Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Degsyhall
    • By Degsyhall 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Degsyhall
    Moving homes, private renting questions
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    Moving homes, private renting questions 12th Mar 18 at 8:07 PM
    Hey all,

Looking some advice. I am due to change jobs soon and will be moving from London to Liverpool.

I am currently privately renting which I have been in now for 2 years. I was discharged bankrupt in Feb 2018 but my current landlord has never known I went bankrupt (as far as I am aware).

I wanted to know if I can use the deposit from this current flat for the deposit of a new flat?

Also I need to find a flat in Liverpool, does the OR dictate the amount I can spend per month on the flat? Or do I just find a flat and tell them thats the cost?

Also when I apply for a new flat should I be up front with the bankruptcy as I guess they will know once they credit check me. Will the discharged bankruptcy make getting a new flat difficult?

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Page 1
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 12th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 5,931 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    Hi,
    Yes you can use the deposit as the deposit for a new tenancy. It is the policy of the Insolvency Service not to claim rental deposits as an asset if this would cause difficulties in obtaining a new rental tenancy.
    An example where the deposit would be claimed is where you to move back with parents, so no deposit would be required. This is as defined in 30.98i of the Insolvency Service Technical Manual.

If you are discharged and do not have an IPA in place then the OR has no say on your rent level.

It is best to be upfront about your bankruptcy especially if through an agent as a credit check will almost certainly take place.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • Degsyhall
    • By Degsyhall 12th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Degsyhall
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I have an IPA so I donít know what to do with rent. Should I contact the OR and ask what they would find acceptable or should I just find a place and then have another discussion about expenses and go from there.

Iím going to need to look for flats soon so any advice would be great.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 13th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    If you end up paying more rent than you currently do - within reason of course - then when you tell the OR make sure you ask for the IPA to be adjusted accordingly. Include any extra travel costs too.

A good reference from your current landlord is worth its weight in gold if you are moving, most LLs just want someone who pays the rent on time, looks after the place and doesn't fall out with the neighbours. If you can tick all those boxes then ask for a written reference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

6,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin