Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rjb2011
    • By rjb2011 12th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    rjb2011
    Creditors
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    Creditors 12th Mar 18 at 9:25 PM
    Hi,
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section Ė Iím sure some kind admin will move it if it is.

My wife died back in Aug last year, she had a debt repayment plan set up with payplan who I informed but wouldnít tell me who or what the amounts involved were because of the usual data protection nonsense! They did however tell me that they would let her creditors know.

About three months later I had some letters from creditors and paid the outstanding amounts from her estate. Recently I have had a very aggressive letter (dated 19th Feb but only received Thursday last week!) that basically said I had been ignoring their correspondence (even though there hasnít been any) and here is what my wife owes to XXXX finance, pay immediately or else. There is enough left in the estate to clear this amount, thatís not the issue, but I would like to know what it is I am paying for ie storecards/loans/something else, all I have is the name of the finance company (which means nothing to me) and an amount owing Ė Iím sure it isnít, but for all I know this could be scam!

Itís one of the same management companies I dealt with a the three month stage and they were very polite then, but the post-dated letter and my alleged ignoring of 'previous correspondence' has really gotten my back up, so I would like to know what Iím actually paying for Ė my question is, am I entitled to ask and be given that information or will they be able to hide behind data protection

Rob.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 3,364 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    Hi,
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section Ė Iím sure some kind admin will move it if it is.

My wife died back in Aug last year, she had a debt repayment plan set up with payplan who I informed but wouldnít tell me who or what the amounts involved were because of the usual data protection nonsense! They did however tell me that they would let her creditors know.

About three months later I had some letters from creditors and paid the outstanding amounts from her estate. Recently I have had a very aggressive letter (dated 19th Feb but only received Thursday last week!) that basically said I had been ignoring their correspondence (even though there hasnít been any) and here is what my wife owes to XXXX finance, pay immediately or else. There is enough left in the estate to clear this amount, thatís not the issue, but I would like to know what it is I am paying for ie storecards/loans/something else, all I have is the name of the finance company (which means nothing to me) and an amount owing Ė Iím sure it isnít, but for all I know this could be scam!

Itís one of the same management companies I dealt with a the three month stage and they were very polite then, but the post-dated letter and my alleged ignoring of 'previous correspondence' has really gotten my back up, so I would like to know what Iím actually paying for Ė my question is, am I entitled to ask and be given that information or will they be able to hide behind data protection

Rob.
    Originally posted by rjb2011
    Are you the executor? If so then of course you are entitled to know. If so did you publish the statutory notice in the gazette?
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 13th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 2,921 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    Data Protection rules only relate to living individuals so does not apply to an executor/admisnistrator managing a deceased's estate.
    • rjb2011
    • By rjb2011 13th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rjb2011
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    Unfortunately my wife died intestate.

If payplan had been helpful in the first instance and just let me know who and what she owed I could have contacted them directly to sort this out.

Thanks for the clarification on Data Protection, it has to be one of the most misused pieces of legislation ever brought in.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 3,364 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    Unfortunately my wife died intestate.

If payplan had been helpful in the first instance and just let me know who and what she owed I could have contacted them directly to sort this out.

Thanks for the clarification on Data Protection, it has to be one of the most misused pieces of legislation ever brought in.
    Originally posted by rjb2011
    So have you applied for letters of administration? If you have then you are entitled to know. In any case the creditor is going to have to prove the debt before they can be paid. Don.t let them bully you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin