Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 69Thanks
    gillybean129
    Neighbour damaged my gate....I have CCTV evidence!
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    Neighbour damaged my gate....I have CCTV evidence! 12th Mar 18 at 8:07 PM
    This morning we could not get out of the gate, it had been slammed and bent so is now stuck.
    We have CCTV and can see a neighbour lower down (whom I once had a row with 15 years ago) had forcefully closed it resulting in the damage.
    This is criminal damage, but it feels petty to go to the police and I don't want to cause ill feeling, also I know her partner is very anxious and this would cause him grief.
    But I don't like confrontation, would you just let this go?
    She had come from church, I had thought if speaking with the vicar as he'd know her, thoughts?
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 36,003 Posts
    • 46,359 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    Is this your garden gate, a communal gate. or what. Hardly criminal damage unless forcefully was unnecessary, maybe it was just a little stiff.
    why would this have anything to do with a row you had 15 years ago,

as for speaking to the vicar. what has he got to do with it.

I think I would just move on to be honest.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    Why is it criminal damage? You think they deliberately broke your gate because you had an argument 15 years ago?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    It's broken, she did it, I can see the force it was pulled at.
    I have no idea why she would do this, she is very weird.
    It's my gate on the pavement....
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    She's got competition.
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    What do you mean?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    It's broken, she did it, I can see the force it was pulled at.
    I have no idea why she would do this, she is very weird.
    It's my gate on the pavement....
    Originally posted by gillybean129
    Is she strong? If its bent, I assume its metal?

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 62,482 Posts
    • 365,956 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    This is nothing to do with the Church.....

The problem you will have is that you can't vouch for whether or not the gate was 100% fully functioning before she shut it. It could have been on its last legs and she was the unlucky person who shut it when it finally jammed for you.

You have a film of her shutting the gate in a forceful manner, but many people are ham-fisted... you don't have a video of her hanging off the gate and jumping up and down on it cackling at the moon .... just a heavy-fisted woman shutting a gate that probably needed some maintenance and chose that moment to break in a manner that then caused you trouble to use it.

In short .... this is something just "best left". Stuff happens. It sounds like it's possible that this stuff "just happened".

Next time, if you can get a video of her hanging off the gate and swinging on it and jumping on it, while cackling at the moon, you've a good starting point.

It may be that she was forcefully closing the gate because .... it was jamming for her and she couldn't close it any other way because it was on its last legs.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    I mean accusing someone of criminal damage via the local vicar is weird.

There is a reason that she touched the gate. Was it blocking the pavement? Why would a gate even break if it is designed to open and close?

If you think she deliberately broke your gate you either phone the police or confront her. Phoning the police is a waste of their time.

If your gate is a bit old and it's conceivable that it sometimes gets in people's way and she moved it and it broke because she didn't realise she was pushing it the wrong way or just thiught it was stiff, then you probably need to live with it save escalating this into something it may not have been.

I don't really see a resolution other than getting it mended. I'm still at a loss as to how one even breaks a perfectly working gate.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,836 Thanks
    zx81
    She had come from church, I had thought if speaking with the vicar
    He could replace the gates with pearly ones.
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    It was in perfect condition before she rammed it shut now it's bent it was not on it's last legs - end of
    You can see from the video the force she used.
    There was no reason for her to even shut it anyway.
    I could call the police, I think it would be petty I just thought the vicar knows her very well and he may have a quiet word with her.
    Last edited by gillybean129; 12-03-2018 at 8:57 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It was in perfect condition before she rammed it shut now it's bent - end of
    It's not "end of" at all. You're failing to convince anyone here and we'll be a more receptive audience than she will.

Things break.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    This is nothing to do with the Church.....

The problem you will have is that you can't vouch for whether or not the gate was 100% fully functioning before she shut it. It could have been on its last legs and she was the unlucky person who shut it when it finally jammed for you.

You have a film of her shutting the gate in a forceful manner, but many people are ham-fisted... you don't have a video of her hanging off the gate and jumping up and down on it cackling at the moon .... just a heavy-fisted woman shutting a gate that probably needed some maintenance and chose that moment to break in a manner that then caused you trouble to use it.

In short .... this is something just "best left". Stuff happens. It sounds like it's possible that this stuff "just happened".

Next time, if you can get a video of her hanging off the gate and swinging on it and jumping on it, while cackling at the moon, you've a good starting point.

It may be that she was forcefully closing the gate because .... it was jamming for her and she couldn't close it any other way because it was on its last legs.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You put it much better than I did.

If she is cackling at the moon, can we see the video please?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 12th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Just let it go.
    It does you more harm worrying about it than it's worth.
    Why didshe shut it anyway?
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    I'd love to know why she shut it too...
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 12th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    Put the vid on YouTube then we can decide.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I'm sure it would make the vicar's day to be dragged into this.

For what its worth, it's only criminal damage if done intentionally. This sounds like accidental damage. I'd argue that throwing allegations of criminal damage around is a worse thing than accidentally damaging a gate.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 13-03-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Apostrophe glitch. Will it ever be fixed?!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Why is it criminal damage? You think they deliberately broke your gate because you had an argument 15 years ago?
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    It doesnít need to be deliberate to be criminal damage.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It doesnít need to be deliberate to be criminal damage.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I had to phone the police on sunday morning after our CCTV picked up someone's car being robbed. The thief wandered off with a nice new scarf and two bags.

The police came out, looked around the car and that was it. Didn't even open the door or lock it. Just tried to contact the owner to let them know.

Their interest in a broken gate is going to be less than zero, especially if intent can't be proven, which I suspect it can't as the OP thinks there's no reason for shutting a gate when the entire reason for gates existing is for them to be shut.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I had to phone the police on sunday morning after our CCTV picked up someone's car being robbed. The thief wandered off with a nice new scarf and two bags.

The police came out, looked around the car and that was it. Didn't even open the door or lock it. Just tried to contact the owner to let them know.

Their interest in a broken gate is going to be less than zero, especially if intent can't be proven, which I suspect it can't as the OP thinks there's no reason for shutting a gate when the entire reason for gates existing is for them to be shut.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    You donít need to prove intent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin