Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 12th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 389Posts
    • 262Thanks
    bartelbe
    Ebay item mis-described, best way to get refund?
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    Ebay item mis-described, best way to get refund? 12th Mar 18 at 6:12 PM
    Basically I ordered an item, which was listed as expensive version of the item, but when I looked closely I realised it was a cheaper version. Listing inaccurate.

Should I use paypal or ebay buyer protection to get a refund?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    You should use eBay assuming you are within 30 days of delivery.

Open the case. The seller has 8 days to give you a returns label (or refund). If they don't give you a label or refuse the return you can escalate it on day 8 and eBay will rule for you to return. They will provide a prepaid label or tell you not to bother and refund you.

Don't close the case, keep a close eye on deadlines and make sure you open the case for 'not as described', that ensures the seller pays the returns postage.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 12th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    bartelbe
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    Thanks, opened case. Really annoyed about this, listed as item that originally sold for £150. Turns out to be item that retails for £16.

Very difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for, which I suspect was what the seller was banking on.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 12th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    kangoora
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    Thanks, opened case. Really annoyed about this, listed as item that originally sold for £150. Turns out to be item that retails for £16.

Very difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for, which I suspect was what the seller was banking on.
    Originally posted by bartelbe
    Or, if it's really difficult to spot, maybe the seller got confused - not everyone who makes a mistake is a scammer
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 12th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    bartelbe
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    Or, if it's really difficult to spot, maybe the seller got confused - not everyone who makes a mistake is a scammer
    I'm 90% sure it is a scam, they had the cheapest version and choose to list it as the most expensive?

The item looks the same from the outside, it is the materials that differ. I only spotted it, because of a logo on the very edge of a photo. I had to look closely.

We will soon see if it is an honest mistake by the attitude of the response.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 13th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    bartelbe
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    The seller has got back to me and claims because it was made by the same company as the item he described, his description was OK.

So the seller believes that every product under one brand is identical. A bit like pretending a bog standard 3 series is the same as an M3, to give an example.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    Just make sure your case is clear in the eventuality that an eBay rep from foreign lands can understand....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,319Posts Today

8,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin