Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 492Posts
    • 67Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Recommendations to install leather seats (London)?
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    Recommendations to install leather seats (London)? 12th Mar 18 at 4:29 PM
    I'll probably be interested in replacing the fabric seats of a car with leather, if it doesn't cost squillions. Do you know any shop in London (ideally central or South) that would do it?

I have found these 3:
    http://www.autoleathers.co.uk/index.asp?IDTSec=ContactUs (Tooting)
    http://www.dclass.co.uk/html/contact-us.php (Cobham)
    https://www.smintc.com/

Thanks!
Page 1
    • marlot
    • By marlot 12th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    marlot
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    You don't say what car it is. But the cheapest way is usually to find a secondhand interior. Have you tried ebay?
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    I haven't bought the car yet - still undecided among a handful of models.
    On ebay I found these guys that sell "leatherette covers": https://www.carseatcoversdirect.com/
    but I am always a bit sceptical about covers - they look good in the pictures, but not always in real life!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    Make sure you get the full interior, leather door cards etc.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 17,360 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    I haven't bought the car yet - still undecided among a handful of models.
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    Then it would make far more sense to buy a car that includes leather, if you really want leather.

Apart from the cost of the retrim - even if you just fit a used interior from a scrap car - don't forget to tell your insurer about the modification.

On ebay I found these guys that sell "leatherette covers": https://www.carseatcoversdirect.com/
    but I am always a bit sceptical about covers - they look good in the pictures, but not always in real life!
    Overcovers will never be as good as proper trim. Leatherette is not leather, unless you think plastic cows are the same thing as real cows.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    don't forget to tell your insurer about the modification.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Really? It's not like changing the material of the seat makes the car more dangerous. Or do the insurers think that preferring a material that is more resistant to the spills and stains caused by a toddler (that's my only reason, which is why I don't care so much about real vs fake leather as long as it is easier to clean than fabric) makes me a riskier driver???

I have gone back to my confused.com quote. I can only think of new seats as an "interior change", but that has added £49, i.e. circa 10% to the cost of the previous quote. It's ridiculous!!

Is installing a seat cover a modification that needs to be declared to those bloodthir, ehm, to those respected professionals in the insurance business? What if I forget to declare the Peppa Pig stickers the little one leaves in the car??
    Last edited by SouthLondonUser; 12-03-2018 at 6:11 PM. Reason: typo
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    Really? It's not like changing the material of the seat makes the car more dangerous. Or do the insurers think that preferring a material that is more resistant to the spills and stains caused by a toddler (that's my only reason, which is why I don't care so much about real vs fake leather as long as it is easier to clean than fabric) makes me a riskier driver???

I have gone back to my confused.com quote. I can only think of new seats as an "interior change", but that has added £49, i.e. circa 10% to the cost of the previous quote. It's ridiculous!!

Is installing a seat cover a modification that needs to be declared to those bloodthir, ehm, to those respected professionals in the insurance business? What if I forget to declare the Peppa Pig stickers the little one leaves in the car??
    I guess adding leather might make a car more desirable to thieves. On the other hand, it might do the opposite, and reduce your premiums.

As a very broad generalisation, some cars are expected to have leather. At the other end of the market, it's un-heard of. Adding it to the latter is akin to polishing a t**d.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    Have you ever tried to remove a child's vomit or spilled milk from a fabric seat?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 13th Mar 18, 2:16 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:16 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:16 AM
    The point of telling the insurer about the modification isn't just about risk factor of the driver. What if you needed to claim because the interior had been damaged, and as far as your insurance company was concerned, the car had a fabric interior? You won't get a replacement leather trim as the car was insured as having a fabric trim. In effect you'd likely be in breach of your contract with your insurer and could find your claim unpaid and your cover cancelled. Painful lesson to learn that would be.
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 13th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    Have you ever tried to remove a child's vomit or spilled milk from a fabric seat?

Hmm can be difficult with leather as well.....

(although last time he hit the door/speaker grill!!)
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 6,476 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I just went for seat covers all round, with blankets on top in the back, under the car seats. It's such a mess back there I doubt anyone would notice what the seats were made of, and it seems overkill to get them re-trimmed.

As said, if you want leather seats, buy one with leather seats. It'll be done better and be far cheaper.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The point of telling the insurer about the modification isn't just about risk factor of the driver. What if you needed to claim because the interior had been damaged, and as far as your insurance company was concerned, the car had a fabric interior? You won't get a replacement leather trim as the car was insured as having a fabric trim. In effect you'd likely be in breach of your contract with your insurer and could find your claim unpaid and your cover cancelled. Painful lesson to learn that would be.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    They never ask if you have a leather interior though. Iíve one car that only comes in leather and another that has leather. It cane from the factory or rather more likely Bristol docs like that so is it a modification?
    • uknick
    • By uknick 13th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    I'll probably be interested in replacing the fabric seats of a car with leather, if it doesn't cost squillions. Do you know any shop in London (ideally central or South) that would do it?

I have found these 3:
    http://www.autoleathers.co.uk/index.asp?IDTSec=ContactUs (Tooting)
    http://www.dclass.co.uk/html/contact-us.php (Cobham)
    https://www.smintc.com/

Thanks!
    dClass covered a central console cover for me in grained leather with an embossed manufacturer's logo. The workmanship was good but not cheap, about £200. But, a new part from the manufacturer was about £700.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 6,476 Thanks
    Herzlos
    They never ask if you have a leather interior though. Iíve one car that only comes in leather and another that has leather. It cane from the factory or rather more likely Bristol docs like that so is it a modification?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    They likely know based on the trim model and potentially the registration number.
    If you have leather in a model which doesn't have a leather option (what we're looking at here), they may not be happy with the change.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 17,360 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There was a thread in another place recently where somebody had had the "factory" nav/head unit nicked out of their Golf. They'd not declared a mod, because as far as they were concerned, it was standard.

But, on their trim level, it was an upgrade. The insurer were absolutely adamant they were not paying for that, because it was not standard. "Out of goodwill", they eventually offered to replace with the unit that was standard for that spec.

It took a factory build sheet from VW to prove that was the original unit for that car to get them to pay out for a direct replacement, IIRC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin