Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 12th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    Ford Fiesta Automatic Problem
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    Ford Fiesta Automatic Problem 12th Mar 18 at 4:13 PM
    Hi Everyone....first time posting.

Got a Ford Fiesta automatic 62 reg. Had a flat battery, charged it up and then a message appeared....transmission malfunction service. Did some goggling and apparently itís a known fault with the car. Ford have given a ten year extended warranty on the part in America, in the UK we only get a five year one. Took it to the garage and they agreed its a problem Ford are aware of. Asked if we would get the same problem with the new part, told we wouldnít because the parts now been modified. Cost for repair over £500. The car is only eight weeks over the extended warranty and only done 15,000 miles. Phoned Ford custumers services and got nowhere,,,,over the 60 month warranty...end of story.

So, my question is....if Ford are aware of the fault why
    a...They didnít do a recall
    b...Are they obliged to offer replacement free due to it being a faulty part when purchased
    c...Why in America they get twice the warranty that we get

I just donít think we should have to foot the bill for the repair when itís clearly a fault they have been aware of for some time,

Any help in would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Ms Mop 123
    Last edited by Ms Mop 123; 12-03-2018 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Page 1
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 12th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    Did you charge the battery with it still connected to the car?

You might want to google the fault and see what other people had e.g.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/295408-transmission-malfunction-service-now-2.html
    Last edited by EdGasketTheSecond; 12-03-2018 at 9:13 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 26,967 Posts
    • 10,865 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    Hi Everyone....first time posting.

So, my question is....if Ford are aware of the fault why
    a...They didn!!!8217;t do a recall. Not all suffer the fault.

b...Are they obliged to offer replacement free due to it being a faulty part when purchased. Faulty when purchased yet lasted 6 years?

c...Why in America they get twice the warranty that we get. Are you sure, just looked and the Fiesta was 3 years in the USA.

I just don!!!8217;t think we should have to foot the bill for the repair when it!!!8217;s clearly a fault they have been aware of for some time,

Any help in would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Ms Mop 123
    Originally posted by Ms Mop 123

Just looking at it from the other side of the coin. It lasted 6 years so was it faulty when new?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Mar 18, 6:33 AM
    • 13,541 Posts
    • 8,599 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:33 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:33 AM
    Just looking at it from the other side of the coin. It lasted 6 years so was it faulty when new?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here, but just because it lasted 6 years doesn't mean something isn't inherently faulty. And there are also rules around how long goods should last. 15k miles on a box seems very low.

Saying that if the fault only flagged up when the battery ran flat it could simply be a case the error needs to be cleared.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 26,967 Posts
    • 10,865 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    15k is low, but does the OP actually have the issue they think they have?

You yourself mentioned the fault only appeared after the battery died and a new one fitted. If the box had serious wear then they should have noticed the faults previously.

No mention of any fault with the box other than the warning light after a battery issue.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 13th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    Thought first I!!!8217;d explain what the problem is. The car will change from first to second perfectly okay, but when changing from second to third it takes along time, the rev counter goes up to 4,000 revs before it changes and it won!!!8217;t go into fourth. I think it!!!8217;s called limp home mode.

Answers to questions raised.

The battery was in the car when charged. We checked all the leads to make sure they were tight. Have googled the problem and have tried different suggestions, but nothing worked.

From what I!!!8217;ve found out the fault only becomes obvious once the car battery has been flat a few times. Sod!!!8217;s law it!!!8217;s happened when the car is only eight weeks out of warranty and not before. The car was first registered in Jan 2013. It!!!8217;s only just over five years old and not six which was mentioned in one of the replies.

Don!!!8217;t think there is a problem with the battery, it only does short journeys (hence low milesge) and during the recent snow it wasn!!!8217;t driven for several days, add to that it was very cold, hence the battery died and needed charging again.

I!!!8217;m afraid that because I am a newbie to this site i am unable to put up links yet, could of directed you to where I found out about the extended 10 year warranty in America.
    It states that they are extending the warranty to ten years or 150,000 miles. I!!!8217;m sure if you google Ford Fiesta extended warranty tcm you will find it.

I did ring Ford Customer service last Friday, told the lady my tale of woe, she said if it was diagnosed with the tcm problem it would be replaced free of charge. I got the ref number of the phone call. When the garage phoned once it had been diagnosed with the fault, only to be told it wouldn!!!8217;t be fixed free of charge. I!!!8217;ve phoned since and they just won!!!8217;t budge, I!!!8217;ve asked them to listen to the phone call and they won!!!8217;t....all I get is it!!!8217;s out of it!!!8217;s 60 month extended warranty. Just gets me so annoyed thatFord obviously are aware of the problem, their now fitting a modified part, yet we are left to pay to have it sorted.

Ms Mop 123
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 13th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    Why do all them numbers appear in my reply?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 13th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    It happens with Apple "intelligent" punctuation on this forum lately.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    If the charger does not have a 'smoothed' output then the battery should have been disconnected from the car for charging. The pulses and spikes from low-end or old chargers can damage car electronics. That might have caused the unit to fail or it migtht just be coincidence.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    It quite well could have been if it were a design fault. Nvidia several years ago infamously had a manufacturing error in every 8000 series graphics chip that they made and they admitted every single one of them would fail because of this, it wasn't a question of if but when. I know of someone who got the thick end of half a decade out of his because of light use but it did eventually fail and the people who made the laptop replaced the mainboard even though it was well out of any warranty.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The pulses and spikes from low-end or old chargers can damage car electronics.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    No they can't. The charger is connected to a massive capacitor, the battery, which smooths them out. On a petrol engine car the electronics will get more and worse spikes from degrading plug leads and back EMF from the starter motor than a charger.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 7,481 Posts
    • 5,959 Thanks
    daveyjp
    The Powershift gearbox is a disaster, worse than the VW DSG. Too late now, but its one to avoid.

As for warranty, the class action system is far better organised in the US.

Ford are wary of a huge claim, especially if a gearbox failure causes an accident. Far cheaper for them to extend a warranty than risk someone ignoring an issue due to cost or having a go at fixing it themselves.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    No they can't. The charger is connected to a massive capacitor, the battery, which smooths them out. On a petrol engine car the electronics will get more and worse spikes from degrading plug leads and back EMF from the starter motor than a charger.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Well Honest John says best to disconnect the battery:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/11276448/Should-I-disconnect-my-battery-to-charge-it.html

The battery may be like a large capacitor but that won't suppress transient spikes which require many small capacitors. I always disconnect the battery when charging; ecu's are too expensive to fry.

Posts 7 and 10 in this thread:
    https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2233-Charging-car-battery
    Last edited by EdGasketTheSecond; 13-03-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 13th Mar 18, 8:06 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    Forgot to add. When we took the car to the Ford dealership I mentioned what I had found out on the internet about it being a fault that Ford were aware of. The gentleman who booked the car in replied....I cannot lie to you, yes it is s fault with the car. They have tried themselves to get Ford to agree to authorise the replacement free of charge but have got nowhere. They did originally quote a price of around £530, when I phoned them to say I hadn!!!8217;t got anywhere with Ford, the gentleman on the phone said...hang on a minute, I will see what I can do....he came back with a revised quote of £440. Credit where credits due....they didn!!!8217;t have to do that... but in my opinion they do think Fords approach to this is wrong.
    • Goldenyears
    • By Goldenyears 13th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Goldenyears
    My wife's 2013 automatic Fiesta occasionally gave the powertrain fault warning, but it wasn't persistent and I never noticed anything amiss. The OP's fault is one of the problems that trashed the reputation of the Powershift transmission, but not the main one. That was the juddering fault that was cured temporarily by new clutch packs. My wife's car was on its third clutch pack when we sold it in 2016. They lasted about 5000 miles. The transmission warranty had just been extended to 5 years in 2016 and we took advantage since the third set of clutch packs were due to fail by 2018 when out of warranty. The clutch pack problem may be exacerbated by town driving.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 14th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    The clutch pack problem may be exacerbated by town driving.
    Originally posted by Goldenyears
    Auto clutch solutions will always strughle to deal with creeping. Manually we will recognise that we are riding the clutch when crawling so will switch to an off/on style of driving. A full auto with torque converter is happy creeping. Dual clutches will have a speed where they happily burn the clutch out without letting on. Partial solutions have been to engage the clutch more fiercely but then you get a rougher start.
    • missile
    • By missile 14th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    Because you have posted using apostrophes via an iPhone.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 14th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Is it a powershift gearbox???? If so did you have the gearbox oil changed at the proper intervals by a Ford garage? If so then you have a case against Ford if not then I think you will just have to pay up to get it sorted.
    The Powershift gearbox is a great bit of kit but needs the oil changing, which is a complicated process, regularly. Garages often miss out doing the oil change and just do the filters and oil type service to get the price down.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 14th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I notice that these Fords have now reverted to the tried and tested torque converter autobox, which they never should have abandoned in the first place.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 14th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    Asked husband and yes itís a power shift gearbox. It was sux months old when we purchased it, didnít need servicing until 12 months. Itís had every service on time at a Ford garage. Knightstyle you said Iíve got a claim against Ford, but how do I go about it? Theyíve just said NO! I did ask to speak to the call centres manager but he said he couldnít put me through. I asked why only to be told he couldnít....I think it was more of he wouldnít than couldnít. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Iím going to send a message via Facebook to them, unfortunately Iím not on Twitter. Even considering contact BBC watchdog and rip off Britain. Shame them on national TV. I just feel so strongly about all of this. Theyíve sold cars that a few years down the line found out thereís a major problem with the transmission and the consumer is left with the cost of the repair. Eight weeks out of warranty and only 15,000 miles on the clock,
    Last edited by Ms Mop 123; 14-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin