Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boo-HTID
    • By Boo-HTID 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Boo-HTID
    Credit card and mortgage application
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    Credit card and mortgage application 12th Mar 18 at 8:24 PM
    Hi, I'm looking at applying for a mortgage for my 1st home in November and i was wondering if i should close my credit card account to give me a better chance at getting accepted.

It has a 2500 limit but i only spend around 30 a month on it and i pay it off every month, Ive had it for around 20 months.

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 16,803 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    Only if you have lots of other cards and very high limits compared to your income.

Obviously if it's your only one, you want to keep using it to demonstrate good credit management, and get another one at least as a back up.
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Caraway90
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    I agree with zx81, if it's your only one, keep using it.

Why are you considering closing it?
    FTB 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin