Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 69Thanks
    gillybean129
    Neighbour damaged my gate....I have CCTV evidence!
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    Neighbour damaged my gate....I have CCTV evidence! 12th Mar 18 at 8:07 PM
    This morning we could not get out of the gate, it had been slammed and bent so is now stuck.
    We have CCTV and can see a neighbour lower down (whom I once had a row with 15 years ago) had forcefully closed it resulting in the damage.
    This is criminal damage, but it feels petty to go to the police and I don't want to cause ill feeling, also I know her partner is very anxious and this would cause him grief.
    But I don't like confrontation, would you just let this go?
    She had come from church, I had thought if speaking with the vicar as he'd know her, thoughts?
Page 2
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    You donít need to prove intent.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

Call the police then. I'm sure they'll appreciate the call.

"My neighbour shut my gate because it was open. It's broken. The people on the internet said I shouldn't call the vicar."
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    You donít need to prove intent.
    Either intent or recklessness. Hard to see how closing a gate 'forcibly' could be views as reckless to the point of criminal damage.

The police really really won't be interested. Almost certainly less so that the vicar.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 13th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Grenage
    Don't waste your time on the police, skip straight ahead to the Daily Mail; they'd string this out over a 4-page spread.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Call the police then. I'm sure they'll appreciate the call.

"My neighbour shut my gate because it was open. It's broken. The people on the internet said I shouldn't call the vicar."
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Whether they appreciate it or not, theyíll need to records the crime. Once thatís done it OP is entitled to an investigation.

I can see how they can ignore it given there cctv evidence.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I can see how they can ignore it given there cctv evidence.
    We don't need you to demonstrate that people make errors.

None of us has seen the footage, but what it probably shows is the lady ramming the gate shut, because that's what the OP says it shows. It will show nothing of the intent behind the action, and now it's broken, it will be hard to assume it was anything other than very stiff.

So the police will be able to concur with the OP that the lady shut the gate with some force, but not why she did that, or indeed whether there was any criminal intent behind that action.

So, as Nick Clegg said about Brexit yesterday, it would all be a "monumental waste of time."

I pay about £3.50 a week for the police in my area and I'd certainly not want that money spent on useless action like you are apparently proposing.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're readyÖ..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 13th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Wassa123
    Maybe we need to see the footage to see what level of vandalism we're talking about.

Have you spoken to the woman about it? It could be she was drunk or doing something silly and is highly embarrassed and would offer to right the wrong.

Alternatively, you could call the police and report it on 101. They'll probably send a PCSO around as this is the kind of stuff they deal with. This is what happened when some 13 year old kids went round causing damage to cars and property.

We ended up with a letter of apology and 6 months worth of his pocket money to pay for the damage, along with a youth referral order and them being banned from the area.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    We don't need you to demonstrate that people make errors.

None of us has seen the footage, but what it probably shows is the lady ramming the gate shut, because that's what the OP says it shows. It will show nothing of the intent behind the action, and now it's broken, it will be hard to assume it was anything other than very stiff.

So the police will be able to concur with the OP that the lady shut the gate with some force, but not why she did that, or indeed whether there was any criminal intent behind that action.

So, as Nick Clegg said about Brexit yesterday, it would all be a "monumental waste of time."

I pay about £3.50 a week for the police in my area and I'd certainly not want that money spent on useless action like you are apparently proposing.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    However if the op reports a crime it will be recorded as such before your three quid is spent investigating it.

Out of interest at what level would you suggest police ignore crime?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave

Out of interest at what level would you suggest police ignore crime?
    It's not a case of 'ignoring,' it's a situation of deciding how to deploy limited resources.

Most of the time, it's sufficient the police make a note of something they're told, so they can issue a crime number and log the incident.

You were suggesting they visit the OP and view the footage, which would not be a good use of time, as I've already explained.

Obviously, if the woman continued to cause damage and/or a situation of harrassment developed, police intervention would be appropriate.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're readyÖ..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 13th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Wassa123
    It's not a case of 'ignoring,' it's a situation of deciding how to deploy limited resources.

Most of the time, it's sufficient the police make a note of something they're told, so they can issue a crime number and log the incident.

You were suggesting they visit the OP and view the footage, which would not be a good use of time, as I've already explained.

Obviously, if the woman continued to cause damage and/or a situation of harrassment developed, police intervention would be appropriate.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    If the OP has the CCTV footage of the "crime" then that's good enough to get a PCSO around. Open and closed case. Whether the OP wants to talk to the neighbour instead is the issue.

Police will prioritise incidents they get so theres no harm in reporting it. I once called the police to report kids on motorbikes/scooters riding on the pavement (without helmets). "Are you worried about their safety" they asked. "No I don't care about that, I'm worried about them hitting my parked car". I was actually surprised that on a Friday night, this was their most important priority so they sent someone straight round.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think some on here may not be getting the point that this is OP's gate and not some communal gate that the neighbour was slamming.

The thing that isn't clear is whether there was a reason for the neighbour to touch the gate in the first place - as in, for instance, I've shut peoples gates as I went past them if I could see someone else might find they were obstructing the pavement they were trying to walk along.

So - there's a bit of a difference as to whether the gate was causing an obstruction to where people would be trying to walk or it was totally unnecessary for anyone to go touching someone else's gate in the first place (ie OP's).

There are neighbours that do odd things to someone else's property that there is no logical reason for. One of mine was being that way - pretty often - so what I did was "Tell Everyone" and laugh about her for being so odd. I'm guessing it eventually got back to her that her odd behaviour was being thrown right out around the local grapevine - and it did stop eventually (and...yes.....I'm pretty certain that a bit of damage that happened was down to her odd behaviour).
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    No, people do get it. And they still think it's a waste of the vicar and the police's time. And that it was almost certainly unintentional until we see otherwise.

Even the OP got bored.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave
    If the OP has the CCTV footage of the "crime" then that's good enough to get a PCSO around. Open and closed case.
    Originally posted by Wassa123
    There's no 'case,' unless someone who has the authority decides there is.

At best, the PCSO will visit the neighbour and ask for an explanation. This is just getting the police to do something that the OP could do herself.

I have reported 3 'incidents' in the past 10 years using 101. None of them required a follow-up or visit, because they were isolated events which didn't develop further. This could be similar, but if not, the footage is there and the event is logged.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If the OP has the CCTV footage of the "crime" then that's good enough to get a PCSO around. Open and closed case. Whether the OP wants to talk to the neighbour instead is the issue.

Police will prioritise incidents they get so theres no harm in reporting it. I once called the police to report kids on motorbikes/scooters riding on the pavement (without helmets). "Are you worried about their safety" they asked. "No I don't care about that, I'm worried about them hitting my parked car". I was actually surprised that on a Friday night, this was their most important priority so they sent someone straight round.
    Originally posted by Wassa123
    It doesnít work like that, but you obviously think itís a crime not worth bothering about. Maybe your attitude would change if you ever became the victim.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 13th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Ask the vicar to excommunicate her
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    On a practical note, assuming that she shut the gate because it was open, and, in her mind at least, "In her way", what about putting a closing spring on it?
    I'd also make sure that the gate itself, hinges, catches and stops if any are "up to the job"
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It doesn!!!8217;t work like that, but you obviously think it!!!8217;s a crime not worth bothering about. Maybe your attitude would change if you ever became the victim.
    My husband's car was broken into a few weeks ago. They stole my keys from it. I had to change the locks on both our house and my car. That's a proper and worrying crime. Stuff happens; I dealt with with it by being pragmatic. I fixed what I could fix and I remembered that worse really could happen. As I said earlier, we also caught someone else's car being robbed this weekend and reported it.

The following week someone knocked my husband's wing mirror off. They were moving very slowly and they did not stop as it started cracking and just pushed it off entirely. They knew what they were doing. We have that on CCTV. We haven't actually done anything yet but at the moment we are waiting to speak to that person if we see them again. If we don't, we'll report it but don't expect the police to do anything.

If someone bent my gate, I think I'd wonder what was wrong with the gate, not the person who closed it, in order for it to do that.

Victim is a mentality.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    My husband's car was broken into a few weeks ago. They stole my keys from it. I had to change the locks on both our house and my car. That's a proper and worrying crime. Stuff happens; I dealt with with it by being pragmatic. I fixed what I could fix and I remembered that worse really could happen. As I said earlier, we also caught someone else's car being robbed this weekend and reported it.

The following week someone knocked my husband's wing mirror off. They were moving very slowly and they did not stop as it started cracking and just pushed it off entirely. They knew what they were doing. We have that on CCTV. We haven't actually done anything yet but at the moment we are waiting to speak to that person if we see them again. If we don't, we'll report it but don't expect the police to do anything.

If someone bent my gate, I think I'd wonder what was wrong with the gate, not the person who closed it, in order for it to do that.

Victim is a mentality.
    So why should the police be concerned about your husbands car and not the OPs gate?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    So why should the police be concerned about your husbands car and not the OPs gate?
    They're not! That's the point. You report it because you have to for insurance' sake. But if they were bothered it would be because someone purposefully and wilfully broke into a £25k car to steal its contents and probably does it over and over again for a "living". My car and the entire contents of my house were compromised and they cost a great deal more than a gate hinge. The wing mirror almost certainly does too and the reason we haven't reported it yet is because we'll gain absolutely nothing and it's a waste of time.

Perhaps Davesnave's £3.50s would be able to go towards the police dealing with repeat car criminals if people weren't phoning them about gate hinges that may or may not have been broken on purpose and may or may not have happened had someone else done the same.

You're trolling this thread.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-03-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    They're not! That's the point. You report it because you have to for insurance' sake. But if they were bothered it would be because someone purposefully and wilfully broke into a £25k car to steal its contents and probably does it over and over again for a "living". My car and the entire contents of my house were compromised and they cost a great deal more than a gate hinge. The wing mirror almost certainly does too and the reason we haven't reported it yet is because we'll gain absolutely nothing and it's a waste of time.

Perhaps Davesnave's £3.50s would be able to go towards the police dealing with repeat car criminals if people weren't phoning them about gate hinges that may or may not have been broken on purpose and may or may not have happened had someone else done the same.

You're trolling this thread.
    No, Iím simply stating facts you donít agree with.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    No, Iím simply stating facts you donít agree with.
    No. You're asking stupid questions. I didn't say the police were concerned at all. That's the entire point. They don't care. Even the OP wasn't phoning the police.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin