Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Telegraph Sam
    • By Telegraph Sam 12th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Telegraph Sam
    Payment plans = subsidy by consumer?
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    Payment plans = subsidy by consumer? 12th Mar 18 at 9:00 PM
    I can understand that at the start of a new contract the energy supplier might wish to ask for payment in advance, by one month say. After all but a year however I did a "reconciliation" of my account and came to the conclusion that I was still one month in credit. I asked for a refund of the credit but get the impression that the supplier [Green Network Energy] is unwilling to do this. Can energy suppliers rightfully insist on their customers pre-financing them even after months' of supply? There may of course be a clause to this effect buried in some small print somewhere ..
    Telegraph Sam
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    I can understand that at the start of a new contract the energy supplier might wish to ask for payment in advance, by one month say. After all but a year however I did a "reconciliation" of my account and came to the conclusion that I was still one month in credit. I asked for a refund of the credit but get the impression that the supplier [Green Network Energy] is unwilling to do this. Can energy suppliers rightfully insist on their customers pre-financing them even after months' of supply? There may of course be a clause to this effect buried in some small print somewhere ..
    Originally posted by Telegraph Sam
    Read the tcs and cs. Many suppliers now insist on a minimum of one month’s credit.

Suppliers pay their wholesalers in advance of supply. I pay Sky; phone; broadband; road tax; insurance etc at the beginning of a contract or at the start of a monthly billing period, so why not energy? You could always choose a supplier that doesn’t want to be paid in advance but one that charges higher prices. As I am sure you know, your energy credit balance is 100% protected by the Consumer Levy.
    • Telegraph Sam
    • By Telegraph Sam 12th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Telegraph Sam
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    Tks for clarification.
    " As I am sure you know, your energy credit balance is 100% protected by the Consumer Levy." To be frank I didn't know, your faith in me was misplaced.
    Telegraph Sam
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    Tks for clarification.
    " As I am sure you know, your energy credit balance is 100% protected by the Consumer Levy." To be frank I didn't know, your faith in me was misplaced.
    Originally posted by Telegraph Sam
    The Consumer Levy was introduced in the Autumn of 2016 - just before GBEnergy went bust. Ofgem will appoint a Supplier of Last Resort in the event of a supplier failure. This supplier will take on existing customers along with their credit balances. The new supplier will pay something for the new business and Ofgem will pay them the balance to cover all credit balances. GBEnery failed owing £25M. Ofgem paid the Coop just over £10M from the Consumer Levy. Who pays the Consumer Levy: the answer is we all do in the form of higher bills. Is it fair: no it isn!!!8217;t. Why should Granny who has been with British Gas for years, contribute to payouts for consumers who have chosen a small/cheap supplier with no money in the Bank that goes bust? My view is that Ofgem should be insisting on insurance backed Indemnity Bonds from all suppliers, but what do I know.
    Last edited by Hengus; 12-03-2018 at 9:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,981Posts Today

8,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin