Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lorrybobs
    • By lorrybobs 12th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lorrybobs
    Wrong goods and website gone
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    Wrong goods and website gone 12th Mar 18 at 7:36 PM
    I bought 2 Ted Baker coats (same coat, 2 sizes) online on the 27th February. I bought them on my Debenhams credit card. A parcel arrived today with 2 Burberry coats inside. They look fake. There was no delivery note inside the parcel. The coats weren't ridiculously cheap, just the price that would be expected in a sale. (So I didn't follow the 'if it sounds too good to be true....' mantra).

I have gone onto the website I bought them from and 'Talk Talk' said 'Sorry, we could not find w w w . essexwoodcraft. ...'

I have tried to get on the website on my mobile and at work.

The items have obviously been delivered , but not what I ordered.

Can anyone please advise me of my rights and what I should do next, as it appears to be difficult/ impossible to contact the seller.

Checking back now, I have no confirmation email from them but I do have a screen shot of my order number and the original order placed.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 20,343 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    Can you tell us exactly what website it was? If they really don't exist now you can take it up with whoever issues Debenhams credit cards.
    • lorrybobs
    • By lorrybobs 12th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lorrybobs
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    It won't let me post the hyperlink or a 'properly written' website because I'm a new user. It's...
    essexwoodcraft
    co
    uk

Which in hindsight looks like a ridiculous website name for clothing, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? :/
    • lorrybobs
    • By lorrybobs 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lorrybobs
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    I've googled the address it's been posted from. It seems they make a bit of a habit of this. Fantastic
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 12th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 12,341 Posts
    • 16,645 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    That might help with getting your credit card company involved - if it's a trader that keeps pulling this stunt, then the credit card companies also need to take a share of blame for repeatedly allowing them payment facilities.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    Essexwoodcraft.co.uk

easy to find

Christina Selvanayagam

Address:
    c/o Treasury Wine Estates,Regal House 70 London Road
    Twickenham
    london
    TW1 3QS
    United Kingdom
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    and a google of the above brings up the following number

020 8843 8400
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    Registration status:
    Registered until expiry date.
    *** This registration has been SUSPENDED.

So that's why the site is gone
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    it looks like the site could well have been hacked, as it used to look like this

https://web.archive.org/web/20170422093503/http://www.essexwoodcraft.co.uk/

no sign of any clothes etc
    • lorrybobs
    • By lorrybobs 12th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lorrybobs
    Wow, thanks to you both for your replies. I'll contact my credit card, share those details and take it from there. I'm just destined not to have my coat and have possibly paid dearly for nothing. Very frustrating, but it gives me a bit of hope that there are people like you out there who know what they're on about and are willing to help others.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    Wow, thanks to you both for your replies. I'll contact my credit card, share those details and take it from there. I'm just destined not to have my coat and have possibly paid dearly for nothing.
    Originally posted by lorrybobs
    It's pretty obvious now that you've been defrauded. Your credit card company should help.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    I had a quick look last night ... wasn't this company (the original, not the hacked version) declared insolvent in November 2017?

Edit: dissolved in December 2017.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05177993

If the website was still live then it would be a prime candidate for hacking.
    Last edited by DoaM; 13-03-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Les79
    it looks like the site could well have been hacked, as it used to look like this

https://web.archive.org/web/20170422093503/http://www.essexwoodcraft.co.uk/

no sign of any clothes etc
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    There is a China-based racket currently operating who buy thousands of domain names each month and put up goods for sale.

They seem to have a habit of buying domain names of recently defunct legitimate companies even if it doesn't have any connection to their items.

Nothing to do with hacking at all. I may be wrong with this specific case, but that is generally what happens.

I've previously found one of their admin websites where they store transaction records for hundreds of people across their whole network of scam sites. Quite worrying how easy it is to access this data, but to be fair the data is minimal.

I am genuinely surprised as to how easily they dupe people though! The website design is a stock design, it usually has a slapdash look about it and occasionally the English isn't perfect. Plus, I don't get why people rely on some obscure website for purchases! What happens if your item doesn't arrive? Absolutely nothing, that's what happens! One thing I like about this racket is that they DO generally send the goods (fake or not), but surely there are red flags for people who use the site?! Surely it is better to look at the main UK-based retailers first?

This is why I'd never be a good businessman, I just can't comprehend the naivety of consumers at times!
    Last edited by Les79; 13-03-2018 at 9:51 AM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    This is why I'd never be a good businessman, I just can't comprehend the naivety of consumers at times!
    Originally posted by Les79
    Let's stress, we're not calling the OP naive, as none of us have been able to see the website in question.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 20,343 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    ...we're not calling the OP naive...
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Aren't we? Would you buy a coat from a site named essexwoodcraft?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    Would you buy greetings cards from funky pigeon or moonpig?
    • Les79
    • By Les79 14th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Les79
    Let's stress, we're not calling the OP naive, as none of us have been able to see the website in question.
    I am calling the OP naive!!

They bought a COAT from a site titled Essexwoodcraft.

There's an obvious red flag in the title....

Yes I would.

1. Because they are both fairly well known brands in the UK (I can hear the tune to their adverts in my head)

2. The website address don't hint at what they actually sell! We can't buy moon pigs and we can't buy funky pigeons. Well, you can make a weak argument about the companies being used for purchasing pigs or racing pigeons etc but that's a bit obscure because generally companies selling pigeons/pigs will choose a more direct website address so that they are easily found by people who want it, not because they want to attract new people.

If they were expecting me to buy greeting cards from these addresses then I'd probably not go ahead with the purchase:

www.manchesterelectricals.com
    www.leedscrochet.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 20,343 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I take your point, but as it happens I have never bought from either as I prefer to find cards in a shop and post them myself.
    • lofielectronic
    • By lofielectronic 14th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    lofielectronic
    Yes this is a scam and quite a common one.

Often the original website/owner will not realise that their website has been hacked and is hosting this hidden store. If I spent ten minutes on Google I could probably find a dozen of them now. That said they do also buy domains as mentioned as well but agree this would be an odd domain for them to choose.

Sometimes you get nothing and sometimes you get fake goods from what I've read. As said, contact your card company asap.

It does indeed come down to the 'if it looks to good' also I'd say avoid websites who list no physical address and have broken links to facebook and twitter as these illegitimate websites rarely bother to add those details.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    I take your point, but as it happens I have never bought from either as I prefer to find cards in a shop and post them myself.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Me neither, but they were the first names that came to mind. Names appear irrelevant so often these days.

In this case, had the OP done a whois check it would have looked OK, the OP states the price didn't look unreasonably cheap. He made the sensible decision to pay by CC. At what point should you take the plunge and buy or miss out on a potential bargain?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter