Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apples92
    • By apples92 12th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    apples92
    Not paid PAYE since started work
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    Not paid PAYE since started work 12th Mar 18 at 6:27 PM
    So I have been in my current job now for 3 months. Each month, however, my payslip states that I have no deductions for PAYE. I am on a salary of 25,000 per year. Each month I receive 2083.33 before deductions. I pay 168.48 NI and 12.75 pension. This leaves me with 1902.10. However, when I check tax calculator it seems that there is 225 worth of income tax that I should be paying. Does this seem right? And if that's the case what should I do? I don't want to be hit with a massive tax bill. Any light on the issue would be of great help.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 12th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    What have you earned prior to this in this tax year?

If you're not going to go over your personal allowance, you won't pay any tax until April.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    Were you previously on a significantly higher salary? If so, I believe the tax you'd have paid there would have been on the assumption that you stay on the same salary for the rest of the tax year - and in this case, you're not being taxed at the moment in order to correct this...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 20,157 Posts
    • 15,880 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    I'm a bit suprised that nobody has asked previously, but unless you tell us what your tax code in this job is we're all guessing at the possible reasons (although I suspect it will be one or other of the explanations given in posts #2 and #3).
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    Be prepared for this to change from April.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    The op's reference to "current job" suggests the possibility of there having been a previous job but this may of course have been very low income or even in a previous tax year.

Without more detail from the op as agrinnall rightly says it's all guesswork.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    Yep. In particular, if you have been on JSA or other low benefits for a long period since last April, it probably IS correct that you aren't paying tax (until the end of this month. You may or may not pay tax this month, but you should start paying 'properly' from your April pay onwards.)

But you can work this out for yourself easily enough. You should have a copy of your p45 (and any previous p45's which relate to this year.) Add up all the money you have earned this year (include any JSA). If this comes to less than 11k and you are a standard rate taxpayer, your mystery is solved......
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • apples92
    • By apples92 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    apples92
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    Thank you so far for the replies.
    My tax code is S1150L.
    From what I am gathering from the posts so far, as long as I have not reached my personal allowance for the tax year, I won't pay tax until April. I understand the personal allowance to be 11,500.For the majority of this tax year I was a full-time student til mid September 2017 (I did work part-time but for that I wasn't and shouldn't be taxed). Then I worked at a minimum wage full-time job btw mid-September til mid-December when I then began my current job.
    I have calculated all that I will have earned up to April and it lies just below the personal allowance threshold.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 38,502 Posts
    • 35,161 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    From what I am gathering from the posts so far, as long as I have not reached my personal allowance for the tax year, I won't pay tax until April. I understand the personal allowance to be 11,500.
    Originally posted by apples92
    Correct: as long as your monthly earnings, carried forward, don't make it look as if you're going to go over your personal allowance, you're fine.

For the majority of this tax year I was a full-time student til mid September 2017 (I did work part-time but for that I wasn't and shouldn't be taxed).
    Originally posted by apples92
    Please can we just knock on the head the myth that 'students don't pay tax'!

If students don't pay tax, it's only because they are not earning and are not expected to earn more than the personal allowance.

At one stage, there was a form you could fill in to say that you were a student, and you were only working during term-time, or out of term-time, I honestly can't remember which it was. I am not sure that form still exists as I haven't employed students for many years. But if you worked both in and out of term time, your employer had to work out whether you were due to pay tax or not.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin