Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,063Posts
    • 20,485Thanks
    csarina2
    Cooked rice
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    Cooked rice 12th Mar 18 at 4:21 PM
    I seem to have had a very senior moment and cooked far too much rice for tonights supper.

Can you freeze cooked rice and reuse it later?????
Page 1
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,064 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    Yes but freeze immediately, and reheat/eat as soon as thawed (thaw in fridge).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 62,786 Posts
    • 367,872 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    Yes, cool/freeze it immediately. .... rice should be cooled and refrigerated within an hour of serving. Once in the fridge you can eat it within 2-3 days, or throw it in the freezer if you know you won't eat rice in that time.

Just run it in cold water, into a tupperware, toss that in the fridge to continue cooling ... then in an hour or so's time when it's cooled from the fridge toss it in the freezer.

This quick cooling time is more important than the reheating bit to be honest.

To serve just make sure it's thoroughly and absolutely piping/steaming/raging hot when you reheat it; it can be reheated by any method you like.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 12th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 9,927 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    Personally I don't risk it, ever. But then I never have too much because I always weigh 2oz per person.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,542.32
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,438.50
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,782 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    rice is cheap, it isn't worth the risk, let it go...
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-03-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 12th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    SmlSave
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    I do all the time. Family is still alive...
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 20,723 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    I don't do it as I don't like the difference in texture it gives.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 12th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 9,247 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    I would never risk it. It is too cheap to worry about. 75g per person works well.
    • katkins78
    • By katkins78 13th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    katkins78
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    I often cook an extra portion of rice, when cooked I rinse the extra in a sieve under the cold tap then spread it thinly on a tray and refridgerate, as soon as cool enough I pop it in the freezer. I use it to make egg fried rice or to make a biriyani.

I agree that it is essential to cool the rice as quickly as possible so the bacteria doesn't have a chance to multiply.

Genuine question- pasta, couscous, bulghur wheat,pastry and even potatoes are also affected by this bacteria, so why the focus on rice? Does it affect rice worse? Genuine question.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 29,653 Thanks
    suki1964
    I think the concern with rice is that people tend not to think about how they are storing cooked rice. We have all had left over take away and eaten it cold the following day after leaving it out on the counter, or we have reheated it causing the bacteria to multiply even more

Thing about take away rice is you don't know how long its been sat there being kept warm in the first place. Ive seen many a take away where the rice dish has been precooked and reheated on order, which is fine if it was cooled and refrigerated according to guidelines. When I worked in a kitchen rice had to be cooled and refrigerated within 20 minutes with a 48 hr store life
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 14th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 8,460 Thanks
    Callie22
    Genuine question- pasta, couscous, bulghur wheat,pastry and even potatoes are also affected by this bacteria, so why the focus on rice? Does it affect rice worse? Genuine question.
    Originally posted by katkins78
    As Suki says, I think the focus is on rice because of takeaways, who generally cook large portions of rice and reheat it to order. When I did food hygiene training (which was a few years ago, admittedly ...) we were told that the 'dodgy tum' you get after a takeaway curry is more likely to have been caused by the rice rather than by the curry itself. People are also more likely to save leftover takeaway food and reheat it, not necessarily realising that the rice has already been reheated once and it shouldn't really be reheated again. Certainly the impression I got when doing the training was that this was a bit less of an issue for food cooked in domestic kitchens as people tend not to cook and reheat in that kind of quantity, and of course you know what's happened to food in your own kitchen before you cook it.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 14th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    I think that the above replies are correct - also that rice clings together in a lump more easily, so may not get heated through thoroughly the way that other stuff does.
    If I want to freeze, I do as suggested above. I also reckon that 24 hours in a fridge is OK, and then follow the advice about re-heating it - or use it in a salad.
    My precautions are that I don't re-heat from take-aways (which I rarely buy anyway) as I don't know the 'history' and I don't re-heat for anyone vulnerable. But rice I have cooked myself, re-heated for healthy adults - fine.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 29,653 Thanks
    suki1964
    I think that the above replies are correct - also that rice clings together in a lump more easily, so may not get heated through thoroughly the way that other stuff does.
    If I want to freeze, I do as suggested above. I also reckon that 24 hours in a fridge is OK, and then follow the advice about re-heating it - or use it in a salad.
    My precautions are that I don't re-heat from take-aways (which I rarely buy anyway) as I don't know the 'history' and I don't re-heat for anyone vulnerable. But rice I have cooked myself, re-heated for healthy adults - fine.
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    Lets just be sure here

HEATING THOROUGHLY DOES NOT KILL BACILLUS CEREUS

So eating left over rice from a takeaway poses the same risk either hot or cold

No Ive been lucky and have never got sick but I may just be lucky or Ive a cast iron stomach
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 20,723 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Correct, it's not destroyed by heat. Only solution is to prevent bacterial reproduction in the first place
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin