone noticed if it's been cheaper to switch out meat in their fry ups?
    Originally posted by MSE Nick T
    Why would anyone - meat eaters anyway - want to 'switch out meat' to save money if
    A full English IMHO should be an occasional and proper treat. When we have it, it is the main meal of the day.
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    If I couldn't afford decent meat (sausage & bacon) in the rare fry-up I have, I'd cook something else.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin